Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2013
      0 points
    I have been experimenting with Vegan soaps in my line up since I have a friend who has requested them. In the past I haven't been too interested in Vegan soaps since I just love the creaminess lard brings to the bar and I don't feel I get that with most of the vegetable based soaps I have tried.
    Is it in my head or do vegan soaps tend to not last as long in the shower as their lard/tallow counterparts?
    For me they seem to melt away twice as fast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    Hmmmm - maybe you like them so much you keep lathering and lathering?

All jokes aside though, vegan soaps can be just as creamy and luxurious as soaps based on animal fats. It really just depends on your combination of oils. Since I started hot processing mine, I found that they are creamier and bubblier than any soaps I'd made before, even the ones with tallow. I have not found that they melt away faster and not one of my customers has complained about them not lasting as long since the switch.

Have to add that I switched from tallow based soaps to all vegetable oils about a year and a half ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    Hot processing makes them more creamy and bubbly????- Hmmmm......

I know those honeysuckle ones you made for one of the swaps with the GMO free shortening were superb. I liked them so much that I have tried to get that shortening but since it is a small new company it is not available outside TN
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2013
      1 point
    It's available - in fancy whole foods stores - for primo prices. I was lucky to find large quantities inexpensively at a local grocery outlet. I love salvage shopping, you never know what you'll find. However, they don't have any more and when I tried to order the commercial size block of shortening directly from Earth Balance, I was snubbed. I tried several times, even told them that if they gave me good customer service, I knew 200 soap makers that would instantly order the same fat. But no, I do not have a food service license, nor run an institution that prepares food, so NO GO. And I'm not paying 4 dollars a pound, so it's back to olive, palm and coconut oil. At least I know with those three that there are no GMO's in there. Trouble with tallow and lard is that in most instances you don't know what the pigs or cows were fed. Chances are it's GMO corn.

But back to your original comment, Mesha. I have heard other soap makers say that before. Animal fats last longer. I used to make tallow soaps and get that from my customers all the time "your soap lasts soooooo long!". Funny thing is, I still get it just as much. Nobody seems to notice a difference. Some soaps go faster for me in the shower than others, but I suspect some of it has to do with scent and how much I like it, because then I will lather up all over again for a second time.
  1.   1 point
    I have never made animal fat soaps, I do not like the smell lard/tallow leaves in the middle of the bar. I know, just me I am sure, decided lard was better used for tortillas and biscuits. :) On that note, my bars last a long time, I have never had complaints from any of my customers. My main oils are: Olive, Coconut, palm, palm kernel shea or cocoa butter. If you are concerned with a hard bar of soap after switching add a T. of salt per pound of oil.
    • CommentAuthorrocky
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2013
      1 point
    I usually use coconut, hydrogenated soybean, palm kernel, castor, and olive oils in various combinations. The lard based soaps I've done came out good but were not well received by most. My "old school" friends and reenactor friends like the lightly scented ones but the plain does seem piggy. Could be in my head, at least there is something there! Bill
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2013
      2 points
    Something of interest I came upon recently about "vegan" soaps or vegan anything for that matter is that it's almost like having Kosher products - meaning, the entire kitchen needs to be vegan, along with the utensils, bowls, etc. I'm not sure if every vegan feels this strongly about their products, but I thought it made sense in a way. So, for that reason alone, I don't make vegan soaps, as I love my tallow soap and my kitchen also plays double-duty as my home kitchen also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2013
      0 points
    My friend is Vegan bcse she is a big animal advocate and feels to buy animal based products contributes to the abuse of animals several of the big companies are known for.

I don't notice a scent from the lard soaps I make but I can sure smell the tallow in them. I also have had some issues in having crumbly soaps with the tallow but it wasn't worth trying to figure out why since I wasn't a fan. Matter of fact I have tallow I bought that I need to rehome before it goes bad.