Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    Could I please get a definiton on extracts. I notice them being used in the blog recipes recently, and would like to know the difference in say calendula oil vs. the extract. Peepermint EO vs. peppermint extract and so on. As well as the benefits of using extracts.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
      0 points
    This is what I know:
    - EO = essential oils - this is obtained mostly by steam distillation of the plants; it's quite expensive, as it takes a large amount of plants to get the essential oil. As far as I know, they do not count as "oils" in the soap making process, they are like the water in the recipe (I overheard this, so please correct me if I am wrong)
    - infused oils: (e.g. calendula oil): use a carrier oil (like sweet almond oil) and infuse the calendula (or any other plant) in it for a couple of weeks ; stirr, check to see if the oil is rancid, keep it in a dark cool place.
    - herbal extracts are made by using some alcohol (like vodka) with the dried/green plants and create a macerate - if this is the correct word for it (check this link for a tutorial: http://earthnotes.tripod.com/howtoextracts.htm)

Unfortunately, I cannot explain why should you use an extract vs an infused oil. Maybe it's just about the product in which you want to use it (do you want to have some alcohol in it or not).

Hope this helps, at least a bit ;)
    Simona
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
      0 points
    Our calendula oil is an extract. It clearly states this in our catalog description. We do not offer a peppermint extract, only a peppermint essential oil. An essential oil is going to be an undiluted form of peppermint.

Extracts are generally an indication of some type of infusion, whether it be oil, alcohol etc.. All our extracts are oil based.

Steph
  2.   0 points
    Thank you Steph, that is exactly the answer I needed. Extract = infusion of some type.
  3.   0 points
    Revisiting this discussion..... I have been blessed with receiving extracts to "play" with from MMS. However, I have no idea what to do with said extracts. And with the release of Green Tea extract, I am very curious how to use this particular ingredient.

Thanks,

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011 edited
      0 points
    Here's what I have found from a Romanian supplier (about green tea extract - camelia sinensis):

1. in creams and lotions, anti-age serums (2-5%)
    2. face toners (1-2%)
    3. face masks - for a firmer skin (2-3%)
    4. diluted in thermal water or floral water for a delicate cleansing (2-3%)

Hope this helps :) This is on my to-buy list :D
    *** later edit: the percentages refer to their green tea extract ; I am not sure about other vendor's product, but this should give at least an idea :)
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
      0 points
    Since the botanical swap came up, I have some questions on extracts too.
    I received 3 ( yes 3)!! From MMS at the last swap. They are pumpkin seed extract, horsetail grass and comfrey leaves extract. I only make cp soap (right now). Can these be used in my soap? How can I use them???
  4.   0 points
    hanna,

You have the same dilemma I have. Only CP Soap, I do not believe the heat of CP is good for the extracts. Hope I am wrong.

Crystal
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014 edited
      0 points
    Oh! How about a lotion bar? Would they work in there?
  5.   0 points
    Yes Hannah
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014
      0 points
    Hanna
    I believe you could add an extract to a soap if you did a rebatch. I've also used hydrosols when making soap and I felt like they did add something to the finished soap.
    • CommentAuthorcattlecop
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014
      1 point
    I'm new to this and is very interesting to me , I enjoy reading the different items that can be made . I haven't tried to make any but this will be a do in the near future. Thanks for all the comments
  6.   0 points
    I love oils over extracts anyday...just MY 2 cents on it. I like infused oils greatly, to me, they add more moisturizing than an extract made with alcohol can...again, my 2 cents worth :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015
      1 point
    The word extracts can be confusing. Usually we think of alcohol or glycerin based extracts. Extracts are simply infusions of one type or another. The majority of the extracts in our catalog are oil based. (Jewelweed is water based).

I love adding extracts (oil soluble/oil based) to lip balms, lotion bars, lotions and scrubs. I've not personally used them in soap, but I've heard of some people who do.
  7.   0 points
    Thanks for the clarification andee
    • CommentAuthorisoapy
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015
      0 points
    I LOVE using extracts (oil or water based) in making lotions! Since a lotion is around 80-85% water, you can't use very much of an infused oil, especially when part of the other 15-20% is emulsifying wax, stearic acid, etc. When you use a good extract, you only need to use a couple of teaspoons of it, instead of ounces of an infused oil. I can also use more than one extract at a time, as I like using mallow and oat extracts when making a lotion for inflamed skin! :)
  8.   0 points
    I copied this from an above comment ....from andee:

"Our calendula oil is an extract. It clearly states this in our catalog description. We do not offer a peppermint extract, only a peppermint essential oil. An essential oil is going to be an undiluted form of peppermint.

Extracts are generally an indication of some type of infusion, whether it be oil, alcohol etc.. All our extracts are oil based".

Steph

so...I was thinking then, according to this above statement, if extracts are simply infusions of one type or another, and the majority of the extracts in your catalog are oil based (Jewelweed is water based), then does that mean in essense, when I take lavender flowers, and say steep it in hot oil and then let it sit for many weeks, after I make this infusion, I can call the drained liquid and extract if I want? Just wondering, thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015
      0 points
    Shelly,
    You actually only need to take room temperature oil and any dry botanical material you desire, let it sit for 24 hours and then decant. The strength of extract won't become much stronger after than and you run a risk of the botanicals starting to decompose. Yes, this oil material would be an extract.

I hope this helps!
  9.   0 points
    wow...see? I learn something more and more all the time from being here!! Such valuable information indeed!! I have been doing this the long way form sometime now, as I was following online directions from a certain blog I follow...hhhhmmm, your way sounds well, more acurate...Thanks. I just learned something and it sped up my process. Thanks for that andee