Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    I would like to formulate mroe of my bath bombs and milk baths with essential oils, but honestly they kind of scare me. I am worried I will use the wrong EO and it will not be ok to soak in.

Is there anyone here that can help me formulate a few blends, preferably to match my soaps, of EO's that are safe for soaking in the tub? Other than Lavender.

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorc2bb54
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013
      1 point
    I would suggest that you get a good book on Essential Oils to find out which ones are skin safe. I personally don't like to take recommendations, without studying about them myself and having good reference material to pull from. Having studied essential oils and having many excellent books and monographs about them, I would never consider making anything with essential oils without first obtaining factual data about them. Just my 2 cents worth. Cindy
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      0 points
    If we carry the essential oil in our catalog, then it is skin/cosmetic safe AT appropriate usage rates. You wouldn't want a strong peppermint, but a very light peppermint can be done. Orange is good but if too much is used, it can be 'drying' to the skin due to the solvent properties. If you would like, shoot Tina an e-mail and she can help you. She has some excellent blends floating around in her head.
  2.   0 points
    I do have a ton of books on essential oils. One book says yes and another says no. I have researched until I am blind, and still confused on a few EO's.

Thanks Andee, that is good to know about the catalog, and yes Peppermint at a very low rate is awesome... too much is well, cooling yet warming at the same time.

oh how Tina will love me! Wait, she loves me anyway! :)

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    I guess I have a tough hide because I haven't had many issues so far with lavender, chamomile, neroli, bergamot, rosemary etc..... Citrus can be irritating (lime especially) as well as mints of any kind you need to go very light on because they can....er, ah.... cause tender bits to sting. I've read that frankincense, cedarwood and sandalwood are usable too. Granted, most of what I make is for myself so it if doesn't work, I'm the only injured (or stinging) party.
  3.   0 points
    Thansk Esther,

I just worry about throwing a product out there feeling unsure myself. I need to have total confidence in my bath soaks, they are a different product than a wash off like soap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    Why not do mini-batches (like 1/2 cup bath bombs)? It's never dawned on me to be concerned about EO's because there are so many bath salt-bomb-soak recipes out there using them and some are classic standards in baths (lavender, chamomile etc). The one's I've personally had issues with I've listed. I think if you do small test runs, then label clearly what's in your stuff, the consumer can be aware of what they're using if there is an intolerance or allergy.

Keep in mind, not everyone likes the same stuff nor reacts to it the same way.
  4.   0 points
    I would not even know how to do 1/2 cup formulation of bath bomb mixture. Every skin type is different so true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
      0 points
    I would think that it would be way safer to use them in bath bombs then it would soaps and other products. When you add them to the tub they are going to be way more diluted.
    I tend to use the Essential Oils book by Julia Lawless as a reference since I have been told her information is some of the most accurate. I wish I could remember who told me about it though I know it was someone I felt was legit- Lavender Lady perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
      1 point
    I have a little story on this subject that might make you smile.

I have a male friend who is very much into essential oils and their health benefits. One day, he was coming down with something and not feeling so well. So he decided to take a hot bath and soak it off. His choice of oil was ginger. When he ran his bath, he just splashed a few drops in there and decided, hmmmmm, maybe add a few more drops.

So far so good, but he forgot two things:

1) Essential oils float on top of water.
    2) Certain body parts float when you get in the tub.

To make a long story short, his privates were on fire for two days.
  5.   0 points
    Yeah Christine, I did that once with Eucalyptus, and really did not even use very much. well that not very much was too much.

Poor guy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      1 point
    In one of our swaps, someone made a super menthol FOOT SOAK that I dumped in the tub by mistake.

Oh goody, was I awake and dancing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      0 points
    Snork! I just spewed my tea! It sounds like the guy who called Tina years ago wanting to know how to make soap because his friend made some and gave him a bar of peppermint soap. The poor guy had itchies behind his lectern all day as he was teaching college classes!
    • CommentAuthorkeithlacon
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013 edited
      0 points
    Esther, the same happened with me once and now I use it once a week. Super menthol is great and has awesome smell and which is good for our skin as well as for our body.
    http://www.cellublue.com/