Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   1 point
    I keep seeing these cute sponges that have been soaked or "infused" with some type of extra moisturizing soap, so when you use them in the shower they are ready to go. They don't look like a CP soap imbedded type of thing, but I could be wrong. Maybe liquid soap? They apparently keep the soapiness for weeks. Has anyone made these or even tried them out? I'm completely intrigued and would love some more info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
      0 points
    I haven't seen them, but I saw one where someone had poured CP soap into a loofah, then sliced it. I want to try that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFairy Cute
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
      0 points
    Ooh! This would be fun! I'll keep my eyes open.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      0 points
    I have never heard of it either. Melt and Pour soap?
    • CommentAuthornpeters
      0 points
    Can you post a link so we can see what these soaped sponges look like? Thanks! Also, the loofah soaked one too :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
      0 points
    I saw the loofah in a library book by a guy named Dr. Bob something. It was CP soap. He wrapped the loofah tightly in plastic wrap, then poured in the soap. I bought a couple loofahs to try it. My husband wondered if it would work to put the loofah into some pvc pipe, then pour in the soap. I might try it both ways and see how they work. If I can find the book I'll post the name.
  2.   0 points
    I've done the loofah in a section of PVC pipe with clear Melt & Pour soap. They sold pretty well. They are real simple too do. Never tried doing them with CP.
    • CommentAuthorZany in CO
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited
      1 point
    I googled "soap filled sponge" and got several responses. The Sponge Bob one got got high marks. Clever idea, but how do you suppose they keep the soap from being used up in one use???

Janna, is this the book? "Essentially Soap" by Robert S., Dr. McDaniel (Paperback) (The soapmaker who introduced INS values for creating “perfect” soap.)

If anyone is interested in making them, here's a Loofa Soap Tutorial:

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/ss/loofahsoap.htm

Cee
  3.   1 point
    Here is a link to the place that is selling them. http://www.spongelle.com/onlinestore.html

The review I read said it was infused with "body wash" and I got the impression that it was more pliable, not solid like a bar of soap. Perhaps it is just some type of detergent soap and not actual CP soap. I just thought it looked interesting. Maybe I'll have to buy one to try out. A little pricey though.
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010
      0 points
    A friend who sells soap at a Farmer's Market along with me just used PVC Pipe to make Loofah soap with CP. She said she put a cap on the bottom of the PVC pipe, put in the loofah and then slowly poured her CP soap into the pipe. Let it sit overnight. She said it got quite warm and did go through the gel process. In the morning she put it in the freezer for 45 minuts and then pushed it out of PVC pipe. DO use mineral oil in the PVC pipe she said. Cut with a serrated knife. Her soap looked great and I can't wait to try this myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPollyFae
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
      1 point
    I use empty pringles cans, have for years. Just wet the luffa really well and shake out and stuff in the empty container. Pour in the soap and tap on the counter after filling every few inches to release the air bubbles. The inside does have a 'metal' type coating but it really doesn't affect the finished product except for some "pitts" in the soap. It looks a bit rustic but is fine.

I have been using the cardboard pringles cans for about 8 years. Gives me an excuse to buy Pringles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
      0 points
    Cee -yes, that's the book! He had made a loofah filled with cp soap. His recipes looked interesting, but I didn't try any of them.

PollyFae - Do you slice them after taking them out of the can? How much do you sell it for? Does the soap stay totally inside the loofah, or does it seep out, and you end up with a round soap with a loofah embedded in it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPollyFae
      1 point
    Janna
    Yes, I slice them after peeling off the can with a bread knife (serrated blade). Usually the luffa's fit exactly in the can so the soap is embedded thoughout all the little holes. That's why I wet the sponges first, so they will fit the can better and be more absorbant since they are damp. The soap does stay inside, if i understood your question correctly, it does not seem to fall out when using until it dissolves far enough.

I sold them 3 slices for $6, i believe. I haven't made them in a couple years but plan on starting to make them again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    for several years i have made my foot scrub soap with loofahs in it, however, i always used melt and pour glycerine knowing i could get consistent results, with it being thin enough to completely fill all the little spaces in the loofahs. i have also tried both methods, wrapping them in saran wrap and just filling the loofahs, or doing them in pvc pipe. i like the pipe method better, since saran wrap has been banned in my house as being one of those wasteful items. the other day i finally decided to give the cp soap a try. i did make sure i wet the loofahs. i believe it makes it easier for the soap to saturate them. i also poured at very thin trace, tapped, poured and tapped again. i cut it in slices today and am soooo much happier with the results. the loofah slices make such a pretty design in the soap slices. and cutting it wasn't all that hard either. i used a ginsu knife.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
      0 points
    I can't wait to try it! I'm doing a craft show in November, and think they'll be a fun thing to sell as stocking stuffers for Christmas!
  4.   1 point
    I made some embedded loofahs last night. They turned out wonderfully! Thanks for the tips PollyFae. Here is my blog post of the experiment: http://brittanylanesoaps.blogspot.com/2010/10/lotsa-loofah-embedded-soap.html
  5.   0 points
    Well done, brittanylane! (applauding) I'm using Sap Moss in a Gardener's Soap at my kitchen sink too. Love it! I loved all your other soaps as well. Excellent swirls!

TIP: When using Crayolas to color soap, you only need 1" ppo.

Thanks for sharing!

Cee
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010
      0 points
    BRITTANYLANE!!!~~

Those loofa soaps are so beautiful that I'm going to try it! Thanks for the great blog pics! :-))

Laurie:-))))) !!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
      0 points
    Brittanylane - They look awesome! Going to the store to stock up on Pringle's tomorrow!!!
  6.   1 point
    Thanks! By the way, the juice cans work a little better than the Pringles, even though they are a bit smaller, because they don't have that weird aluminum wrapper that reacts with the soap. It sorta bubbles up on the edges and discolors it slightly. For this darker color I didn't mind, but when I used them with uncolored soap it made strange colors on the edges. Just a heads up.
    • CommentAuthorZany in CO
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
      1 point
    ...better than juice cans or pringles, IMO, are the plastic "cans" that ready-made frosting comes in. They hold exactly a pound of soap, can be greased for easy release, and can be used over and over and over again... of course, if you have no use for frosting, but you have all kinds of volunteers to drink juice and eat pringles, I guess that's the best way to go! LOL

Cee
  7.   0 points
    Good idea Cee! I'm always on the hunt for new containers to try.
    • CommentAuthorLyndah
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
      0 points
    I keep forgetting to comment on this thread. When we went to Tarpon Springs last January I bought a soap (CP) that had the sea sponge imbedded in it. I thought it was pretty neat to use but then got kind of funky toward the end and started falling apart. I like the idea of the loofa better!
    • CommentAuthoritz16
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
      0 points
    Where do you buy your loofas?
    I haven't bought any before and I'm wondering how much they usually cost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
      0 points
    I bought mine at Meijer - similar to a Superwalmart, for $1.59
  8.   0 points
    I got mine at a WinCo grocery store for $1.00
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010
      0 points
    PollyFae and Brittanylane... Finally found some loofahs at Target in the next town over. They were $1.89 each. (need to find better priced place, i see!) And also ate my way through a couple cans of pringles and had some orange juice to boot. <LOL> Can you please tell me how many ounces of oil you use for one batch recipe of the loofa soap in both the orange and pringle cans?? THANK YOU! Going to make it today, hopefully! I love the look of that soap, Brittanylane! :-D Can't wait to make it!!
  9.   0 points
    Laurie - My recipe is in grams 1514 (53 ounces or 3.3 pounds) per batch. This filled one large Pringles can and two frozen juice cans perfectly.
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010
      0 points
    Thank You Brittanylane!!! Going to give it a try this afternoon then. :D

Laurie
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
      0 points
    Update... Made my Loofah Soap. IT IS FABULOUS!! LOVE IT!! I cut Britt's recipe in half for starters and made one large pringle can full for a test. Lined the inside with waxed butcher paper. Used pear FO and a light yellow mica pigment and it is wonderful!!!! My husband keeps bugging me about when am I going to make some for him that has a different scent. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE on this loofah soap. The rounds are great! It turned out very, VERY pretty also! :-D

Have a great day and thanks again,
    Laurie:-)
  10.   0 points
    Hooray!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
      0 points
    It sounds like so much fun and they're so pretty! (oh dear, another thing to do).
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
      0 points
    Yes! I wish you could see a picture of these light yellow/vanilla ones. :-) You better try it, Esther! ;-))))
    Thanks again everyone! :-D Going to make another batch today! :-D
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
      0 points
    PS: And they now have a BUNCH of different flavors of Pringles. =-0 ;-)) (good excuse to munch away...guilt free! lol )
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    I'm already scoping out loofahs on Ebay.
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
      1 point
    Do you have a Target store in your local vicinity?? If you do, go get a couple from them first, before you order a bunch, to see if you like it. (which you will! lol ) At Target, they were around $1.49 for a 6" one. Not bad. :-)
    ps: At Target, they hang on a hook and are wrapped in shrink wrap and flat. You have to soak them to "plump them up" HAHAHA! I was looking for a package or box and had trouble finding them on the shelf. Duh. ;-)
    • CommentAuthormeadowyck
      0 points
    Laurie

please post a picture of your new loofah soap.

blessings,

Jan
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    ps: At Target, they hang on a hook and are wrapped in shrink wrap and flat. You have to soak them to "plump them up" HAHAHA! I was looking for a package or box and had trouble finding them on the shelf. Duh. ;-)

OH! Well then, CVS has them in their bath section, but I've always thought they were permanently flat. Ya learn something everyday!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    you can get those flat loofahs at ingles grocery stores here in the south for 99c. just unwrap and wet them to plump them up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    We have Target but Ingles groceries are only in the northern 1/3 of the state (we in the lower 2/3's are viewed as hicks I guess).
    • CommentAuthormeadowyck
      0 points
    You could also trying growing them. They are editable when they are young and the longer you leave them on the vine they sort of rot. They you skin them a let them dry. Even after they have cured they are never as hard as the ones you purchase in the store.

It is a very fast growing vine that will take over if you don't keep it in check and it needs very strong support.

Blessings,

Jan
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010
      0 points
    they may not be as sturdy as the ones you buy, but they work very well for imbedding into soap. just at the rate that my foot soap sells, i never grow enough to keep up with the demand. so i sell the ones i grow separately. even the little puny ones. people love them for scrubbing their face as they are softer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
      0 points
    Well, I've got loofah's ordered from Ebay (the store was charging $2.50 for a 4" piece to those of us living in The Black Hole in the Middle of Nowhere) so Ebay is WAY cheaper.

And (drumroll)...
    I'm eating a can of Pringles (OK, CVS store brand) chips. The things we do for soap. :)
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
      0 points
    I just realized I'm not getting my MMS Forum updates again. Not in my Spam Folder either... :-(

Meadowyck... Where can I post a pic of my loofah soaps on here and how? Also, that is a great idea abt growing some to try. I live on the Wisconsin/Illinois border... Would they grow in my region? (next year...Winter is coming fast..EEEEEEEEEE)

Esther... I went to Target to get more the other day and they had none left in stock. of coarse the stockman would not go check the inventory so I, too, went to Ebay and found some 7" ones and ordered them. They should be here any day now. (?) Hope they are good ones...I certainly have been having bad luck on ordering things online lately. :-P
    Did you get your order yet? And if so, how do they look?

Everyone have a great day!!
    PS: they have some awesome new Pringles flavors, don't they! HAHAHAHHAA! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    I haven't got my loofahs yet--- it takes twice as long to get here in The Black Hole in the Middle of Nowhere. So, I'll just keep eating Pringles. I'll let you know what mine look like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    i saw one of those pre-soaped bath sponges at the CVS pharmacy today. they were basically those artificial bath sponges, about an inch thick, flower shaped with what felt like dried shower gel in them. they sold for $ 4.99. it said to wet and squeeze them to get them to lather, and when done to squeeze out excess moisture and let dry before next use. i looked at the ingredient label and it looked quite similar to what's in shower gel. i'm wondering though, if this could be achieved with thick liquid soap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited
      0 points
    My loofahs arrived today, I got 5 for a little under 10 bucks, and they're all at least 8 to 14 inches. I'm thrilled! They look great and the small end pieces are usable also.

How much soap do I need to make per Pringles can?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
      0 points
    Maybe I didn't see it above, but there's another (simpler?) way of using the loofah (no pvc pipe). just make sure it is dry enough , cut it into cubes and use your grinder to bring it to a "powder" (ok, not powder, but 5-7 mm long fibers). Then add it to you CP soap as you would do with any other plant. Do you think it is feasible? It will go down the drain as you wash, but you will not have a loofah that's too hard for you to rub on your skin (I know I have to make sure I keep my loofah sponge into hot water before using it on my skin).

I'm really curious if you guys would enjoy this idea :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    MMS has ground loofah in its catalog. I've got some, just need to put it to use. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      0 points
    @ AnaBanana - ah, that is very nice indeed! I never checked the MMS catalog, because shipping to Romania + customs discussions would be too expensive (just add an extra 31% to the total cost if the order is over 200USD, and usually it is :D). Anyway, looking forward to see your soaps :)