Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2014
      1 point
    I am starting to think about all the grease & oils that are around my house that when hard-ish get thrown in the garbage. I know these can be used to make soap but other than putting through cheese cloth a couple times I am not sure what else I need to do to it.

Right now I have a cup of bacon grease, I know I'll need more but before I get too much on hand figured I'd look into it. I'll also probably eventually using beef and pork grease.

Also I have a friend giving me bear oil, yes bear oil, and because it is considered 'dear' to her and her husband I want to make sure I don't mess it up ( I seem to mess up every third batch lately?!?!?!) and for the other 'deer' I might get some if possible. has anyone used bear or deer or other game?

obviously these soaps won't be marked vegan....lol
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014
      1 point
    would the above fall under the tallow category?
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
      1 point
    These will be used as tallow or lard. Please remember that any odor in the fat will transfer to the soap. Bear fat can be cleaned and it should be done if there is any
    odor whatsoever.

We have a few folks that make bear fat and deer fat soap. Deer fat is far less per animal.

Remember, the goal of showering in the morning is to get ready to go to breakfast, not smell like breakfast.

My favorite use for bacon grease is wrapping a cold scoop of it around a dog pill. A few licks lubes the mouth and throat. By the time the dog gets to the pill a swipe off the spoon sends the pill down the throat and no one is upset.

Tina
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
      1 point
    Thank you.

Funny thing you mentioned smelling like breakfast. I just got done cutting what I call breakfast bar. Maple and bacon scent. It's actually selling pretty good. :D
  1.   0 points
    Hi, now if it matters here or not, I don't know..but I would tell you to YES try your best at rendering it down, and then cleaning it. I would call this TALLOW . I had 26 pounds of Cow fat given to me for FREE from a local butcher. I think it was 26 pounds...been awhile. anyway, I had to render it down, and my whole house smelled like cheeseburgers ALL DAY and even a couple days after that. Then. I strained it in a very thin cotton cloth, almost like a cheesecloth, but a bit sturdier. I don't know that exact name, but a very thin cotton cloth. Anyway, after I strained it, I mixed in a few tablespoons of Baking Soda, stirred it around really well, and heated the oil WITH the baking soda it it. When it was HOT, I then strained it again. I think I repeated the process 2 or 3 times. The last straining, I RE STRAINED it an extra time, to make sure all the baking soda was gone. I was amazed at how much the baking soda had helped with the smell. Now when I make soap, I use the TALLOW and it makes super hard bars and NO extra weird cheeseburger smell, it is ALL gone indeed. So ya, I say if you are willing to put the work in, then their is no worry's on using the TALLOW. I think LARD is more for pigs....oh wait!!!!! I do THINK that Bear and Pigs are considered the same family...oh maybe,, so, you might want to google that before making soap. I do know DEER fat is considered Tallow, but Pig is considered Lard, and Bear just might be considered Lard...hhhmmm, I don't know. But ya, It keeps a minimum of one full year in the fridge, and I have heard of ppl keeping it 2 years in the fridge, and if you freeze it I have heard you can keep it for years and years. Anyway, this is one persons experience using rendered Tallow, and for ME, it works great!! My friend it hunting Deer right now, she has promised me the fat....YEA!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
      0 points
    Thanks!!!!
  2.   0 points
    I hadn't thought of deer fat. I will have to ask the guy that hunts our property to save it for me if he gets a deer this year. I use lard in all of my soap. I am in the process of rendering it. I still have 7 large bags of pork fat to render. Whew! It does not have a strong odor. That stays with the cracklins.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
      0 points
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE cracklins!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
      0 points
    When I grew up, my grandma used to make potato dumplings stuffed with pork cracklings. We ate them with Sauerkraut. When I get my hands on some, I still make those. They are sooooooo good!
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
      0 points
    sounds yummy chrima
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
      2 points
    getting my bear oil this weekend ...........kinda looking forward to using it.
  3.   0 points
    How exciting for you eor1122, wow, to be able to use Bear Oil....please let us all know how your batch turns out...super cool