Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
      0 points
    My HP soap is taking a lot longer than expected to cure. I read where if you dissolve sugar in the water before adding lye to it it will yield a harder bar. So last weekend I made two batches. Same recipes except for the scents and coffee in the second the first turned a very pale caramel color and didn't seem to effect the color much, but I put a lot of blue in it. The second turned a very dark caramel color --which since I was making a "coffee" bar with coffee ground was kinda cool. But I'm not sure what the difference was I used the same recipe and the same sugar. The coffee soap is already nicely hard while the blue soap is hard but not as hard. I suspect it's the coffee grounds I used. But obviously I can't add coffee grounds to every batch (especially since I HATE coffee...lol)

Is there something else I can add instead of the sugar to harden the bars? Or some tips to have it be not as dark/to keep the sugar from caramelizing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    Stearic acid, sodium lactate . . . or formulate your recipe with more hard oils.

However, it's been my experience that HP soaps are initially quite soft. It takes about a week for them to firm up to where they make good hard bars. So I wouldn't fret, just give it a bit more time and lots of air flow.

I never add any hardener to my HP soaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      0 points
    thank you chrima