Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015
      4 points
    Yesterday, I was outside, cleaning up and sanding a bunch of wooden soap dishes my husband had cut for me out of old pallets. In the process of it, I slipped and drove a splinter into my finger, right underneath the nail on the edge of the nail bed. Bad spot!

I immediately went inside and cut my fingernail very short and got disinfected needle and tweezers and tried to dig it out. Long story short, the only way I could have gotten to the splinter would have been to peel the fingernail off, therefore, going to the doctor wasn't an option either. I do know that splinters eventually work their way to the surface, so I went about my day, but the pain got worse, and by the end of the day, the area was badly swollen, very angry and red, very hard and hot. A clear sign that infection had set in. I needed to do something, but still did not want to go to the doctor, because I did not want my fingernail taken off. I tried to dig around some more to see if I could get to it, but to no avail. At that point even touching close to the area was so extremely painful, I couldn't get myself to do it.

I did remember that my mom and grandmother years ago, always had some sort of drawing ointment in the house. Something that could be used for splinters, insect bites or any kind of puncture wound. Something that would draw out stuff and even ward off infection. So I went online and looked at the basic ingredients of such an ointment.

Luckily I had all of the ingredients in the house and whipped up a nice big jar of it in a few minutes. I put the salve on with a big bandaid and immediately could feel the pulling. I left it on overnight and am happy to report that by this morning, when I took the bandaid off and washed the salve off, it had drawn enough for me to grab the splinter with my tweezers and pull it all the way out. I kept some more ointment on it for a couple more hours, just in case, but now, a few hours later, while the area is still a bit tender and sore, it is definitely on the way to healing up already and any sign of infection is gone.

I will definitely keep a jar of this ointment around at all times and figured you might want to as well. This is where I absolutely love being a soapmaker, because the basic understanding of my craft made it really easy to make something to help myself.

The basic ingredients are: 2 tsp beeswax, 8 tsp oil (infused with herbs like comfrey, plantain, or calendula), or 6 tsp of plain oil and 2 tsp of MMS botanical extracts, 3 tsp bentonite clay, 3 tsp activated charcoal powder, 30 drops lavender EO and 15 drops tea tree EO. Make sure you do not put this into a metal container, because of the clay. If you use a small glass jar, you can melt your ingredients right in it in the microwave. I did that and was glad because the charcoal is very messy.

I figured this is a great thing to keep around with summertime coming up, kids stepping on rusty nails, getting stung by bees, or getting splinters. Can also be used on pets. Hope someone can get some good use out of it.
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
      0 points
    I will say that MMS has the best charcoal for this type of product. I have tried several suppliers and have run into many inconsistencies. MMS's has been easy to work with and hassle-free. Cept for the black. Yes, charcoal is very messy! We always wear black on Drawing Salve day! Glad you were able to whip something together so quickly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    So do you sell your drawing salve, Becky?

The only charcoal I had in the house was in supplement form. I had to pop the little capsules. That was the messiest part, but I did it over a sheet of paper, so anything that spilled I was able to catch and put in the container as well.

I was going to wait to order charcoal until I was done using my black oxide, as far as soap is concerned. Now I am going to have to rethink that and get some anyway
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
      0 points
    Yes, I do sell the drawing salve. It is one of the products that makes us most nervous. We make it in large batches. I think about 60 jars at a time (for wholesale and store). We have to be so careful with drips, dribbles, etc. Everything has to be wiped down with paper towels before going into the sink for clean up. The difficulty has been with the varying qualities of charcoal. Once, MMS started selling it, all problems were solved. I "think" it is in the difference in granule size? Maybe Taylor or Andee can answer. But, I formulated a great recipe. Did fine. And then ran into troubles with it thickening too quickly and never being able to get it back into submission. We fought and fought this recipe. A nice relief when MMS's started offering it. I bought a lot last time, just in case they quit carrying it!!! I just think it incorporates much better.
  1.   0 points
    I have never bought Activated Charcoal before. I will try it on both of your recommendations. I will need to figure out how to use it in soap making and other items, such as this salve..thanks so much
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    When you label your drawing salve, Becky, how do you get around the pharmaceutical claim thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
      0 points
    So cool Chrima!

I was just reading this article today

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/1000-year-eye-infection-salve-kill-mrsa-super/story?id=30035061

And thought to myself that I wished more medicine relied on some old-time remedies. There's far too many pharmaceuticals on the market (granted we need some of these) but so often there just might be an equally good treatment (if not better in limited cases) for some of the things that ail us.

I hope you make a full recovery soon!
    • CommentAuthorMachins
      0 points
    Thanks for sharing this Chrima! So going to make this to have on hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      2 points
    Lol - if there had been an effective pharmaceutical for my situation, I would have taken it, but like it said, I did not relish the idea of having my fingernail removed to get to the splinter, it was the idea of surgery that had me terrified, and then having to grow that nail back and my right hand index finger be tender until then. I use my hands too much to go through that. I was willing to do anything to avoid that. I was wracking my brain all afternoon as the pain became worse and my finger was throbbing, until I remembered. I didn't even know what it was called, but a little nine-fingered google search got me on the right track.
    • CommentAuthorSuzhartman
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited
      0 points
    Chrima,

Your story makes me hurt too. Ouch!

Drawing salve sounds very interesting. Once I get my foundation soap recipe put to bed, drawing salve might be a good idea. My hubby is always digging some piece of something out of his hands, has a scrape, or whatever. Me too for that matter.

Always learning....
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    Thanks for sharing. I just bought some jewelweed salve to try before I make my own (I also bought dried jewelweed)
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015
      0 points
    Chrima, I haven't found a way around it on this particular product.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    So you're making a claim on the label? Are you labeling as a pharmaceutical? Do you have it tested?
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
      1 point
    I try to keep the guidelines in mind when I create my products and not make any claims. With that said, I probably fall into a gray area with a few. This being one because I do call it a "Drawing" salve. I don't make claims on the label or even say what it is intended for. I chose not to go the pharmaceutical route and just try to keep it as simple as possible. But, it still gets so complicated so quickly! I really should sit down and work my way through the products and make sure I am on the up and up with each one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    This whole question is the reason I have never made products for sale that would be questionable as far as labeling goes. But this salve is something I would love to be able to offer as part of my product line. I guess the name "Drawing Salve" is sort of a gray area. Not making any claims on the rest of the label shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
      0 points
    Yeah, I am certainly not even clear on all of the guidelines or how they have changed over the years. I just try to stay in the safe zone. But, safe sometimes may appear gray!
  2.   0 points
    With a 4 year old in my house, I need to make some of this & have it on hand.
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015
      1 point
    Thanks for sharing your recipe Christine, and glad to hear your finger is feeling better. It was nice to know Becky that MMS sells a superior charcoal. I'll have to order some in next time I need to order. I'm going to make some of this salve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015
      1 point
    I decided I have way too many projects going on but really wanted to have some drawing salve on hand, just in case something happens like Christine's horrible splinter ordeal! I ordered some from Spirit Goat :)

Just in case! :)
  3.   0 points
    Looks like we need to make some Drawing Salve ASAP!!!! A Rogue KITTEN decided to run into our home. My Hubby chased it from room to room, finally caught up with it and it bit the tar out of his thumb!! He bled like a stuck pig!! That was like 2 weeks ago. Well, now UNDER His thumb nail, it is infected and well....oozing. We made up a drawing warm liquid for him to let his thumb hang out for a while, that was yesterday, and now today he is much better. But we want to put a salve on, to help with the remainder. Our liquid was Sea Salt with A mixture of Healing Flowers along with Aloe Vera gel, Clay, Lavender EO, Tea Tree EO, Rosemary EO, And Then Hot water added to the salt/clay, herbal EO mixture, and let it steep for a few minutes then we stuck his thumb into it for about 15 minutes. It DID take away alot of the infection and today it is even looking better. So...gonna make a salve to just coat the finger with, over night....we hope that helps. To see his doctor would require a 200 mile round trip for us....so we would rather just treat him at home...if we can help it. Wow...I like the looks of that Drawing Salve April. That looks fantastic.
  4.   0 points
    ok...the www.spiritgoat.com.....is this from one of the soapy friends here on the forum by chance?
    Very Nice Site Indeed :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited
      0 points
    Yes, the spirit goat is blyeager or Becky ;)

Be careful of cat bites! They can be nasty!!!!!!

Saying that, I've been bitten or scratched a few times myself having rescued way too many kittens/cats. I've 7 indoors now and at minimum 3-6 ferals running around the neighborhood. Most of the time if I get an infection I will soak in a pretty stiff mixture of salt water (and sometimes have to scrub out the wound with salt...ouch). Then continue to treat. Recently, I had one fall fully clawed out off my lap, washed immediately and then coated in the salve! Pain gone...no infection...it did take several days to get all the salve off, but worked great for the scratches.

Bites are dangerous though. So make sure your checking for redness, puss, fever, pain etc. If these things continue to be present after a few days, he might possibly need antibiotics and Dr. Care. I hope you've got it under control!!!! 2 weeks (and the location of infection) makes me worry a bit....don't go much longer if you haven't seen improvement in the next day or so. I hope all will be well.

I've never needed antibiotics but my daughter did once because of a bite on her finger joint.
  5.   1 point
    That soak we did on his thumb did the trick!! Yes, it was full of puss UNDER his thumb nail. but now its better and not more puss . The drawing soak we did is super close to the salve, but just a soak instead. It seemed to work and no more redness or puss. its healing up now nice. Amazing what some NATURAL things we do, can help. wow, good to see Beckys site. I love it, looks great too
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
      0 points
    Is your husband's thumb still ok? Soaking oftentimes does help draw out the nasties and your soak seems supercharged!
  6.   1 point
    His nail DOES seem ok now...BUT...the infection killed the nail, at least a part of the nail. He picked off the nail that died and fresh new skin is growing under the part of the nail that died. I would not of done that, but .....he did, and its done now. not the best thing to do at all....but its done and we are dealing with it. Fresh pink skin is growing and NO infection is around anymore. His thumb looks just fine now, except for the area where he picked off the dead finger nail. It really is doing well and has surprised me on that one. Me, I would of gone in to have my thumb looked at by a doctor. Anyway, what is done is done. He is all good now. Thanks for asking April :-)