Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcatherine
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
      0 points
    I have a deordorant recipe that I would like to use essential oils with but I don't know which ones. I love citrus, but not too fond of earthy patchouly scent. The recipe is as follows for anyone to try.

1/4 c coconut oil
    1/4 c baking soda
    1/4 c cornstarch
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      0 points
    try to blend tea tree and lavender. If you are not pregnant, with high blood pressure or experiencing seizures, you can also add sage EO. These are the ones I am using (oh, I also add rosemary).
    • CommentAuthorcatherine
      0 points
    Thank you so much for your response. I make lavender, sage and tea tree oil soaps but I am not a fan. It's a bit too medicinal for me. Could tea tree blend with any citrus or floral scents?
  1.   0 points
    You can go here; http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php and put in the EO's that you want to use and it will offer you some blend suggestions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    These are said to be antibacterial: tea tree, dalmatian sage, lavender, lemon, marjoram, eucalyptus, palmarosa, rosemary, patchouli, niaouli, lemongrass, clove, peppermint, pine, geranium, cinnamon, tyme, oregano, black pepper, ravensara and corriander. Some of them wouldn't be good for prolonged on the skin contact and you would have to be really careful of having a safe % of oils in it or you may wish you never put it on. Look around and do some resarch on the ones you might want to use and you might want do a patch test at that percentage to be sure it isn't going to break you out or cause an allergy.
  2.   0 points
    Of the over 300 EO's available, there are quite a few that possess bactericidal, microbicidal, and fungicidal properties. I would suggest that you begin by researching what you currently have on hand, and go from there. Then, and as Mesha said, make sure that you do not exceed the skin safe usage rate of your individual and combined EO's. Always, no matter what, you should perform a patch test before using over a larger area, sensitivities are no fun and they are life long. Much luck! Let us know what you end up trying and how you like it!
  3.   0 points
    I was wondering if instead of using essential oil in a deodorant recipe I could use herb infused oil (like lavender, sage and tyme) and get the same antimicrobial properties in the final product?
    I am discovering oil infusions these days, so sorry if it is a stupid question. I am just curious about what people have try and sometime find essential oils very strong smelling. If I could make a product which work equally well without the strong send of some EO it would be fantastic.
    • CommentAuthorcatherine
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
      0 points
    Thanks so much for all your feedback. I haven't done any research, but doesn't pink grapfruit EO sound refreshing? I will probably end up burning my underarms, I'll let you know.
  4.   0 points
    Julie; It is not a stupid question! You certainly can use an herbal infusion, as long as you properly infused the oil (watch to not boil out the properties), however the EO is going to be stronger, so you would use less, and it would work better to use the Eo's, imho. If you do not care for the strength of the scent, simply decrease the amount you use. I would try a 2-2.5% to begin with and see how that works for you. Also, some oils are going to smell stronger than others, so maybe go with a blend. The lavender/sage/thyme that you mentioned is quite a heavy blend, so you would need to blend it lightly, maybe even at a 1.5% rate, or you could try a lavender with a citrus or sage and lemon grass (but that one is kind of strong too, so I would go low on it as well).
    Much luck in whatever you decide to do! let us know how it works out for you!
  5.   0 points
    Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions LavenderLady. I was thinking of herb infused oil when I mentioned that blend (and what I have in my garden). You are right, if I use EO I should used a different blend. Sage and lemongrass sounds particularly interesting.
    So far I have only try cold (i.e. sunny window) type infusion, so my experiments may be slow, but I promise to share what I learn. I just borrowed a few books at the library today for further research.

Julie ^_^

PS: what is imho?
  6.   0 points
    yw, and imho= in my humble opinion :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorping
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011
      0 points
    I agree with the others who caution against sensitivity on the skin. I used this type of deodorant for a long time and liked it very much. I did notice some redness and irritation at times which I think was due to the abrasive nature of the baking soda - so this may make this area even more sensitive to an EO. I am not sure why, but after a few years it stopped working for me and I had to go back to regular deodorant. I am a nurse and I don't think my patients want a sniff of a smelly armpit in addition to their troubles...maybe I'll try going back to it on my days off.
  7.   0 points
    Thanks a lot LavenderLady for the crock pot suggestion. For some reason I always thought that the herbs had to be heated for 2-3 days to get a hot oil infusion. Not wanting to use so much power, I never tried it. 2-3 hours sounds much better. I made a first attempt yesterday with the few herbs I could find in my garden this early in the season. After the first hour in the crock pot at the low setting, the oil started to smell very good and turn light green. After the second hour, the mixture smell a bit stronger (the smell was not as good though) and much more green. It also started bubbling lightly. I turn the crock pot to the keep warm setting and let it sit for another hour. Well... I end up frying my herbs. And fried herbs is really not my kind a smell apparently. I had to put the oil outside because it made me nauseous.

I wanted to make a second attempt at infusing oil today, but it rained all day and I never got the time to pick up my herbs. Tomorrow maybe. This time I may turn the heat to the keep warm setting after the first hour so as not to fry my herbs again. Wish me luck!

Your method also made me dream of what else I could infused in oil ... like coffee maybe. The only soap I have that naturally smell like coffee is the one I add fresh coffee grain to it (strong brew coffee doesn't do it), but it makes the soap extremely exfoliating. This is great for very dirty hands but a little rough on the body. I am thinking of trying coffee infused oil in my soap to see if the smell stays. Anyone has try something else than herbs?
  8.   0 points
    Julie,

I have done coffee in Jojoba Oil, Vanilla Beans in Jojoba Oil, Dried Strawberries in Rice Bran Oil, and other things as well. The coffee and the Vanilla Beans make awesome infusions!

Kathy

P.S. I have splurged and bought a french coffee press to strain the oils as I got tired of the panty hose, cheesecloth and coffee filter methods not straining very nicely. The coffee press allows me to strain a whole batch in about 2 minutes, is cleanable and works so much better!
  9.   1 point
    Thanks Kathy for sharing your oil infusion experience. I am actually in the process of trying coffee in olive oil. I use 1/4 cup of coffee grain into 2 cup of oil. It is my first time with coffee so I hope it will be enough to give a good strong sent to the olive oil for soap making purposes (I usually use 30-40% olive oil). I was thinking of trying vanilla beans too. Nice to know it works. If you don't mind me asking, what quantities do you use with vanilla beans?

Julie ^_^
  10.   1 point
    Julie, I am sorry, I should have been more specific and stated that you must keep on LOW for the processing time. If you have a warm cycle you can do that one for several more hours, but on low, 3-4 is usually the max and if it is a higher temp one (an older model) then less time than that. Bubbling is not good, so keep an eye and turn off when you can cant keep them from bubbling. Live and learn! Good thing it is summer and you can get more easily, well when the rain stops!
  11.   1 point
    I did keep my crop pot on the LOW setting in my first trial, but that was high enough to make the mixture boil. I had a second trial at it yesterday. This time I use a thermometer to keep the temperature in check. As soon as the temperature reach 75 *C I turn it off. I notice that at the KEEP WARM setting, the temperature was still climbing. So this is not an option either. I did the turn on on LOW and off a few time over a three hours period. This time my herbs (well mostly mint) were not fried. YES! I still think that 75-80*C was a little to high. I am afraid I am destroying the plant properties as much as I am infusing them. What do you think? Maybe a 45-50*C range would be better? The infusing part seem to work great, but the smell is quite herby. I guess I was expecting a more fresh peppermint type smell ... Oh well, I guess this is when EO comes in handy. I will keep trying with different herbs as they grow in my garden or I find them.
    Thanks again for all your help LavenderLady.
  12.   2 points
    As long as they dont boil away you are fine. I have a hot crock pot, without a warm setting, so I just remove my lid for a while when it gets to bubbling, then cover it back up later. It will smell "herby" the more concentrated it gets. This is what you want. If it smells light, it is light and the whole purpose is missed. You want to add it to your recipes and have it bring the properties with it, so you need some strength there. It will be smoothed out scent wise when it is added to all your other ingredients. Have fun! Oh, And make sure that you begin the process by starting your herbs on their way. Kind of take your pestle and grind them some, so that the material is oozing out some. I do this as I steep too, just to get as much goodness as I can get out of the herbs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
      1 point
    i want to know more about the dried strawberry infusion! does it have a scent?
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
      1 point
    I'm with others and have a question, if you do an infusion and it has a scent, does it carry over to the soap or does it morph?
  13.   3 points
    Most of the scent is usually lost because it is weak compared to everything else. That is why cocoa butter and coco powder don't smell up your recipes either. But a strong infusion may afford some scent, just dont expect it to be like a FO or an EO, and if you also use one of those, you probably wont smell the infusion at all. If you leave it unscented you will likely get a hint, but still not a strong scent by any means. The infusions are not really done for their scents, just for the properties and sometimes the color.
  14.   1 point
    Good to know LavenderLady. I want to infuse herbs to get their properties, but I was also hoping that coffee or vanilla infused oil could give some sent to my soap. I try vanilla EO 10X in a soap recipe (5 ml per lb of oil), but it did not come trough at all. My recipe also included some real chocolate (which again I had hope would give some smell of my soap, but it is very very light if any), maybe it "ate" the vanilla EO smell. I was hoping that infusing vanilla beans in oil could work better.
  15.   2 points
    Julie, 5 ml is not even close to an ounce, so that is why you didnt get the scent in your soap. To scent I recommend about .8 ounce ppo for a med strength EO, and for a weaker one, 1 ounce ppo plus an anchor like clay or a base note EO. Strong EO's I use at .4 ounce ppo. So I think you definitely under-scented with the vanilla EO. but the chocolate you can forget scenting with, you will loose it to the lye. I have not heard of anyone having any luck with any infusion for scent, unless it was a very mild, hint of a smell in a non-scented soap. Sorry! Since vanilla is so expensive I would save the infusion for your other products, where you might get more of the smell.
    • CommentAuthorKinky Witch
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011 edited
      2 points
    I'd have to agree with LavenderLady. 5mL isn't even close to enough EO to scent your soap. Since vanilla EO is so pricey, I might even swap that out with benzoin EO if you want a less expensive vanilla-like scent. I couldn't tell you how much benzoin to use in CP soap, though. I've only used benzoin in a blend with vanilla absolute and peru balsam and it is wonderful in CP soap, but very pricey. Luckily a little goes a long way with that blend.

As for infusions in CP soap, I doubt you'll get much of a scent, if at all. When I made a batch of coffee soap (used coffee as the water component and threw in some used coffee grounds) it smelled like burned coffee for the first week, then the scent completely disappeared. I was glad the scent dissipated since I was going for an unscented batch anyway. Unless I know I'm using enough EO or the right kind of EO (folded citrus for example), I expect lye to eat up any unsuspecting scents!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011
      2 points
    as for vanilla - i have scented soap with vanilla beans. it's not a very strong scent, but i love it. if you grind up your beans, infuse them in part of your soap oils (take the oil amount into account in your lye calculator!) and then run the infusion through your food processor one more time before adding to your soap, you'll get a light vanilla'ish scent that is not sickly sweet. it blends well with citrus eo's and my all time favorite - rosemary. beware, your soap will be very brown, but if you are planning to blend it, you can swirl it and scent the light part of your soap with your other scent and swirl in the vanilla part. that makes for a very nice effect.
  16.   1 point
    Good to know on infusing vanilla beans in oil. Thanks for your input, chrima!
  17.   1 point
    my grandmother used boric acid in bath powder for deodorant which i find odd being that boric acid i thought is a poison however it is also used as an antiseptic what i do know is that it did not irritate the skin like baking soda does i cannot use shower to shower deodorant powder because it breaks me out like nobody's business. soooo being that BO is caused by bacteria i wonder if there would be something other than baking soda or boric acid of course that would serve the same purpose?
  18.   1 point
    hah! what do you know i found some promising deodorant recipes at the following website http://www.a1-natural-beauty.com/Herbal_Deodorant.html I hope this helps
  19.   1 point
    OOOH.... a new forum member....welcome! <[:)
  20.   1 point
    Revisiting this discussion:

First of all, I am not a deodorant user, I am fortunate enough to not need it. With that said, I have a customer that would like me to develop a deodorant for her. This is the formula she sent me:
    1 c Baking Soda
    1 c Coconut Oil
    1 c Corn Starch
    3 T Beeswax
    60 drops EO blend.

I have not had the time to convert cups to weight yet, just been researching options.

I found this one from another forum:
    1 oz beeswax
    1 oz cocoa butter
    1 oz coconut oil (this is solid)
    1 oz castor oil
    Scent Blend

It is basically like a lotion bar.

Here is my question to the public, which type of deodorant do you think is preferred a powder base or an oil base?

Thanks
  21.   2 points
    I prefer the oil base. You can put it in an old stick deodorant container. It is easier to use. Beeswax is only necessary if your house gets really hot in the summer. The coconut oil can melt in your cabinet. Yes I found this out the hard way.

You need to be cautious with the amount of baking soda. It can be very irritating to the skin. I ended up cutting it back to a tsp and increasing the corn starch. A high amount of EO can also cause skin irritation. Under arms are sensitive. The recipe that I use is 18 drops for the amounts Crystal has listed. I also think the scent is too strong with more than that. Hope this helps.

Michelle
  22.   1 point
    It has helped tremendously. I would replace the Coconut oil with something else. Probably mango or Cupuacu Butter.

Thank you
  23.   2 points
    Oooh mango butter. May have to try that.
  24.   0 points
    I LOVE Adding Vanilla Bean Seeds to my soap!!! I have actually found that if you use enough seeds, it can act like a gentle exfoliate in the soap!! I did a combination Egyptian Musk FO and added Vanilla EO to it and the scraped in a few Thousand Seeds from a Few Vanilla Bean Pods. Turned out GREAT!! U can actually feel the seeds as you glide the soap around your hands and water. I love it so much!!
  25.   0 points
    Hello soapy peeps,

Question that one of you might answer. My deodorant recipe that the customer likes is without baking soda. However she would like it to feel a little drier? I am thinking of adding natrasorb instead of cornstarch. Thoughts from anyone?
  26.   1 point
    Hi Crystal-Dirty Water!!! I was JUST READING UP on this very topic!!! Some people have used benotite clay to help them feel a little more dry and protected. It works great! It really does, you can use this IN PLACE of the Baking Soda all together....BUT, let me say something here. I DID do this, about 6 months ago, and I believe that whoever is reading this, You Crystal, or somebody else, I want it KNOWN that from MY experience, that even tho this worked, it stained my Shirts and Bras!!! YES, it did, and I had ugly grey/green smear marks on the edges of my very pretty bras and the underarms of the shirts. So......I do believe that the NEXT time I make the deodorant, I will start LOW on the addition of the clay, like I might start with a TEASPOON...I was using 2 Tablespoons....ha ha....but, I did use a large recipe. Anyway, I say its just like when you cook a meal. You can always ADD more salt at the dinner table, but you CANT take salt away at the dinner table. And if you OVER SALT our food. then the food become NOT EDIBLE...lol, I used to be a Chef!! So, saying that, I think its BEST to start with a minimum amount of Clay, then add MORE later if needed. My Deodorant months ago, was very dark after I made it, and so ya, Dark Deodorant can equate to Dark Spots on your Clothing. But did it WORK, oh ya it did, and even a little TOO WELL. It left my underarms VERY DRY....so, I am SURE that using LESS clay would not only benefit my clothing, but it would also benefit my Comfort Zone!!!! I HOPE THIS HELPS :-)
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
      1 point
    Crystal,

I don't know if Natrasorb is what you are looking for. Certainly it is light and reduces the greasy feeling but I personally think it feels a little grainy.

I would try either Arrowroot Powder or Dry Flo. I think they have a smoother texture and have a similar affect.

Hope this helps!
  27.   1 point
    Natrasorb, did not work. I believe I have both Arrowroot and dry flo. Back to the drawing board, Thanks Taylor.
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
      1 point
    Good luck!