Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryT8M
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015
      1 point
    OK, I'm 'visiting' this again.......I just bought some beautiful Blue Micas (from a well known, reputable company) that SAID they were stable in CP soap.....I used 2 in 1 batch with the batter also divided into other colors (TD, Black Oxide, D&C Green #5...which is BLUE) The 2 new Blue Micas morphed.....or at least 1 did but I can't really tell now that the soap has saponified.....which did, or if they both did. I'd like to 'test' them without wasting all of my other ingredients......how much lye and water should I mix up to test these 2 micas? Or would the whole thing be a waste? I suppose I could make a small 1 pound batch and test all the colors I got from this company......SIGH
  1.   0 points
    Subbing for answers! This is something I have been wondering about too....
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    You know, I remember this from the past, way back when, that it was hard to get blue micas that were supposed to be safe in CP soap. I would contact the company you got them from and see if they can send you sample pictures. They had to have tested them to tell you if they are safe in CP.
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      1 point
    I've contacted them and they're being OK, but didn't offer any sample pictures just trying to say it varies with different oils (I don't use anything fancy).....but want to see a picture of MY soap.....that's OK too, I sent that, but I have no clue with so many colors swirled which of THEIR micas didn't work. The TD, Black, and D&C Green #5 are all obvious, but when swirling, those colors mix with each other too giving different hues. They acknowledged that others have had problems, and that still others "love them'.......I asked what was different with the people who 'loved them' and received no reply. Guess I'll make my own small batch and divide it between the 4 blues I got from them
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
      0 points
    Mary, I never trust a new mica. I always run a test batch. They are just too finicky. What fragrance did you use in this batch? Sometimes, it can be all about the fragrance or essential oil. Or your recipe, as they said. In this case, since you aren't using any unusual oils and your other colors didn't morph ... these might just be micas that don't work in CP. So many don't in CP and it can be frustrating. Don't forget our good friend, Ultramarine Blue. Tried and true!
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    The bottom 2 are the blue Micas in question.....I went a head and made up a 1 pound batch and divided it into 4 cups each with 1/2 teaspoon of the blue Micas that came in this set. As you can see the top and middle right look fine, but the 2 on the bottom morphed to nothing. I also tried several sample FO I had and I LOVE them all....Wink is in the bright Blue, Tropical Kiss in the dark blue Enchanted Apple in the bottom right, and Cabana Boys in the bottom left

By doing this experiment I was able to present this to the seller. I'll take another picture after I unmold tomorrow or Sunday
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    right click on the little image thing at the beginning of the post......sorry
    • CommentAuthorMaryT8M
      0 points
    I love the Ultrmarines and also really like using D&C Green #5 (which is a nice blue in CP) In the batch I made yesterday I used MMS Forks FO. The seller said all were good in CP and that all had been tested. I've never had a problem with any Micas that SAID they were good in CP.....guess I won't be so trusting next time
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015
      0 points
    Oh, boo, Mary! I can't see the pic even with a right click!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
     photo micasamples_zpsm5mapddi.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    ^^^ Hope this helps!
    • CommentAuthorblyeager
      0 points
    Thanks, Christina! Totally washed out, didn't they! Mary, I would be interested in hearing this company's response to the difference in your results vs. their results.

Cute mold. Perfect for testing and good idea to break up a batch. Silicone? Are they half circles or shapes?
  2.   0 points
    Nice Christine, Thanks for posting the picture