Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorsudzclf
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015
      0 points
    I'm a new menber, but have enjoyed the forum for some time. I am a self taught soap makerfrom Kansas,, which means Many mistakes,started making soaps about 6 years ago. As a nurse I appreciate the natural, plus just love making soaps. MMS has been a great source of info and some of the best soap making supplies I have found. Had some shoulder surgeries that put my soaping on hold for a couple of years, but I'm retired now and READY to get back to it. I'm still learning, always something new to try. Just want to thank all for allowing me to sneak a peek at all the info you have on this forum. I hope I will be a benificial to you in some way as a new member. NOW I already have a question---A friend is giving me lots of goat milk and I have made several batches, thru trial and error. My question is - being fresh milk should I allow room for the milk fat when superfatting? I usually superfat at 7-8 %. The soap is only about 8 weeks old at this time and so far no orange spots. Anyone know how long the milk can be frozen and still usable? Thanks
  1.   0 points
    Send me some goats milk over here!!!!! :-) I found this article that seems really helpful when freezing your goat milk: http://www.everything-goat-milk.com/freezing-milk.html
    • CommentAuthorsudzclf
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015
      0 points
    Wish I could send you some of the milk. Have it in the fridge freezer above my essential oils,probably will have a very strange odor if not used soon. Thanks for the article,good info, not too worried about taste with freezing just the change in odor. Trying my hand at goat milk lotion. So far I really like. I do pasterize before using for soapor lotion. Anyone know of a lab for testing the lotions? Samples of lotion given to friends and family are so good am considering selling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015
      2 points
    Ha, i answered a similar question a while back about superfatting and using milk or other fatty additives. Going to copy and paste it here. It'll make your head spin for a minute there, but I had fun figuring it all out.

Additives like milk or coconut milk will not throw off your superfatting percentage that much. If you calculate your recipe in the 5% range, you are pretty much safe with most additives. Think about this - regular whole milk on average has 4% fat. That is homogenized pasteurized cows milk. The average dairy goat will give milk that contains about 3.9 % milk fat. If you are using fresh from the farm milk, those numbers will inevitably vary. Lower in the winter time, higher, up to 6% in the summer time. But let's go with the average. That makes 4 ml fat to 1l of milk, or let me translate that for you into American. Let's say you have a recipe that requires 16 ounces of liquid. Provided you replace all of the water with milk, that would give you .6 oz of extra fat. Provided you are making CP soap but are not taking a water discount, that would give you somewhere around 45 oz of oil. A little over 1/2 ounce is not going to significantly throw off your percentage. 5% of 45 oz is 2.75 oz. If you ad .6 oz to that, your total superfatting percentage will still stay below the 8% you mentioned you prefer in your recipe. Also, think about it this way. If you adjust your superfatting percentage to accommodate the extra fat from you additive, then why add this additive in the first place? And yes, you are right, the drying time for CP soap made this way would be quite long unless you live in a very dry climate. The only thing I could recommend to speed things up a bit is to create extra air flow around those soaps while on the drying rack. Put a fan on them or something. Sometimes my most luxurious soaps don't last very long not because they are soft, but because they are so luxurious I can't help but later up repeatedly because I am enjoying them so much. I do know for a fact that some of my customers do the same.
    • CommentAuthorsudzclf
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015
      0 points
    Chrima, thanks for the info and yes my head is spinning. I will take closer read again when my head is not so cluttered. Looking back I see that I superfated the gm at 7%, also have a dehummidifier in the room with the soap for 2-3 weeks. Going to make some more tomorrow, had a few cracks in the 1st few batches, now put in fridge, so far no cracks. thanks again.