Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014 edited
      0 points
    what is the best way to grind lavender (and other flowers). I've tried a mortar and pestle, but the stem's and husks aren't really getting ground.

anyone have luck in this?

edit...some luck in crushing them after they go throught the mortar and pestle breaking them up between my fingers. just seems like there is a better way.
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014
      0 points
    I have a little coffee grinder here in the blog kitchen I have dedicated to botanicals. At home, I use a little magic bullet that I was gifted. These work really well for what I generally want. You may be able to pick something like this up in a yard sale or goodwill. Just a thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      0 points
    OK thanks, I'll pick one up. I'm a tea drinker so I didn't even think about that. :)
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
      0 points
    Haha! I so hear you there! I just happen to work with a lot of coffee drinkers. This place doesn't get moving until everyone has a cup of coffee in their hand.

I am a big fan of black, oolong and green teas. What do you like in your cup?
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      1 point
    Taylor yet again you are an angel!!!! (I think your the same Taylor that helped me when I put the wrong state on my order?)

I stopped and picked up a grinder and oh my goodness I love the results. The lavender is so finely ground!!

Thank you again for suggesting it!!
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
      0 points
    Yay! I am so excited for you! They are fabulous pieces of equipment. After my scale and stick blender, they are my favorite item to use.

(Guilty as charged. ;-) Glad to be of help.)

Don't forget to share photos! Pretty please?
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      1 point
    Will do. I'll be making a batch of liquid soap tonight and going to try a batch of some HP using the lavender and also some chamomile.
  1.   0 points
    Last summer I dried lavender from the garden, ground it up in my old coffee grinder (used just for botannicals) made some soap for Christmas
    gifts and added some colorant to make it lavender, and some ground lavender. The soap is fine, but the lavender looks black in the soap. Smells
    fine soap is great, but why did it turn black> I didn't add it to the solution until it was at trace, so the ingredients were warm but not hot. Ideas?