Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSuzhartman
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015
      0 points
    Has anyone ever "made" their own tallow?

Our local chain grocery store will save several pounds of beef fat for me and charge .99/lb. Is this too much to pay per pound? Is a crockpot a good way to render the fat or on the stove? Is there an oven method for rendering fat?
  1.   1 point
    Hi Suzhartman...wow, how interesting!! I saw you reply to a thread early either today or on another day about doing a soap made from Tallow...wow, I was going to write to you but then had a crazy day...

I think that .99 per pound is WAY TO MUCH!!!

Most, and I do mean MOST places will give it to you for FREE..shucks, I get 25 pounds of Free Tallow everytime I go get it. They have more for me if I WANT it, but 25 pounds is plenty for our family to handle per time.

Wow...even the one place in town that WILL charge me, will only charge lik 3 or 4 Dollars PER FULL PICK UP...Meaning, what ever I want on a certain pick up, the MOST they will charge is 4 Dollars...so ya, Way to much to pay a dollar per pound...shucks, most places just throw away thier Tallow, so, for them to charge you..they are just finding a ....person to charge!!!

Please, if thats what they are offering you, please look around before ever paying for Tallow. Yes, I have to go 30 minutes out of my way to get it FREE, but its on the way to my doctors office, so it works out. But like I said, even if I did have to pay for it, it would only be like 4 dollars for a whole bunch of it, I have never paid for it, only asked about it. But the BUTCHER SHOPS...they like to give it away for free...and what you do is this...tell them you would like to get some FREE TALLOW in exchange for giving every employee of the butcher shop (ONE BAR EACH) of Free Soap that you will make with the Tallow...shucks, you come out way ahead...I need to make 12 bars for the butcher shop I go to...thats pretty good for 25 pounds. And yes, I render my own Tallow in the OVEN!! Give me a minute, I will tell you what I do...
      0 points
    Thanks Artisan! Always such a huge learning curve....

This is rather frightening...making soap is an absolute blast and learning about all the ingredients could keep me going for a very long time. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    Rendering tallow is a lot of fun and can be quite gratifying. However, it's also smelly and time consuming. I think every soap maker should do it at least once to have the experience, but if you're willing to spend 99c per pound, you might as well have it shipped to you ready rendered, beautifully white and odorless, ready to soap with. Remember, your time is worth something too!
  2.   0 points
    Here are the steps THAT I DO; this is a quick read version. If you need longer instructions, please let me know:

1) Turn oven on to 250 F (it might be higher, lower, I will tell you later)
    2) Cut up Tallow into chunks, fill your roaster pan. You may want to cover loosely with foil to prevent splatters, that’s up to you.
    3) Drain off the pan every 3o minutes to one hour or as needed. Place drained fat into a container or pan that can be at room temp. For awhile as the fat cools.
    4) Place cooled fat, or mostly cooled fat into containers suitable for the refrigerator (I like to personally section it into 4 sections or buckets...I do 25 pounds at a time, so I leave 4 to 6 pounds of fat into each bucket, this may be a different number for you). Have it sit overnight.
    5) Next day re melt one bucket at a time back into the oven, or a large pan on top of the stove. Add half amount of water to the pan (Meaning, if you start with 6 pounds of fat, and then place into the pan 3 pounds of water, Heat until almost boiling). Stir well, and then pour into a safe for fridge container. Set up overnight.
    6) Take a knife and slide it around the fat until it releases from the container and the water. Discard the water.
    7) Repeat the process, but this time when you melt it down, add a few handfuls of salt with the water, I use Kosher, go heavy on the salt.
    8)Repeat the fridge process and next morning.
    9) Take the fat ring from the container once again and repeat the melting procedure, this time adding baking soda, a good amount, with the water. Again, heat until almost boiling, stir well, take from heat and process like above.
    10) Next morning from the fridge, pop out the fat once again. This time smell the fat for odor and for color. It SHOULD not smell like anything and it should be super white. It MIGHT have a super slight hint of odor to it, this will be fine only if it is super slight, otherwise, if the color is NOT white, and if there is any detectable odor, then re do this step again with more baking soda and more water once again. Fridge it after it has cooled and repeats the overnight process.
    11) The next morning after popping the tallow out, it should be super white and be fresh smelling. Now repeat the heating process one last time, but this time ONLY use water and the tallow, do not add any salt or baking soda to it. After cooking it in just water, repeat the fridge process one last time.
    12) Now after popping the tallow out of the container, you can use a paper towel or a clean dry cloth and dab it dry. You can break it up and package it at this time, or what we like to do is RE melt it, but don’t add any water to it, and then pour into molds like an ice cube tray or what we use is an Easter egg tray. It makes nice shapes for packaging. We place it into freezer bags in bag amounts that WE Know we will be using for most of our recipes, this amount will be different for everyone. You can keep it in the fridge like this for up to one year or in the freezer for longer. I have heard it said that in the freezer you can keep it up to 3 years, but I do not know this for sure as we always use ours up quickly.

Ok, I hope this helps, I am FINE if others want to pipe in and add their knowledge or changes to what I do. I will NOT be offended.

I hope you have the BEST TIME EVER, Rendering down some great Tallow!!!

ArtisanShelly
  3.   0 points
    I repeat that same process for every bucket of rendered tallow that we have. It ususally takes about a week for us to do the whole 25 pounds of FREE Tallow. We usually get 4 containers of collected fat to process thru the week. I DO know that many ppl will do the whole process in one day, and yes, it IS stinky...I think of it like cooking cheeseburgers, but all day. Yes, summer time might be best as you can open the windows. But we do this all year long. I would however, make your closet door closed tight. The smell can get into your clothing. ppl will think you worked at MCDLTS All day....lol. I agree with Chrima, do this at least once in your soaping carreer. You will have a better appreceation for the process of Tallow. It will give you something in your heart that you just can not buy. Yes, every soaper ought to do this at least once. If you dont want to do 25 pounds...lol, then do like 5 or less pounds. Ya, you can even do this with a couple of pounds of Tallow. But do it sometime, you will not regret the hard labor you put into the process. Some things in life you need to try for your self. After that, sure, buy the stuff...but you will appreceate it all the more if you try doing this yourself, at least once. We even save the fat drain off from our burger nights...we freeze small little section of fat in cubes, and when we get about a pound saved up from making burgers, for a few months, we then PROCESS the little fat cubes we saved in the freezer. We get nice white Fat for Our Soap.

Note to self...TRUE Tallow is NOT the fat that is rendered off from any cuts of beef, but you CAN use any fat from the cow and use it like tallow. But, when you go to the butcher and ask for the Tallow Fat, they will most likely give you the fat that collects next to the Kidneys. Kidney Fat is the BEST if you can get it all at once like that. Some butchers just have what they call is SCRAP BOX at their feet. Meaning, all day long they will butcher cow meat up, and ALL MISCL. Pieces of Scraps of fat get tossed into the scrap box. This is OK if they do this all day, and then offer you the SCRAP BOX...please take it, it is GOOD fat indeed. But, if you are asking for fat, start by asking for the GOOD stuff. ASK for Pure Tallow Fat...the Kidney Fat...sometimes they use the Liver Fat...thats ok too...but see if you can get the good hard solid fat of the kidney. Ok...Ya, have fun!!! :-)
      0 points
    Wow! Much more to rendered tallow than felting soaps.

I have skirted (cleaning the raw fleece of grasses, dirt clods, and manure), washed, and dried a blanket from a sheep in the past and have decided not to do that again. Lots of hot water, Dawn dish detergent, prune looking hands, and time. Once the blanket is clean then a spinner usually needs to "card" the fiber. That means taking the individual locks of fiber and using a special set of combs, open the locks so that each strand is separated and parallel to all of the fibers. Search YouTube to see a video of how to card wool.

Anyway, getting back to tallow. I've found a meat market nearby and will call them tomorrow. I'm sure I will process some kidney fat at least once. I enjoy learning by doing.

I was looking on ETSY for tallow that's been rendered and decided I could render 5lbs myself for less than $25 plus shipping. I'm that wholistic and dare I say, "cheap". I believe the more I know about soap making, the better soap maker I'll be therefore, offer a product I can stand behind. This is not to say anyone that decides to purchase tallow doesn't believe in their product. I don't want to offend anyone. This I just my way of putting together the puzzle.
  4.   0 points
    Now you have it!!! Thats right...its not about what others do, its about what YOU do that will make all the difference in the world with your craft. Thats right. Oh, and guess what, I did know what you ment about the special combs and fiber and all. I grew up on a small farm. Mom would make our sweaters out of the yarn she made from scratch!!! pretty wild, she collored it even with koolaid. Her spinning wheel was so huge!!