Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
      1 point
    I don't get here nearly as often as I'd like.......life happens (I dislocated my shoulder and am STILL waiting to see if I need surgery or just LOTS of time consuming Physical Therapy)

Anyway even though I've been making soap (just for my family and friends) for about 20 years I'm still fairly new to adding color. I'm now teaching some soap making classes through our public school community ed dept, and of course everyone wants COLOR.......I'm having a great time playing with my dyes, pigments etc that are really old (from the Pigment Lady) but need suggestions on mixing for a nice orange. I have seen a suggestions of 10 parts yellow oxide and 1 part red oxide. I'm only making a 2 pound batch so I'm not quite sure how to 'MEASURE' out the oxides......I'd love to hear ideas

thanks
    Mary
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
      0 points
    I'd love ideas to. Maybe someone has a nice chart. I'm new to colors also,
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
      0 points
    If you want to measure out oxides, MMS has some lovely tiny measuring scoops. I received some once in a swap once as one of the extra goodies. Here is the link: https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Measuring-Scoops-for-Colorants.html

Other ways to color your soap orange:

1) Pop some betacarotine capsules and squeeze out. Just be sure not to swirl or mottle with those, because it may end up looking like DOS.
    2) Annatto Seeds finely ground make a great natural orange colorant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
      0 points
    I like paprika for a pumpkin color. Especially if you let the paprika color the oil and then strain it out.

As far as measuring, I've been known for eyeballing it unless I need the measurement to be precise. I have a few measuring spoons that I use if I can't find any of the Measuring Scoops. 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 tsp are the sizes that I use. I generally mix my pigments with glycerin to prevent lumps in the finished soap. http://blog.thesage.com/2009/09/29/mulling-pigments/
    • CommentAuthorEHails
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015
      1 point
    I love to use unrefined palm oil in any batches I want to be orange. It is a great orange color! I've purchased mine from Mountain Rose Herbs and the quality is excellent. (Make sure to stir it if it warms up and separates. For ease, I like to portion it out into individual glass jars after stirring the big tub.)
    ~Elaine