Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
      1 point
    I am making a batch of HOT process soap.
    It's a double batch

I using a total of:
    548 Crisco
    548 Olive Oil
    364 Lard
    500+ Water
    192 lye

I got it to trace, and the different stages and everything LOOKS right, but about 5 or 6 hours later I'm still getting a zap on my tongue. I'm calling it a night since it's now 1am. I turned off the crockpot and scrapped the mixture into a large casserole dish and going to bed. I did notice on the bottom of the crockpot a thin layer of white stuff. This has no zap and suds nice. I am wondering if maybe because of the amount of soap in the crockpot maybe as a whole the temperature wasn't getting high enough throughout the whole batch to finish the saponification process.

Question is there anything I can do to save this batch?

I wonder if tomorrow if I can take a smaller amount of it and basically rebatch to get the whole thing heated through.

Also I'm going to search for pH strips locally tomorrow so I don't have to do the zap thing (and get them on my next order to MMS)

I've see info about rebatching when there is too much lye, I'm not sure how to do that but I don't thing that is the problem since I measured carefully.

sorry to ramble, I'm going to bed now.
  1.   0 points
    Hi, I make liquid soap, only a few times have made it, so for ME it is so new that I am not an expert in this area. I did however wanted you to know that I am SUPER interested in the final results here.I do hope somebody comes along and has a proper answer for you. are you making liquid soap? or bar soap? I hope it all goes well for you!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014
      1 point
    A couple weeks back I tried liquid soap. I then tried every trick I could find to thicken it. But unless it's cold it's like water. I did a 3:1 mix and put in a foam soap dispenser and that works OK.

I'm going to work on them soap more, trying a smaller amount in the crock pot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      2 points
    What kind of Crisco are you using? The vegetable kind?

Assuming that's the one, it's mostly soybean oil, and assuming that your measurements are in grams, I have run your recipe through the MMS lye calculator. Based on the result, your lye calculation puts you into the 3-4% excess fat range. Even if it was tallow based Crisco, you are still in the 4-5% excess fat range. So you should be okay as far as the lye goes. Your recipe overall should have yielded perfectly fine soap.

As far as your water goes, you have a little playroom here, if you are making CP soap. If you are making HP, I would not skimp on the water at all. Do not take a discount and use the full amount.

Did you stuff your crockpot very full? I would scrape everything back into the crockpot for a rebatch. Add about a cup of water. Stir lightly, set the heat on low, put the lid on and walk away. Go clean your house, do your laundry or watch a movie and forget about it for at least a couple of hours.

The trick about rebatching is patience. Walk away, watch a movie, do some laundry, distract yourself and resist the temptation to want to mess with it. Let the heat do it's thing and after a couple of hours, give it a light stir. If it's not soft or ready yet, put the lid back on and leave it alone again. Make another batch of soap. Wrap some bars, keep yourself busy.

When the entire batch is a uniform hot gelled consistency, scent it and plop into your molds. You might want to put into the fridge or outside where it's cold so it sets up quicker.

Your batch will be okay, just give it time.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      1 point
    Thank you.
    I'll try the walking away thing. And the patience thing. I am not good at either....hahaha.

I'll post an update tonight after I have been patient.
  2.   0 points
    oh good good...sounds like its going to work out for you eor1122

yes, I would sure be interested in the update :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
      1 point
    Did your soap make it out okay?
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
      2 points
    I waited and only stirred a couple times when it tried to mushroom up. After cooking for like 3 hours I had to go to church. So I unplugged the crock pot and wrapped it in a bunch of towels (I was afraid it would mushroom again) got home it was translucent and pH was good. I added some FO but no color. I refrigerated it for the day and just cut it. It was like cutting cream cheese. This is how it looks. It went from amber when warm to almost white when I cut it. Very smooth ( the in rebathed is smooth too!) Not slightly gloppy the way HP can be. Here is a bar. I'm going to let it sit and try to be patient again and hope it hardens up.

photo _20141116_201700.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    That's one beautiful bar of soap! And if you are patient, they will firm up. Sometimes it can take up to a week, so don't get discouraged. I have a 2 day old rebatch sitting on a tray right now that had very soft and squishy bars, and they are already much firmer than when i first cut them. I figure another 3 or 4 days and they are good to go.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
      1 point
    thank you!

it did firm up a bit over night, put fans on this morning which seems to help me sometimes (I have no air flow in that room.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014 edited
      1 point
    update checked this am still a little squishy but its coming along I hope it will be ready for the craft fair I'm doing next week.

it'e not so pretty anymore....weird thing it's shrinking kinda weird like......if it was a juice box and you sucked the air out (does that make sense?) I'm going to give it a week before I slice it up and plop in a batch of M&P.
  3.   0 points
    Your Bar looks Creamy to me...looks like a bar worth having! I do believe it will be fine by the craft show. Plus, if its still a bit soft, no matter, just tell ppl that they need to let it sit awhile on a shelf. I do think some ppl like that anyway, like a gift "don't open till Christmas" sorta thing. It would be FUN for a customer to watch a bar of soap over the course of a week or two get harder. Makes them get excited for things to develop. So ya, no worries, just have FUN at that craft far eor1122!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
      1 point
    Thanks, I'll show picture later of how it looks tonight, it does look a little funny. Smells nice though. Nice and cinnamon-y Christmas-y.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
      1 point
    Loni - do you have a fabric steamer? It can help smooth our your bar, and even if it has little weird shrinkage and warping, it may still look polished and pretty. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Remember, it's rustic!
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014 edited
      1 point
    no i don't :(
    I couldn't get a good picture
    but they are looking VERY rustic
    I was thinking about maybe trimming them but they wouls be so small
    so I'm probably going to cut them up throw them into another batch
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014
      1 point
    shriveled photo IMG_20141214_11142_edit_1418573689237.jpg

This is what it looks like today. It is hard as a rock. I'm going to cut up and drop into another batch at decoration but I wonder why it looks all shriveled up like this.
  4.   0 points
    no clue as to why is shriveled up at all. I wish I could help. Hopefully somebody else will help
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015
      1 point
    The reason it is so shriveled up is that there was too much water in it and as the soap sat and dried, all the water cured out. I don't know, I kinda like it. A little burlap ribbon around it with a brown paper tag, and you got a winner!
  5.   1 point
    Sorry April....lol....we just went to Dinner to Celebrate some GOOD NEWS ((FINALLY...RIGHT??!!!))
    So, we went out and caught a Dinner and A Movie...saw Mad Max!!! WOW..IS that Action Packed or what!!!

Anyway, now that I ate my Favorite Fried Icecream.....I am about to go "Test" out some of that Hot Process Soap and then put my thoughts out on my test.

That right Christine!!! I finally made a batch of Hot Process Soap!! I will try it out...and post back tomorrow what I think. Gonna have an early night. But I wanted to chime in and say I finally took the plunge and made a batch. I kept hearing in my head Christine say how much she just really likes HP and that I should try it sometime. Well, now I did. I just did a Rebatch too, a month ago for the first time. I did a rebatch when I first started soaping, but I do not count that one as I really did not know what I was doing. Anyway, the rebatch I did a month ago and the Hot Process I just did last night...well they are super similure indeed.

When I make Cold Process Soap, within an hour I am done from start to finish. This Hot Process took 3 full hours to do and it was a three pound batch.
    I think it took me way to long. I see many online make HP Soap and it takes them like one hour to make. So, I might of messed up.
    I will try making it again tho, and soon. I enjoyed myself making it with my Hubby
  6.   1 point
    Here are some pictures of my Hot Process Soap that I made with my Hubby for the first time ever:

It is a Shampoo Bar for one thing due to the fact that Christine said that she just loves her shampoo bar Hot Processed. So I just had to try it!!!

We poured it into one of those long pringles chip cansllll

Hot Process Botanical Beer Log from a P Chip Container photo 0519150004.jpg

Here is what it looks like when Cut:

Hot Process Single Soap photo 0519150228.jpg
  7.   1 point
    All the bars look a bit rough around the edges and such, it was a VERY wet bar indeed. So, the pictures only show what the bars look like BEFORE being cured a bit and before being cleaned up...

Here is a Piggy:

Hot Process Soap Piggy photo 0519150229.jpg

And here is a smaller cut that I am using as a Face Bar...

Hot Process Small Facial Bar photo 0519150230.jpg
  8.   1 point
    I will show some pictures AFTER I clean up my bars after they sit awhile. They are sturdy enough for a Shower so thats what I did one one of the bars....It turned into a fantastic Shampoo Bar, not stripping at all. My Hair AND skin ended up being very soft. It cleaned the face and skin so well that this bar doubles as a body bar and as a shampoo bar.

The soap is also my very first BEER SOAP!!

I call it my Botanical Beer Garden Shampoo and Body Bar.

I used half Beer and Half Aloe Vera Gel along with many wonderful extracts that are great for the hair and Skin.

I know that the little bars I am using as facial bars, my face feels so very soft after using it.
    When used as a Shampoo bar, the shampoo is super foamy with tight small velvet feeling bubbles. My hair is so soft afterwards where it feels like it may not even need a conditioner or even a hair rinse. But I have longer hair and so I used a hair rinse with a touch of hair conditioner due to the fact I don't want even a single snarl in my hair. Anyway, the shampoo bar is fantastic. I made it with a 6% Supperfat and I only used a 12% Coconut Oil in the soap. I wanted enough to clean my hair without being even close to stripping my hair of natural oils. I also used sea kelp in the Shampoo for both color and for the vitamins it gives the hair and skin. I just love this bar...

Now, saying all of that, I am NOT set on doing just Hot Processed soap bars. I still LOVE my cold process bars and my Liquid Shampoo that I make. Saying that, I will here and their make Hot Processed bars as it gave me something NEW to do and I like that...doing new things on occasion. Most of the time my Cold Process takes me about one to one and a half hours to make a loaf. But doing the HOt Processed took me 3 hours. I am SURE it was because I am new to the Whole Hot Process and I believe that next time will be quicker and easier indeed. I just did a Rebatch for the first time about a month ago...and this was VERY VERY Close to doing rebatch soaps. I found that interesting.

Anyway, this was a fun experiment....let me say this LAST thing....Our WHOLE HOUSE smelled of Dead Fish!!!! I found out the hard way that using too much Sea Kelp in your cooking soap batter will cause an aroma of dead fish!! we had to open up ALL the doors and windows..ha ha ha....I was going to leave my bars Natural with having no scents added, but because of the dead fish smell, we thought it best to add some Fragrance Oil to the Soap Batch at the end. And yes, that DID cover up the dead fish smell.

For those of you who have never tried using Beer in their soap, well let me tell you its fantastic!! I only used a 12% amount of coconut oil, yet my soap bubbles very well and without being stripping. I will make a Beer Soap now more often. I learned you must FIRST make the beer FLAT and Freeze it before adding it ....wait...before adding the LYE to the Beer :-)

Ok...their she is....my little story about my hot process soap experiment...

THANK YOU CHRISTINE FOR ALL THE ENCOURAGEMENT TO TRY DOING THIS!!!
  9.   1 point
    Here is my LAST Picture of the Botanical Beer Garden Shampoo and Body Soap!!

Hot Process Botanical Beer Soap Display photo 0519150227.jpg

After they dry up some more, and after I clean them up as well....I will post a finished product picture :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
      0 points
    Love it!!!!!! Super fun to see your pictures and read your story :-D They look beautiful! And piggy is adorable :) Yay Shelly!

I have an empty Pringles can I keep thinking about using, guess I should give it a try :)

I wish so much to use beer in soap but can't. Maybe, I could try a gluten free beer? Hmmm, Omission?

Gosh, now I want to make soap....
  10.   1 point
    If you use a pringles can April, you will need to take some waxed paper or some parchment paper and line the inside of the can as the paper metal lining in the cans will react to your soap.Its kind of a pain to do, I found the best way is to get the parchment paper to fit inside nicely, then I take it out of the chip container and tape the edges together making a cylinder, then I put it back into the chip container. It made perfect slices...but you should know, a 1 inch circle from a pringles can, will give you about a 3 ounce soap bar...so, I have many 3 ounces soap bars now.
  11.   1 point
    Glad you like the piggy...ha ha...I have a customer who owns a piggy for a pet, so I am trying to make piggy bars....so far it looks super rustic and I hope after it drys some I can Fix it up to look nicer
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      1 point
    April,
    Gluten Free Beer will make a soap that is just as amazing! Try it and let us know what you think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      2 points
    Impressive HP soap Shelly!
  12.   0 points
    Thanks Andee....it was fun to do a NEW Process in Soap Making that I have not done before
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2015
      0 points
    LOL...Yesterday I was lamenting about wanting to make beer soap...Andee says go for it...look at what the Beer Fairy provided for me today! Perks of the job...I suppose Sunday or Monday there's some Beer Soapiness going to happen :-D

Does anyone have tips on scenting? Should I leave it straight up or try to compliment with a FO or EO?

13.   1 point
    The ONLY reason I scented my Beer Soap is due to the fact I sent kind of crazy on my Kelp Powder and Kelp Extract....ha ha...smelled of dead fish in the house UNTIL I added the FO...but...it was my first batch using beer....I have been tolled that it leaves a mild scent to the beer soap if you do not add any scents to it...but ha ha...I have no clue. I will be making another beer soap soon...but without the dead fish added to it...lol. I hope it works out for you....just make sure you use FLAT Beer....some ppl will tell you to boil it down some...but if you can help it...DONT....you will cook away some of the properties of the beer possibly...going from what I hear that is.....rumors and such....so, instead I just poured a few beers into a large container and stirred to doo doo out of it....bubbled up the foam head several times with a violent stir, then let it sit out over night. then I froze the beer into cubes and also just poured it into a large pan. When it was frozen, you can take a large metal spoon and just easily scrape the beer ice...it shaves very easily. From my understanding, you will NEED to freeze the beer first before adding it to the LYE...WELL, Lye added to the beer that is :-)

This way it will help prevent the beer soap from coloring and going too dark....I THINK...anyway, that matters not on my soap as I wanted it dark looking, but I still froze the beer. Anyway, dont have to go by what I say..I am NOT a beer soap expert...ha ha...only making one soap batch. but I did things based on my own research. I will be interested to see what you do April. COOL JOB PERK!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
      0 points
    Oooh I can hardly wait!

I'm going to try a couple things....First NO scent and hope the beer gives me a faint but pleasurable scent, then I'm going to attempt the orange peel soap and see if the beer adds anything to it! Going cold process and then perhaps hot process...and there might even be enough beer leftover to drink some when I'm done ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
      0 points
    Yes, nice perk! If all goes well, I'll give a few bars to the rep who so generously provided the beer! He's a doll and very passionate about Omission. :)
    • CommentAuthorMachins
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
      1 point
    Brambleberry has an Oatmeal Stout FO that smells AMAZING! I've used it with stout and other beers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015
      0 points
    I will have to try some! :)
  14.   0 points
    Oh WOW, Thanks for the tip about the Oatmeal Stout FO....how exciting indeed!!! I will for sure be looking them up!!
  15.   0 points
    OK...Because I am NEW to Hot Process Soap...I do NOT know if my soap is normal or not...but, that soap, those pictures, well....they are STILL soft...they have developed a slight crust to them so when touched they are OK...but if I push to hard it is like MASHED POTATOES Inside of them...is that normal for Hot P Soap? I thought one of the benefits to HP Soap is the ability to use it faster than CP soap..but with mine, it looks like it will be one of my longer curing soaps...just saying...so, did I do something wrong?? I DID notices however, that my soap batter looked, well like good strong soap batter...UNTIL...that is until I added my fragrance oil to it and my additives at the end...after that it got really soupy like...kind of well....like mashed potatoes that are really super wet....and they have just stayed that way. its like the moment I added the FO it decided to just give up and doesn't want to to turn into a hard bar....is that normal for HP SOAP? Thanks for the help......I had wondered if it was because of all the Sea Kelp I added to it....2 Tablespoons of Dried Sea Kelp and one Tablespoon of Sea Kelp Extract..which was an oil....so....by chance is it due to my sea kelp??

anyway, my TEST bar for my hair is fantastic...I just LOVE how it makes my hair and my skin feel. I get out of the shower, and when I dry off my hair is soft and my skin is soft...like velvet...so, I think that is due to the Beer and the Sea Kelp....oh, and I used Hydrovance in it as well...I have been using a good splash of Hydrovance now in my soaps, it makes a HUGE differnce in the final bar outcome. I just LOVE Hydrovance!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015
      0 points
    I can't really answer this :/ Still new to this also. I can tell you that my hot process bars feel softer for a little while too. I think it's only because of the extra water in the recipes. They do harden up. One thing I have really noticed is that when I use the hp bars they are more slippery than my cp bars. I wonder if adding my superfat at the end of the cook is why they are more slippery? I certainly don't mind, they lather up beautiful.

I love the rustic textures in the hp. I also love the smooth texture of cp.

I don't think mine are quite as soft as you explain here. But I do live in dry Arizona. Do you think you're climate is adding to the softness like with Monica's last soap?
  16.   0 points
    We have had rain for the last couple of weeks here...that MIGHT be some of the issue, not having a good chance at drying. We have a humidifier and when we turn it on it starts off by saying we are at 70% Moisture in our air.
    I did notice that since it was a DRY Day yesterday here, that YES...my bars are a tiny bit harder than two days ago. So.....All I can say is I WILL give it at least a month and then check them out. I guess I can always rebatch, but I read someplace on one of the threads that andee suggested to always wait at least one month before re-batching because all formulas are a bit different, and some of the formulas WILL take longer to cure just because of the simple fact of the soft oils used. And yes, I did use a lot of olive oil, which, even in a cold process soap, would be soft. So...I just need patience I guess. BUT I DON'T WANT TO WAIT....HAHA....Honestly, my thought about hot process soap is WRONG then. I totally thought that HP was a quicker soap making process than CP soap making. So far that does not seem to be the case. Plus, it took my batch 3 hours to make from start to placing into molds...where, I can do a cold process soap batch in one hour. Now, that was my first time doing HP...so, saying that, I am sure next time will be faster now that I know what I am doing, but that being said, I thought I could make a batch and within 3 days I thought I would have perfect dry bars to give out to ppl....so far, this is not the case. It LOOKS like it will take about the same 4 to 6 weeks, and if I would guess, I am thinking closer to the 6 weeks, if not longer. But again, I used a good amount of Olive Oil and so I understand that this would of happened regardless of what way I made soap. Anyway, I will try it again sometime but I will use harder oils/fats and see if that makes a difference. I am not stupid, the first time making ANYTHING..is the the standard on the recipe and I can not judge hot soap making based on one recipe and especially my FIRST recipe. So....soaping days ahead of me and fun fun to look forward too :-)
  17.   1 point
    I thought that this link was pretty interesting...written by a forum member. Its a NICE read about hot process soap making. Written on the BLOG

http://blog.thesage.com/2009/05/25/hot-process-soap-by-jaspersgarden/
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015
      1 point
    Just to throw my two scents in there. A great scent for beer soap is "Old West" from MMS. We got this in a swap as a sample and I used for a batch of beer soap. It compliments so wonderfully!
  18.   0 points
    oh yes.....you are right Christine, I used the OLD WEST Scent on the Soap Challenge, and yes, I can totally see how that scent would go great with Beer, good thinking