Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014
      1 point
    When I asked this forum...... What you wish someone had told you when you first started making soap.......so I could make sure I was telling my Soap Making Boot Camp "everything".......Cece mentioned keeping good records, and I agreed siting a "mistake" I made that resulted in a GREAT stain stick (soap not good for skin but great at removing stains from clothes) that I could not duplicate because I had not kept good records. I have that on my agenda for next week.........well it happened to me AGAIN

YEARS ago (1998) I made a wonderful Goat's Milk Soap for a soap exchange. It was a large batch (96 oz) and I used canned undiluted Goat's Milk.

In 2010 I reduced the size of the batch to 32 oz BUT "forgot" to record what I did and the results were not good. I ended up with a really soft soap, with an oily sheen. It did eventually dry out, but I was not happy with it......I started trying to figure out what was going on, and determined that I had not reduced the amount of goat's milk enough (plus had increased the Castor oil to 3 oz in 2 pounds.....which was ok)......but once again I didn't keep good records, so when I made this for my boot camp I reverted BACK to the recipe with the higher amount of canned goat's milk, and once again have a soap I'm less than thrilled with. I should have tossed (or at least kept separate) the "less than great" recipe.

Moral of this long winded post is KEEP GOOD RECORDS ;-) Thanks for the reminder Cece.....now to go "clean out" my soap binder