Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    OK, soapy friends, I have another question for you all....this time is about mixing EOs to get nice scents.

I have the following EOs at home:
    Rosemary EO
    Litsea Cubeba EO
    Citronella EO
    Chinese Star Anise EO
    Lavandin EO

What can I mix together to get a nice scent? This weekend I am making my milk soaps for my sister's baby shower & want to concoct a nice scent with what I have available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
      0 points
    Do you have any tiny containers to test the scents in? I usually count out drops into a tiny container, mix, let rest a while (even a few days) then put a couple drops of the mix with a few drops oil and rub it into the inside of my wrist and elbow...this gives me a good idea of how it'll smell. If I like it, then bigger batch. Take good notes so you can recreate.

I'd start with

lavandin, rosemary, and listea cubea...possibly a bit of citronella
    Star anise, lavandin, listea cubea

Just got to try different concentrations to your liking...if you research each oil you can usually find something each one works well with.

One of my favorites is Bulgarian Lavender with Cedar wood.
  2.   1 point
    April,

Great minds think alike, I was thinking of using the Star Anise, lavandin, & the listea cubeba together too!!! LOL! I think I am going to use paper towels & put a couple of drops & see how I like the scents. I am one of those people that have chronic sinus issues, so my sense of smell isn't all that great. So I don't trust myself much when mixing scents! LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
      0 points
    Take a break between each one, sniff some coffee between each one too ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015 edited
      1 point
    Don't be afraid to try FO's in mixes too....I do one for my husband with Oakmoss/Sandalwood FO, Rosemary EO, and Helichrysum EO. Also do, Satsuma FO, Tangerine EO, and Blood Orange EO for his soap :)

I've mixed two FO's into the soap I'll be sending in the swap ;)
  3.   0 points
    Yes, the coffee thing does work...I also have done where I place what I want as a scent on a cotton ball. Then I just let it dry good and solid, say, an hour or more. Then I go back to it and wave it all around by head and nose to see what its aroma is like after it has dried. Sometimes it changes from its wet liquid aroma to when it is dry, that has been my experience at least.
  4.   1 point
    Totally agree with April about blending fo's and eo's. My favorite is sandalwood fo blended with lime. It is to die for. Makes a great unisex scent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016
      0 points
    Mmmm. That combination sounds lovely d. Now I just need to find a sandalwood FO or even EO I like. I've just begun searching, if you've one or several you like, I'd be most interested!!! :)
  5.   1 point
    April,
    I get my Sandalwood fo from another supplier. Not sure if I am permitted to mention it. I use the fo because the eo is so expensive. It is the only sandalwood I have ever tried, and I like it, so I have never tried any other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2016
      0 points
    I'm sure listing another supplier here would not offend. The gals at MMS are super hip and care about our overall success :) At some point they may chime in to confirm!

If you're worried about giving up your own source for proprietary reasons, I completely understand!!!!

We all have to have a few secrets to maintain individuality :)

I am going to keep looking for that perfect sandalwood that tickles me. Just hoping to abbreviate the search a little for cash sake :)
  6.   1 point
    April,
    I get my Sandalwood FO from WSP. I love it and like I said earlier, I blend lime eo with it. Heavy on the lime eo, less on the Sandalwood Fo. It is heavenly. Hope this helps!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorApril
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016
      0 points
    Thank you so much <3 I'll definitely give it a try! :)
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
      0 points
    Rosemary eo and mint eo? Anyone use these? if you do, which type of mint, peppermint ? spearmint? do you add anything else to this combo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016
      0 points
    I've used Peppermint & Spearmint with Rosemary in a 2:2:1 ratio. I've also liked using Peppermint, Sage and Rosemary in a 2:1:1 ratio.

Nice and refreshing.
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2016
      0 points
    thanks