Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    Hello! I have a question on preservative usage in creams. I have experimented making a few different basic creams. I have used liquid germall plus as the preservative and would always just add it to formulation at the end of the process. After it was emulsified, I would just measure it out and place it it in the bowl and mix again one last time. However, I never really felt confident that in doing it like that was the best way to spread the preservative around the formula. Recently I found out about the preservative OptiPhen on your website. And per the website it says

"Optiphen is a clear liquid preservative that can be easily added directly to the formulation during pre- or post-emulsification, at or below 80°C.."

Does this mean it would be okay to add this preservative right into the water before I mix it the oils? Also, what would happen if I added germall plus to the water before mixing with the oils? I am just a little confused:)

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2010
      0 points
    Don't worry about emulsification, worry about the temperature at which you are adding the preservative. That is the best way to get a proper application.

I often add the color, scent and preservative at the same time. A pale color is sufficient to let me know I have done a good job of mixing.
  2.   0 points
    By the time mixing is done, everything seems to be fairly cool at which point the germall plus is normally added. If I added it to the water then mixed with the hot oils, I assume it would probably negatively effect the germall plus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
      0 points
    This is correct. The Germall Plus can be deactivated by the hot temperatures. The lotion or cream is starting to set up at the temperatures that it is added.

I hope this helps!
    • CommentAuthorsandman_max
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011 edited
      0 points
    How do I convert between Optiphen and Germaben II? Or any other preservative for that matter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
      0 points
    Sandman_max, you'll have to go by your recipe to do that. Some preservatives are formulated for products with more than 25% oils and others for less. Some are for totally anhydrous products. If you go to the MMS catalog of preservatives, it gives you the usage rate and what type of formulation it's designed for. I have made notes of this on my bottles so that I know what type of preservative to use and how much.
    • CommentAuthorsandman_max
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011 edited
      0 points
    Ok - that's what I did. But now I have a worse problem. When I was very carefully measuring 1 gr Optiphen into the rest of the ingredients for a facial toner, the tared scale wasn't registering at all (it reads in 0.5 gr increments). I gave the Optiphen bottle a harder shake and then the scale jumped to 3.5 gr. Is my only recourse now to increase the batch size? (And I learned an important lesson! When it matters, measure into a disposable cup, not the whole batch.) Ingredients are aloe vera juice, lavender hydrosol, glycerin and polysorbate 20.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
      1 point
    What percentage of your total formula does this 3.5 g work out to be? If it's within the usage rate, you get a pass. If not, then you probably should consider increasing the batch size or starting over. It may not be necessary, and if you can wait until tomorrow to talk to tech support at MMS, they may be able to give you better instructions. I'm just guessing. A pipette might be a better option of dispensing your tiny amounts of ingredients, too.
  3.   0 points
    No - it's more than double the max %. I'll call Tech Support tomorrow. Somehow, I think they're going to tell me the same thing you just did.
  4.   0 points
    I like using the pipette for measuring small test batches! The cost of the pipette is well worth it to get small amounts accurately added. I buy them in the 100 pack from MMS for a better price. I use the pipette for measuring FO's for test batches too.