Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    Just curious how anyone out there stores their bath bombs. With the recent rain storm that went through here last week, my bath bombs have now morphed a little. They are in individual plastic bags, not sealed, had not gotten to that point. Shame on me. :) Not so sure some of them will come out of the bag....I make mine with oil, if that is any difference. They seem to not be firming up as nicely as i would like them to either, but I have already discussed that with Andee. Back to storage....ideas anyone?

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2010
      2 points
    I make a lot of bath bombs for gifts during the holidays.... I've found that once they've dried --I let mine sit in a gas oven set on 100 overnight-- I shrink wrap them and then put them in a large plastic container with a lid. Before I had shrink wrap, I put them in zip locks, then the container. They are very very hydrophilic.

To mix, I use oils also, spritzing with alcohol to help bind them. So far, after about 3 years, I've got a pretty good recipe going.
  2.   0 points
    Just spritz with rubbing alcohol? If you do not mind, I make about a .....cup at a time, trying to get this down. BUt now I see one of my errors, not the right baking soda to citric acid proportions this is one of my recipes: 1/2 c baking soda, 1/4 c citric acid, 1/4 c yogurt + seasalt. with 1 oz of oil usually sweet almond. It should probably be 1/2 c baking soda, 1/8 c citric, 1/8 YOugurt powder with sea salt, and less oil. THis would give me a 2:1ratio. How many spritz of alcohol would you use in this particular instance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      1 point
    Are you using wet yogurt or yogurt powder? Citric acid reacts and foams when it hits water....if a mixture has too much water in it, you basically cancel out the citric acid because it'll foam out in the mixing process.

Here is my recipe--- I've made it water free.
    * 1 Cup Baking Soda
    * 3/4 Cup Citric Acid
    * 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
    MIX

* 1 Tbsp Oil (almond, grapeseed etc)
    * 2 Tsp Poly Sorbate 80
    * Vitamin E Oil
    * 1 Tsp Fragrance Oil
    * 1/4 Tsp Borax Powder
    * 1/4 Tsp Gel Colorant
    MIX this together and add to dry products

* 12 Spritzers Of Alcohol
    To bind as needed
  3.   0 points
    Sorry yogurt powder.
  4.   0 points
    I have almost all of those ingredients. but if I want to sub out for other ingredients for instance sea salt, honey powder, or other dry herbs or powders, would you suggest decreasing the baking soada or the citric acid?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    I've found it to be very forgiving. I make my bath bombs more with kids in mind so I make them with as much citric acid as possible. I've added stuff like milk powder, grated cocobutter etc and not had it effect the outcome at all. Salt, however, is tricky for me. The wrong amount and the dang things won't hold together.
  5.   0 points
    So what you are saying is keep the base of 1 c Bak Soda to 3/4 c citric acid, and addd the other ing. above and beyond that? I shall give this a try tonight. :)
  6.   0 points
    The alcohol is what sets the baking soda and citric acid?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    It's a binder. Honestly, with the oils etc, I've had to use no to very little alcohol at times. I don't know whether its the humidity or additives, but the amount can vary.

And my bombs dry hard.
  7.   0 points
    Thanks Esther,

I just noticed last night that another box had gotten placed on top of my box of bath bombs(which has no lid) they are all slightly squished now. As well I had placed another bomb with a bar of soap in a box to ship to my sister. well the box had tilted sideways probably for a few days now, picked it up to finish packing it and the bomb is now flat on 2 sides. They are firm enough to handle, but not firm enough to ship I do nto think. ......Thank you for all of your help today.
  8.   0 points
    Esther,

Ok, so the borax is there to set the color right? I have omitted those two ingredients, just making them white for now.

I put them in my oven and boy oh boy did the kitchen smell of lavender and peppermint. I did not leave the oven on all night, I just warmed it up to 100 degrees and then turned it off and went to bed. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
      0 points
    Yeah, I leave out the borax when I'm out. Some of the simplest recipes are just citric acid and soda, so all the rest is extra.

How did they turn out? They sound fabulous!
  9.   0 points
    Well, still waiting to see if they are going to firm up. I made some last night, and I picked one up this orning, and it did not crumble, but it split in half.....

The ones I did on Sunday afternoon, seem pretty firm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
      0 points
    How much pressure do you put on them when you make them? (I pack the daylights out of mine).
  10.   0 points
    As much as my hands can handle. It was one that was done very late last night....can't imagine I was tired or anything.....
  11.   0 points
    ok Esther,

I bagged all of the bombs I have done so far. I broke two that I made just last night. The ones I made on Sunday seem to be firming up nicely. How long do yours usually take to firm up? I am worried about mine getting squished when shipping, or selling at the craft fair next weekend.

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
      0 points
    Mine are usually firm in 24 hours....rock hard. I pack and squish the bejeebers out of mine. Another thing that may help (if you feel they're still too fragile) is to shrink wrap them and that gives them external support.
  12.   0 points
    I am going to start spritzing with alcohol....I just bought a new bottle and it has eluded me as to where I put it. Shall pick up another one today and a little spary bottle. :)

Mine are definately not ROCK solid. :( ANd the only thing I am doing differently is not spritzing with alcohol.
    • CommentAuthornpeters
      0 points
    I've been using witch hazel in a spray bottle. I think it's witch hazel and alcohol blend. Is straight rubbing alcohol better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    Witch hazel has water in it which will set off the citric acid.... granted, too much alcohol will set off the citric acid too, but with the oil and the 12 or less spritzes, I haven't seen as much reaction. I think the point of the alcohol is binding without reaction plus rapid evaporation.

I'm actually sitting here pondering making a batch just to give play by play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    i like spritzing them with witch hazel, then pack tightly, then put on baking sheet with waxed paper, spritz lightly again and immediately put into the oven at 170 degrees for about 5 minutes, then turn over and mist again, very lightly and another five minutes in the oven. the fine mist will fizzle up the outside a bit but it will dry up nicely in the oven and make very hard bombs that are ready to handle quickly.

i had a batch of bath bombs once that were a little on the soft side. somewhere i found a recipe that called for glycerine in the mix and while i loved the way they felt in the tub, storing them in a warm and high humidity environment was not a good idea. they stayed together okay, but sometimes morphed shape or got bubbles and blisters. i had the last 20 or so piled in a basket traveling to a show and running late, i hit a bump at a railroad crossing. well, the car took on air, and so did the basket inside the car. needless to say they bathbombs didn't make it, but the rug inside the trunk of my car, after i vacuumed it, was deliciously deodorized and my car smelled like orange vanilla for weeks after. moral of the story, don't add glycerine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited
      0 points
    I have the attention span of a gnat.
    Mix
    Spritz
    Squish
    Bake
    is all I can handle.
  13.   0 points
    Esther you are funny! I think I got it. :) I think too much oils but not enough dry ingredients. :) I was using the same amount of liquid as you, but the dry was 1/4 cup less. I did two batches tonight with your recipe, and they came out of the mold very nicely. Will see tomorrow after work, how firm they are. Thank you for all of your help. I also spritzed my recipe bombs with alcohol, maybe that will assist them in firming up. Goodnight

Good morning,

Confirmed, too much oil in my recipe. They all are set nicely but one batch, that one I added extra oil to. Yay, now I know. The ones I made with your recipe Esther are pretty solid affter 12 hours. Such a relief to know what I have been doing wrong, 100 bombs later. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
      0 points
    I am so glad you've got it worked out! YAY! My bombs are hard enough that they've dropped on the bathroom floor and nothing happened.
  14.   0 points
    ok, well not so sure I want to test that theory out. :) do you think, when I get home tonight, if the one batch is still not firm, could i add alittle more citric acid, mix well, spritz with alcoho and refom? wonder if that would work....
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    If they are crumbly and unset, yeah, try it... Like I've said before, the above recipe I've used for years with good results. Granted, not for sale but as gifts for coworkers and family. And I always make a bunch for me too.

Others make cookies at Christmas, I make bombs :)
  15.   0 points
    The bombs usually smell just as good as the cookies and don't add to the hips! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    Exactly! That's why I love soap making (especially HP) you cook and cook, get the smells and some of the textures...but you don't eat it!
  16.   0 points
    I have a bar it is called Apple Crisp, has ground oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg with an apple pie scent. That soap when it is curing makes my mouth water......

So do you do alot of HP? I am just really curious as to the benefits of this instead of just straight CP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      1 point
    I prefer HP--- the texture is so different from CP, it's very hard, smooth, translucent and almost wax like in it's pure form. The colors don't morph at all (which is been a major frustration for me with CP) and the fragrance stays true. I use FO's that match my favorite perfumes like Hypnotic Poison, Paloma PIcasso, Fracas, Bulgari Black, Lolita Lempicka etc so the frags taking a hit has been also very disapointing in CP. I mean, even upping the amount doesn't change the morph they go through.

And I've poured HP into molds (before I was told it wouldn't work). I think the trick is I never take a water discount and I have it hot as blazes when Is start scoop/pouring. I work quickly. Granted, some my have a little bit of rusticness around the sides...

Here are pics....

I've found that if I let them cool, then pop them in the fridge, they pop out less ragged looking ;)
  17.   0 points
    They are beautiful. I think after the holiday rush, I will give a try at HP. :) Might contact you then for more instructions.
  18.   0 points
    FYI: I reworked the one batch of bombs last night, added more citric acid, spritzed with alcohol and voila, today they are very firm! :) Thank you everyone for all of your help! :)
    • CommentAuthormeadowyck
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
      1 point
    Esther those are very pretty, really like your molds.

I too love HP but I'm with Esther in that I never do a liquid discount. I even add just a little more liquid to keep mine flowing well into the molds.

Blessings,

Jan