Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorRaquel
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2010
      0 points
    Morning everyone,

I was wondering about what exfoliator you crafty people would suggest using? I am making a "Gardener's" cream soap. I will be up front, corn meal to me smells horrible. I will await your wiseness :-)

Raquel
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    What's the recipe? And the FO's?
    • CommentAuthorRaquel
      0 points
    I make a big batch of this when I make it. It takes 4-6 months for optimal soap, that is why the big batch.

27oz stearic acid
    15oz coconut oil
    3oz each castor and olive
    6oz palm
    15oz glycerine

phase 2
    7.5oz potassium hydroxide
    1.2oz s. hydroxide
    39oz water

phase 3
    .9oz stearic acid
    1.2oz glycerine

Day 2 otiphen .4oz

I do not scent this before I package. I am thinking a lavendar, a peppermint and a citrus scented soap

Raquel
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
      0 points
    I don't like cornmeal in a 'wet' soap because it has protein that feeds bacteria. You could try a salt or sugar saturation for scrubbing or by jojoba beads which are pretty. I like the lavender, peppermint, citrus combo.
    • CommentAuthorRaquel
      0 points
    How much salt or sugar would you add? I am using a 6oz container for them. I know that I can only get about 5.5oz in there with the sealing disk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanna-MI
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
      0 points
    It might not be pretty, but what about coffee grounds? Or ground loofah?
    • CommentAuthorRaquel
      0 points
    Oh yeah coffee grounds would help eliminate oders too. I do not mind brown. Thanks for that idea.
  1.   0 points
    pumice, ground. it is great in a soap....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    I like pumice. I also really like ground apricot seed. Sometimes, like with a coffee soap that I use for after gardening, I will use coffee grounds, pumice, and ground apricot. As I write this out, it sounds like a bit of overkill, but I really like the different sizes of each to really get the ground in soil and green stains from weeds off my hands.
    • CommentAuthorRaquel
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
      0 points
    What is funny to me, is I ask this question, get GREAT answers and then wonder why I didn't think of that LOL. Thank you all for the ideas.

Raquel
  2.   0 points
    Sometimes my brain gets so overloded, I can not see what is right in front of me.....So I ask the question, and then the answers appear before my eyes! Love this forum.
  3.   0 points
    When you add salt to a cream soap does it just stay suspended in the cream soap or does it dissolve a bit or have a precipitate of soap form on it? I'm only asking because the second time I tried to thicken liquid soap with salt I just thought I'd chuck salt in without dissolving it in water, and it didn't thicken it and it also a film of soap formed on it, I guess because of the negative charge on the soap salts and the positive sodium (I think?)
  4.   0 points
    I hope somebody can answer your salt question, I have never used a salt in any of my soaps...I was thinking about poppy seeds tho...I did a gardners soap a couple of years ago and I did poppy seeds...it did nothing for any garden smells, but it worked great for being scrubby on the hands...I did a Lemon and Grapefruit Scent...it was like a Citrus Poppy Seed Cake...To date, it is the only rebatch I have EVER done...I am more of a cold process girll myself....I know I know, many of you do hot process and rebatches...I am getting myself closer to doing that....just not yet tho. I figure I will try a hot process this spring sometime. But I do make hot process Liquid Soap....That counts!! he he....anywaay, yes, your thread got me thinking about the only rebatch soap I have ever done...that poppy seed batch.

Yes, I will be watching to see if an answer comes along for the salt
  5.   0 points
    I suppose it doesn't matter either way and would be difficult to see in a cream soap! I think it would still exfoliate. If I ever get the urge to make a cream soap (seems like too much of a palaver really, I could never wait months to use it!) I will try it!