Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    I have been watching OTHERS use an oil named Pomace Oil to make the soaps. I have seen it been stated that Pomace is better to use then the Extra Virgin Olive Oil that I have been using. I was informed that Pomace oil is a better Soap Bar than Pure Extra Virgin Olive oil. So, Here is why I am a bit confused.

One, I THOUGHT that Pomace oil was supposed to be PURE Olive Oil. I bought some POMACE OIL, but it is a MIX of oils..The ingredients listed are as follows:

95% Soyabean Oil or Canola Oil, 5% Extra Virgin Olive Oil ......((((ps, I know its spelled Soybean Oil, but on the label, it is spelled Soyabean...just wanted to write exactly what it stated))

That ingredient list bothers me cause one, it doesn't seem to KNOW if it is 95% soyabean oil OR canola oil....so, for me that would seem to make soap-making harder to figure out in a soap calculator. The ONLY thing I think I can do is make ALL the soap at once, using the guide of 5% Olive Oil, and 95% Soybean OR Canola Oil...figure I would just choose one. It states its a gallon, so, I could make a gallon worth of soap to make sure the percentages are right...?!?! whoooosh...kinda confuses me!!

I bought a full Gallon of this Oil and it has the words POMACE Written in bold letters right across the top of the oil. But when I read the description area, it states this:

"Imported Olio Villa ...Olio Villa Pomace Oil is made from vegetable Oil which is enriched with Extra Vergin Olive Oil. A Cholestrerol Free Food. Olio Villa with its delicate flavor and mild taste make it ideal for cooking, salads, and other fine gourmet dishes."

So...Long question, but what I am looking for is the answer...IS THIS THE POMACE that allot of soapers talk about in using? I hope I bought the right kind of Pomace, if their is more then one kind, I surely did NOT know that before buying this. It cost me $13.00 for a full Gallon!! I Thought that was a good buy, until I got home and read the ingredients....lol, I think I got duped!! Please tell me I didn't get duped!! ha ha....I bought it from a Foreigners Store...lol, Walked into a New Marketplace and saw this POMACE and thought I hit the jackpot, I guess bad on MY END for not reading the ingredients before buying it. I sure hope I can still make soap with this!!

IS THIS THE POMACE that allot of soapers talk about in using?
    • CommentAuthorSunflower2
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014
      0 points
    Pomace is actually the 3rd pressing and there is a chemical process involved, it has more solids than the other grades. This is what I use or I may add 10% Extra Virgin. I'm not an expert on the process of making olive oil.

I bought some house blend from a guy in California who used 90% Canola / 10% Extra Virgin and it made a decent soap.

The plain Olive Oil is sold in most grocery stores under private label and it makes a decent soap. Extra Virgin is the first pressing and it is labeled as such, not the best for making soap. Pomace olive oil is harder to find in retail stores and I used to buy it from a health food store.. Be sure and check the label because I have seen imitation olive oil at the dollar store where it was only a small amount of olive oil and blended with soybean or canola.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014
      0 points
    This is not the pomace olive oil everyone is talking about. Nowadays you have to be very careful when purchasing olive oil of any kind because in the interest of cost cutting and making a profit, many olive oils are blends with cheap oils with olive oil being only a small percentage. For future reference, make sure you check the label carefully.

Real pomace olive oil is a dark green oil that smells strongly of olives. It also has a tendency to accelerate trace and heat up quickly. Probably because of the solvent extraction. It does, however, make a beautiful soap.

As far as choosing between canola or soybean (and soyabean is the international labeling name), it will be the difference between 4% or 5% excess fat. I ran it through the lye calculator for you. I probably would go with the soybean in the lye calculator, because that uses slightly less lye.

You won't be able to tell exactly how much your soap is superfatted, but you should be able to get a really nice soap out of it.
  2.   0 points
    Thank You Sunflower 2 and Chrima for your lovely remarks, I learned allot from both comments. THANK YOU

Well, so what I gather, I need to run this thru a Soap Calculator but ONLY as Soybean Oil, and I need to understand that I may NOT be able to tell exactly how uch a superfatted bar it will make. Saying that, I need to make it at about 4% OR 5% . I will TRY to get it right in the middle and shoot for 4 1/2 % Superfat....And hope for the best.

LOL, My Husband says this.."HEY, SO, SINCE ITS NOT PURE POMACE OIL, CAN I FRY UP MY FRIED CHICKEN WITH IT" LOL

So, I will ask that, can we use it to Fry Food with? I am guessing yes, it is just a blend of oils, mostly or probibly soybean oil. So I am sure it can be, if somebody things otherwise, just please let me know. But ya, I will FOR SURE try making some soap with this soon and see how it works out. I will try a small one pound batch I think first and go from their. Ok then, THANKS AGAIN
    • CommentAuthorSunflower2
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
      0 points
    Some of my soap recipes use a blend of Soybean/Canola as a direct replacement for olive oil because it is available at any grocery store. Olive oil is twice the cost or it has to be ordered in from a wholesaler. Soap made from soybean oil seems to remain very soft and may require more time to harden, but it does make a wonderful soap. If a 5% addition of Caster, Rice Bran or Avocado is added, you would never know that Olive Oil was not used to make your soap; these oils are good at moisturizing and produce creamy lather.

After looking online at Omega 3, 6, 9 fatty acids, its amazing how different fixed oils mimic the benefits of olive oil. Although, soapmaking may differ from the healthy purpose of the information, it does provide suggestions of which oils may be preferred to superfat your soap. It was a surprise to see corn oil and wheat-germ with very high numbers of omega 6 fats.
  3.   0 points
    Thank You Sunflower2....Yes, I feel allot better now talking to you and others! So at least I can STILL use it for soap making...glad about that. Yes, I will add Caster Oil when I make it, And I am OK with a longer wait time to cure, waiting usually just means a better bar :-).....at least that has been MY experience SO FAR. OK Thanks, I LOVE the information I have been getting here indeed!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014
      0 points
    Yes, Shelly, you can. Of course you can fry up chicken with it too, lol.

But to clarify something. I would not run all the oil through the lye calculator as soybean oil. I would break out the olive oil portion and run that separate. Especially since you do know which % is olive oil. There isn't much difference in the SAP between canola and soyabean oil, but there is a big difference between those and olive oil.

It will require for you to take out a calculator, I suppose. Measure your entire quantity of oil you are using in the batch, say 40 oz. Now you need to break out the 5% for olive oil, which is 2 oz. Subtract that from the total, and what you would plug into the MMS Lye Calculator is 38 oz of soybean oil, and 2 oz of olive oil. That will give you your recipe.
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
      0 points
    Wait! Does the oil say 'food grade' or External Use Only??
    I wouldn't use any of my soap oils in my food, they are cosmetic grade.(I think).
    And I would only buy oils from a soap oil shop.
    I would worry that the soap you make might flop since its unclear what you are using. I have enoght soap around the house here that didn't turn out as expected, I don't need more!!
    Let us know what happens.
  4.   1 point
    Hi Hannahobs, I am speculating that you are NEW to soaping? maybe not...maybe you know something that I do not. But I have been making soap now for sometime and from MY experience successfully done to I might add, is that ALL oil can be used in Soap making...that's why you can even make your OWN fat...like save your bacon grease and make LARD with it...or take the scraps of fat from beef (TALLOW) And render that down to make Tallow...you can even make soap with Butter...and yes, your everyday oils that you get from the local store, even Walmart, will have so many choices of oils that for many of us, that's all we use is what we get from our local store. You see, ppl have been making soap for a very long time...in the way back when, Lye was made from ASHES...no place to BUY THE LYE...and the Oils were made from rendering down the fat they had on hand...no special soaping store selling specialized oils were around. Now, not to say that their are not soaping stores that SELL specialized oils, I am sure they do, but before they came along, ppl were making soap from everyday oils and fats and the process has continued. My BEST bar of soap to date was made with FREE FAT I got from my local butcher shop, 25 pounds That I rendered down to pure Tallow And when I use it to make soap, I have beautiful Bars...my BEST YET!! So, You are totally correct on one hand...that YES, using oils from a specialized Soap store is wonderful and perfectly great to use, but saying that, you MIGHT save a nickel or two and find the same oils, or close to it, at your local store. I am sure a soaping store selling specialized soaping oil would have an up-charge. Not sure tho, I have only bought from the local Walmart. Well, saying that, I have bought items I just can NOT get locally like my Jojoba, Sweet Almond Oil and Avocado Oil and Palm Oil. If I could get them locally, I sure would. SMILES