Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2015
      1 point
    Taylor recently made a lip balm on the blog that used conditioning emulsifier. I just received a sample today with an order and it is a very nice lip balm. I would like Taylor to give a little insight into why she chose to use conditioning emulsifier in a lip balm as I've never even thought of adding this ingredient to a lip balm. Hope you have time to reply to this Taylor.
  1.   0 points
    I myself feel the same way Cece!! I have always thought this was for hair and skin....but lips? wow, I guess if you think about it, lips ARE skin too..ha ha. Anyway, yes, I would love to get the pro. insight from Taylor on this as well. I would say that conditioning emulsifier is one of my favorite products from MMS. That, and the Glycerin they sell.

This is so much fun learning things about the products we can buy from Majestic Mountain Sage.
    Good Question Cece!!
  2.   0 points
    Oooohhh, can't wait to see what Taylor says. Definitely a good question, CeCe!
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015
      3 points
    Cece,

I generally add it to formulations that contain Soy Wax. Here is why.

Beeswax is a very unusual material. It is a hard, stiff wax that has some mild elastic properties.If you melt beeswax into a thin sheet, you can bend it quite a bit before it snaps and breaks. Soy wax is not this way at all. It is hard and very brittle. It has no bend to it. If your formulation contains just soy wax as your stiffener, your lip balm gets this wavy, uneven texture. (You can actually see the texture in this post. http://blog.thesage.com/2013/01/28/simple-rose-lip-balm/ )Not pretty and it makes it hard to market. Many people who are requesting formulations without beeswax want something that feels like it but is not beeswax. The conditioning emulsifier mixed with any hard brittle wax will make this finished product feel more like it contains beeswax without it actually a part of the formulation.

Conditioning emulsifier has the additional benefit of adding slip, glide and emollient properties.

If you are making lip balms but wanting to make them without beeswax, I have found the conditioning emulsifier helps with those temperamental brittle waxes.

Does this help?
  3.   1 point
    Yep, ok , I use conditioning emulsifier all the time. I also call this Conditioning Ewax. I do believe they are one in the same. At least this is what I have been calling it so I hope it is. Anyway, it is the same product that Taylor has used in the balm, in place of beewax. I have seen ppl ask for a balm that had no beewax in it, I never know what to say. Now I do!! Thanks Taylor for all that help. It is so good to know we have options.
    • CommentAuthorCece
      0 points
    Thanks for your response Taylor, very informative and gives me some things to think about and try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    Totally vegan lip balm!