Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
      0 points
    Andee I know you tested several home "herbs and spices" in soap, but I was wondering if you/anyone has tried things like red cabbage, or beets to cook down in water and then use that water to color your CP soap? I'm assuming you'd add it at trace???

I've added spices as a dry ingredient in the past (and I like the little colored specks) but have a request for adding a homemade "dye".......The only thing I've used like that is strong coffee. What about cocoa powder? Does it have to be mixed with water before adding to the soap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    Red cabbage and beets act as PH indicators and change color when they come in contact with lye. The result is a dirty grayish sage green.
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    ICK.....not really what I was looking for. I read long ago that red cabbage resulted in a blue color......I guess I'll infuse some Paprika with oil and see how that works.

Thanks for saving me from what sounds like a mess!
  1.   0 points
    Cocoa powder will make a really dark brown(imagine that). ;) I have used it once, diluted the cocoa in some of the oil from my batch. It made brown bubbles, but non staining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
      1 point
    Turmeric powder makes a very intense ocre yellow. Works really well in soap.

Another thing I have tried is betacarotine capsules. Just popped them with a needle and added at trace. It does work and makes a good orange, however, after the soap cures, the orange is reminiscent of DOS, so I won't be doing that again.