Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormiltown
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017
      0 points
    So I am about to attempt making a lotion that I had purchased many years ago that is no longer available. The bottle has all the ingredients on the label. So my question to start is how do I know how much of each ingredient to put in the mix. I have a general receipt formula:

70% water
    15% Liquid oils
    5% butter
    3% steric acid
    1% fragance oils
    .1% - .5% perservatives

So lets take for example liquid oils do I just put in equal amounts of each to get the 15% total?

Thanks,
    Paul
    • CommentAuthorgabriel
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017
      0 points
    i suggest that you don't count on what is on the label. just find a another recipe.
    • CommentAuthormiltown
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017
      0 points
    Not quite sure what you mean by your suggestion or maybe I should ask why? This was a homemade product in the first place that was sold to little boutique stores . The numbers I listed are not from the ingredients it's was a formula on how to make a lotion . I want to plug those ingredients into this formula so to speak . I've made soaps before but not a lotion .

Paul
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017
      0 points
    Paul,

In answer to your first question, yes. You would start with equal amounts to get your 15%. Lotions are a little interesting in that sometimes a little change in ingredients can make a big texture change.

How fluid was the lotion you first purchased? The Stearic Acid is high enough that it would be the amount I would use in a body cream.
    • CommentAuthormiltown
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017 edited
      0 points
    Thanks for the answer . As far as those percentages I got those from some website that showed how to make lotion and they stated that these percentages are where you would start. The bottle I got the ingredients from does not list proportions unfortunately so I will definitely be doing some trial and error. There is Stearic acid in the recipe but I have no idea how much. To answer the second question which I'm excited you asked is the lotion is very liquid and it dries after it is applied. Very slight oil sensation. I'm not sure how to describe the consistency it's not creamy at all more of a water but not as "light" as water kinda like a hair conditioner texture but not as creamy or slippery. Like I said it does "dry" so to speak. Funny thing is there are a lot of oils in the recipe like 14 of them. All fragrance ,though there is wheat germ , rosehip, avocado, and aloe vera. Thanks again.

Paul