Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
      0 points
    Let me say first that I've been away from ANY soap forum for years. So maybe I haven't kept up with the "news" like I should but I've been making milk soaps for 15 years.....and I was always told to cut the water (to mix with lye) in half, then add the rest of the liquid (milk) at trace. Now I read that everyone is mixing the lye right in with the milk. Is there a reason that way is better? I've never had any scorching or nasty smells.

Also I have always insulated ALL of my soap (even if it's just putting it in my hot garage in the summer.....I live in Florida) and the milk soaps especially go through the gel stage.....I've never had any "erupt" or crack. I don't use palm or palm kernel oil, but do use either tallow or lard. Now I read about people going to great lengths to stop the gel stage......what am I missing?

Please fill me in
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
      0 points
    I mix my milk into my oils before I add the water/lye mixture and haven't had any problems with scorching.
    But I, too, don't know why people try to avoid gel. Sometimes my soap gels and other times it doesn't but it has never presented a problem in the end product.

I don't insulate, I leave them on the counter top, molds. When I use my wood loaf mold that's when I get most gelling. But sometimes I see the small molds go through it. Maybe that is when I get the most ash??
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    hmmmm that's interesting. I'm planning on making a batch of Goat's Milk Soap tomorrow or Monday. Maybe I'll try mixing it in with the oils. I rarely have any problem with ash even using individual molds

Thanks for the info
    Mary
  1.   0 points
    I freeze the milk, add the lye, you get full milk in the batch that way. As far as not gelling, people say that by not gelling a milk soap you get a whiter bar.

Crystal
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
      2 points
    I have used undiluted (evaporated) canned goats milk frozen until "slushy", added at trace, so I guess in essence it would be considered whole milk counting the water in which to mix the lye.

This past time I made it the milk was closer to room temp when added and the soap IS much darker......it did gel but didn't "erupt, or crack"