Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcgawlik77
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
      0 points
    Hey all, new to soaping here!

This is a couple of my test batches I came up with. Would love to know what you think

Test A: 50% raw cocoa butter (using up some I don't like)
    20% organic coconut oil
    20% grapeseed oil (using up what I have)
    10% unrefined shea butter

This made a wickid hard bar but I feel it stunk, don't know if it was the cocoa butter or eo I used but it smells awful. However the lather is awesome and rinces clean.

Test B: 50% extra virgin olive oil
    25% organic coconut oil
    18.75% unrefined shea butter
    6.25% jojoba oil

Went with a fo instead of eo here. Smells wonderful, lathers awesome, but is very soft.. plan on allowing to cure a bit longer but I don't see it hardening much more..

Test C.. 50% lard
    20% organic coconut oil
    20% extra virgin olive oil
    10% grapeseed oil
    ( still in the mold) we shall see
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      0 points
    While we believe there is no positively wrong choice for oils we look for a balanced impact on the final bars. As you have noted the softest soap has 50% olive oil (which makes a very soft bar
    and must take 6 to 8 weeks before getting really hard). The hardest bar has 50% cocoa butter. Cocoa butter and coconut oil can make bars so hard that sharp corners feel more like razor blades.

So.... if you want a more balanced bar of soap you will need to look at a more balanced oil mixture. Having said that, there is no feeling like the one of clearing out the cupboard and using up what is left over from other projects.

Tina
    • CommentAuthorcgawlik77
      0 points
    On another note, so far all have taken on the color of the darkest oil used..
    I was counting on the one with lard being more of a white color, but its still in the mold doing its thing, only threw it together a couple hours ago
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
      0 points
    Test A sounds wonderfully rich! Now I want to go and make a cocoa butter soap!
    • CommentAuthorcgawlik77
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
      0 points
    Oh it was, I just didn't care for the scent. I added a bit of tea tree oil and it just didn't work well with that much cocoa butter..
    However it makes for an excellent shaving bar.. not one nik so far I most always follow with a sugar scrub and have been getting away with using less ( kinda bad since I dont get to experiment with those much anymore). I came up with what I think is an orginal formula for a scrub thats amazing
    • CommentAuthorcgawlik77
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
      0 points
    I think I have a combination I like...

30% (homemade) beef tallow
    30% coconut oil
    30% lard (not homemade)
    10% pomace olive oil

I was concerned the tallowey smell would come through but it did not..
    For lack of any other colorants on hand I used regular food coloring (the bubbles are still white)
    This lathers like crazy, smells awesome, and seems like its going to be a nice hard bar, but not too hard...
    I think I'm on the right track to make some splendid products
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
      1 point
    Sounds like you are moving in the right direction! Have you read Taylor's blog post about formulating stable soap recipes? If not, it is some food for thought. http://blog.thesage.com/2014/02/28/introduction-to-soap-making-day-1/
    • CommentAuthorcgawlik77
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
      0 points
    Headed over to read it now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
      0 points
    When I was new to making soap someone here (Esther I believe) gave me a guide something like this one. This is my modification of it.

30- 65 % base oil like lard, tallow, soybean/palm combo
    20 - 30% coconut
    5- 10 % luxury oils and butters
    20- 30% olive, sunflower, rice bran
    5- 10% castor

You can read that thread here- http://forum.thesage.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=610&page=1#Item_23