Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2014
      1 point
    I made liquid soap many years ago with LESS than stellar results, and I said "Never Again" Well as they say "Never say never".......I keep getting requests at my little soap making classes for liquid soap, so of course I came to MMS for information. I have to say I've never been comfortable with the huge amount of excess lye, and 'neutralizing' (that seemed LESS than exact from recipe to recipe) I also found another calculator that takes the fact that KOH is NOT pure potassium but also contains water and other 'stuff' into consideration. I ran my recipe through that calculator as well, but decided to stick with Andees DAY 1 recipe.

http://blog.thesage.com/2010/12/06/introduction-to-liquid-soap-week-day-one/
    http://blog.thesage.com/2010/12/08/introduction-to-liquid-soap-week-day-two/
    http://blog.thesage.com/2010/12/09/introduction-to-liquid-soap-week-day-three/
    http://blog.thesage.com/2011/04/07/olive-oil-liquid-soap/

THANK you Andee

But I decided I just didn't want to put THAT much time into this liquid soap, so after watching these videos on YouTube I decided to try making liquid soap WITHOUT excess Lye but using the method found here

My soap turned out really nice......I'm still not too sure I'm all that thrilled with making liquid soap, but I would say my 'experiment' was successful.

For those of you who make liquid soap do you add a germicide to your soap?
  1.   0 points
    This is the book that we have used with success. You have to flip back and forth a little bit, but I have the pages bookmarked, We started making it because we couldn't find a soap for our dispenser that wasn't antibacterial. A batch lasts a long time. We do not add a germicide. Real soap doesn't need anything like that it is naturally antibacterial.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Natural-Liquid-Soaps-Conditioning/dp/1580172431/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411566773&sr=1-1&keywords=liquid+soap+making
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    Thanks, I THOUGHT soap would be OK but then I started reading about people storing their extra (liquid) soap in the fridge, & others writing about mold in/on their liquid soap. I'm not sure why I'm not such a fan of Catherine Failor's books but I MIGHT have to break down and give them another try (I had several at 1 time)

Thanks again
  2.   0 points
    I've never had a problem with mold. I store the base in the refridgerator and the diluted soap under the kitchen sink in a mason jar. It's been a while, but I seem to remember that it has rosemary oleoresin as a preservative.

I don't think the book is organised very well, but it gets the job done. Happy soaping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      1 point
    Liquid soap does need a preservative if you are selling or keeping it for a long time because it is so diluted. The paste does not need a preservative, but the final diluted soap does. Catherine's books are a great starting point and good reference, but I do not like that she recommends antioxidants as preservatives.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      0 points
    I think I need to add this to my things to try.
  3.   1 point
    Andee, what would you recommend as a preservative?
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      0 points
    Liquid Germall Plus is my favorite preservative for liquid soap. (Most other things too.)
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
      0 points
    Is that like the Germaben II? I had that when I tried my hand at making lotions. Would that work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
      1 point
    Germaben II is another great option. This is my other go to preservative.

Liquid Germall Plus is a paraben free preservative and has a popular following because it has hardly any chemical inactivators
  4.   0 points
    Thanks! Would it work for lotion too? I keep having to throw it out because it gets moldy. Even in the refrigerator.
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014
      1 point
    That's what I used it for
    • CommentAuthorjohnnyusa
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016
      0 points
    All essential oils are antibacterial. You can increase your superfat on hard soap and no dos for longer so long as they have a half ounce of EOs per pound of oils. Same for hot processed liquid soaps, but you add EOs after dilution from paste when it's cooled down a bit.
    Cold process and diluted liquid soaps keep for longer w/ EOs than without No doubt about it. I suspect same would be true for pine tar soap, being that this tar is also used as a natural preservative for 'friggin wood it probably keeps forever at 10% superfat.