Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
      1 point
    Was one of the goodies in the swap. I started making cream soap yesterday and I only had 50% of the glycerin needed so I decided to give the Sodium Lactate a go...

OMIGOD! BEST looking cream soap I've ever done... the cooking texture was different --it never went solid when hot but once it cooled it went straight to "old cold mashed potatoes" in appearance. And it whipped up beautifully!

YAY! Thanks so much Andee!!
    • CommentAuthormeadowyck
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
      0 points
    I know that Sodium lactate is also good in cp soap.

This coming weekend while DH is out of town I was going to try and make my first cream soap so this is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Jan
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
      0 points
    Congratulations to you for making such a fine soap! Yippee to all those who try!!!
  1.   0 points
    ok, so where or how do you make cream soap? Sounds like a new experiment.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    I have a recipe I'd be happy to share. I will be honest, you'd think you were getting the 10 million dollar cookie recipe, it's a very hard to learn about process... not hard to do, just recipes etc are carefully guarded. Hellifino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
      0 points
    I'd love to see your recipe - thanks for being willing to share the secret!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
      3 points
    I want to preface this with I am still very much a noob, by no means an expert, just a totally fearless, way too curious ADDer and willing to screw things up more than once. I've only found one online recipe at Soap Making Essentials, though I've seen several good tutorials.

Cream Soap
    (my springboard was the recipe at Soap Making Essentials and I've tweaked the recipe since---visual tutorials at http://yummysuds.blogspot.com/2010/02/creamed-soap-tutorial.html and http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/how-to-make-soap-whipped-cream.html)).

10 oz stearic acid
    3 oz coconut
    2.5 oz olive
    1 oz castor
    1.5 oz lard
    1.0 oz oil (almond, safflower)
    2.8 oz glycerin
    2 oz Sodium Lactate

28 oz water
    .4 oz lye
    2.9 oz potash

ADDITIVES:
    1 TBSP silk
    2 tsp clay
    2 tsp powdered sugar

SUPERCREAM:
    super cream at neutral
    .5 each stearic and glycerin melted together in in the microwave. (In a glass container--- if you do it in plastic...SURPRISE!!)

This is a hot process soap.
    a. Melt the fats, add the alkalines to water, then and mix fats and alkalines in usual fashion in crock pot on high.
    b. Stick blend to trace (it'll give you fits and look weird, but weird is the trademark of this soap)
    c. Add additives and stick blend the bejeebers out of it some more.
    d. Cook the snot out of it... until neutral then supercream adding extra glycerin/stearic acid.
    e. Cook some more until 'done' (you'll know).

The tutorials are a great help.

It'll look like nasty old cold mashed potatoes at first and you'll think you've ruined the soap. It'll even feel lumpy, cold and disgusting--- not like soap at all. You'll contemplate writing a snippy note to the person who gave you the recipe.

But the next day, it's starts loosening up and changing. Keep messing with it.
    You can add water if it looks and acts too tight and dry. If it's too wet, just let it sit for days with the lid off.
    You can hand stir it or whip it in your stand mixer...which will make it look like whipped cream! To the point you almost lick the spatula. DON'T!!!!

But that's not what it ages to...
    You let it sit and 'rot' for at least 6 to 8 weeks, stirring daily. I have heard some let it rot for months. It does get prettier with age.
    I have mine in a large stainless steel bowl covered with a sheet of plastic wrap.... it's easier to stir that way and I just leave the spatula in the bowl---
    beating the cream soap at night gets out a lot of frustration.

The first I made back in spring is gorgeous and looks pearlescent.... The final product looks like a really perfect 7 Minute Frosting.

Then you can add color, fragrance etc. It can be used as a shave cream and the guys rave about it when you can customize the fragrance for them.
    Me? I have a jars of it by my tub colored and scented to match my favorite fragrances. It's just super wonderful on a bath pouf... it's so beautiful and just decadent.

I've made cream soap four times and each time was different because I have the attention span of a gnat.
    I've made it with too much water (I cooked it out until it was drier)
    I've made it with too little water and it set up like almost solid old glue in the bottom of the crock pot. I added water after it cooled and used my hands to work the water through it. It became gorgeous in time!
    I've made it without supercream cuz I forgot. (still OK)
    This last batch I made I used sodium lactate and it didn't go to solid old nasty potatoes until it was cold.

Seriously, if I can't screw it up, nobody can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
      0 points
    thanks! Where do you get potash?
    • CommentAuthormeadowyck
      0 points
    Esther

you are hysterical! I love your accounting how your trials with learning to make cream soap.

Also thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I've got one that an long time ago soap gave me for her beautiful cream soap. If I get it to work this weekend, then I'll be more than happy to share it. Now to go find it again.....

Blessings,

Jan
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
      0 points
    Janna, You can get potash (potassium hydroxide) from the same vendor that carries lye (sodium hydroxide).... I get mine from "The Lye Guy".

OH! And here's pictures....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1522572&l=370c5a66f9&id=1076617250
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
      2 points
    Making cream soap has been on my wishlist since I first saw the pics of your Esther. I finally got the supplies and nerve to make it! Bought Failor's book and joined that yahoo group just in case I got into trouble. Was pretty dang easy though and I only had to bug the ladies in the group once. Turns out I have no patience and it just needed rest and a touch of water.
    Here is mine at 8 days and I can't bear to wait!!! I already have a tiny bit I have been using by the shower from just after I whipped it on day 2. Now it looks even better and I want to swim in it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      3 points
    aw!! this looks so yummy!!!!! are you sure it's not a cake making process? :-)
    • CommentAuthorBonnie
      1 point
    Mesha, that looks wonderful. Oh, darn! Now I want to go make 7-minute frosting!
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
      1 point
    Mesha, your soap does look like 7 minute frosting - yum. Esther, thanks for sharing the recipe, now I am going to have to try making a cream soap. Sigh, something else to do in soapmaking. . .but I can't resist now.
    • CommentAuthorgrammadawn
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
      1 point
    I've never tried hot process or making a liquid soap. That looks amazing Mesha!! Esther, thanks SO much for sharing. I don't know when I'm gonna get a chance to try this but I sure have moved it to the top of my list!!