Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
      0 points
    A friend is in need of some plain, no fragrance, no color added soap due to allergies.... and me, thinking "Oh! This is definitely an easy cold process project". I used my standard recipe that works every time.

As usual, I suck at cold process soap. My kitchen is cold so I let it sit on a heating pad to process and this morning there is an oily surface on the bars. I need to mail this to her by the end of the week, so do I make more, this time hot process, or can it be fixed?

Can I dust the bars in corn starch and let them sit?

Should I just use them for laundry soap?
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014
      0 points
    I would wait another 24 hours, then if the oily stuff is still there, go ahead and rebatch the stuff. I have done this numerous times.....only then if it still fails does it become laundry soap!!!
  1.   0 points
    Is the batch firm enough to be unmolded and cut? Is the oil, just a film, or thicker? Did that make sense?

This happens to me on occasion, I cut the bars leave in a well ventilated area or even throw them in front of a fan. usually within a day or so, the film of oil has absorbed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
      0 points
    How thick is the layer of oil? Why do you 'usually' suck at cold process? How can we fix that problem as well?

I'm wondering if you have a thin layer of glycerin or beads of glycerin on top of the soap. If it is glycerin then it will likely reabsorb into the soap, just leave it.

No dusting needed. No laundry soap bars.

More info please!

Tina
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited
      0 points
    Just a very slight sheen of oil on the surface, and not the whole surface. The bars are relatively hard, though I realize, I probably could have used less water. I used molds (she wanted horse heads so I used those) and they're unmolded and they're already looking a bit better. I think they may need to age a bit to dry out and de-oil.

Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
      0 points
    I have had some FO bead up on the outside like that and a few extra days in the mold is all that's needed. I just inspect it really well and use Phenolthaline on several of the shavings throughout while cutting them to make sure. I'm paranoid like that.
    If it is more then just the finest coat of oil then I'd probably dump it all in the crock pot, melt it down and cook it about 30 min then test it just to be sure it's neutral.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
      0 points
    It looks better today, so I'm going to mail it out to her. It probably could stand to dry another week.... So I'll include that in the box.