Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   1 point
    Thoughts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
      6 points
    Convenience and price. Palm has to be special ordered and in the volume required I take a hit with shopping prices.... Lard is cheap and 10 minutes away on the grocery shelf.
  2.   1 point
    Esther,

Do you find that the there is a "scent" of the lard remaining in the center of the bar?
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
      4 points
    I agree totally with Esther. It's inexpensive and makes nice soap. I don't have a problem with any unwanted lard scent. I also use tallow that I cooked down from a bunch of FREE beef fat I got when our local WinnDixie Grocery store was having a big steak sale......they advertised that they did a special trim on their steaks, so when I asked what they did with the excess fat they gladly gave me a huge box full. I cooked it down outside using my big turkey fryer filled with the hard white fat and water.

I like animal fat for soap, and cringe every time I hear a soap maker state that soap made with animal fat "clogs your pores".....
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014
      2 points
    I love animal fats in soap, lard and tallow. But I won't buy it at the grocery store. I will not use it unless i know what the animals that produce these fats have been fat. Grocery store lard comes from pigs that have been raised in tiny crates being fed genetically modified corn. It also contains additives that I do not want in my soap.

Sometimes I get lucky and someone I know butchers a pig they raise, or I get my hands on some premium tallow from a local meat processor. Then I will spend a day or two rendering fat and I'm a happy soaper. But commercial animal fat? No thank you!
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      1 point
    I just WISH I knew people personally that raise cows and pigs......I'd LOVE to get the fat that way
  3.   1 point
    We do butcher our own pigs, but I have yet to render the lard. I am looking at replacing Palm with Lard, and it would be about 100# a year so far that I would need. I am going to have to go commercial. I am currently looking into our local meat processors to see if they ever reneder the lard.
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      3 points
    I know my Aunt supplied the local butcher with the fat and he rendered it for her (for cooking)......of course that was 30 years ago, but my guess is you'll be able to find someone to do it, especially if you supply the fat......maybe a small butcher shop would be more willing. What a great marketing feature.......you KNOW where the lard/fat comes from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
      1 point
    I don't notice a scent from lard once it is saponified but the odor of tallow is easily picked up by my nose. I believe that the ability to smell or not smell them is going to vary from person to person. I even had a customer once who could detect the odor of the lye in my bars so he could tell which soaps were the most cured ones.
    • CommentAuthorSunflower2
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
      2 points
    I make CP soaps with LARD and there is a difference in quality between different brands and stores. One grocery store brings it in on their Dairy Truck while others have it with regular freight. Lard is hard to find in 5-gallon buckets unless you go to a wholesale source. Most of the lard available has some additives to preserve the quality and that is no concern for me as the quality of your soap in not affected.

Lard and other animal fats take longer to saponify than vegetable oils, this is where replacing a vegetable oil gets a little tricky. In my experience, replacing 10-20% of the total oils with lard makes a great soap! If you feel a need to render the lard yourself for your own satisfaction, its a costly process when you consider the time and energy involved. Even if the fat back was given to me by a butcher shop, there is no way to render 50 pounds of lard for the same price as I pay from a restaurant supply.
  4.   1 point
    I know it takes ALL DAY to render out the fat for Lard or Tallow, but for ME, it makes me feel like Little House on the Prairie, and makes me FEEL like I am doing something that saves my family money. I did 25 pounds of it once and yes, and all day adventure indeed. But for ME, I don't do ANY OF THIS for the cost of coming out ahead. For ME, I do this for the Pure Love of the Hobby, and the Adventure and the THRILL of making 25 pounds of Tallow for my family and friends to APPRECIATE when they get a bar of soap from me. Yes, their are so many rewards when you do your own rendering. YES, it takes time and if you got paid money for your time, or NOT paid, well then you are loosing money. But if you do it for OTHER factors, you will always come out ahead. Every time I look into my fridge or freezer and see my lovely Tallow, I get all HAPPY INSIDE :-)
  5.   2 points
    It doesn't take All day. I do 25 lbs in two batches. The only reason that I don't do 2 bags a day is that it would take all of my bowls and the egg refrigerator would be full of chilling lard. I love the way soap made with lard feels. So even if I didn't have a ton (12 bags of pork fat this year) of it I would still make soap with lard. If you cook it too long it gets color and a porky odor. Otherwise it is snowy white with very little odor. I love lard.
  6.   0 points
    well it takes all day for Tallow...at least my batch of 25 pounds did..well worth it tho and the BEST soap I have ever made. Actually I have NEVER tried Lard as of yet....dont know, just never have. I started saving my bacon fat and have about 4 ounces now saved up. I know I can buy it for cheap, I am just more...well, if i can do it myself, I will, kinda gal :-)

who knows, maybe Lard WILL be better than Tallow. I shall soon find out :-)
  7.   0 points
    From some things that I have read, mixing lard and tallow is really good. Something about the tallow being harder?
  8.   0 points
    I have just made my first batch of cold process soap using tallow as the main fat. So far it looks wonderful. Hasn't cured yet! I rendered it myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2015
      1 point
    Tallow soaps are some of the most beautiful and long lasting soaps. The beauty part is that tallow is also a very white oil and allows for coloring easily without any funny surprises.
  9.   0 points
    I love palm & lard soaps, but if I had to pick one....lard soaps are soooo nice! I can buy a bucket of lard from Wal-Mart (5lbs) for about $6 (maybe a little less).
  10.   1 point
    Tiny bit off topic: I don't make soaps, but coming from a family of farmers, I know this : anything fried in lard is about 10X better than shortening!
    •  
      CommentAuthorc2bb54
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017
      0 points
    I have to agree with you Veronablend. Although I rarely if ever eat fried foods, Lard makes everything taste better, lol.