Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLaura D
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
      0 points
    I have a baby due at the end of November and am interested in making some all-natural products to use on him. Specifically: an alternative to Vaseline, a diaper rash ointment and baby oil or lotion. I couldn't find any recipes specifically for babies on the MMS website or blog and I don't really trust google for stuff like this, so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks for your help,

Laura
  1.   0 points
    Laura,

If you will pop me out an email on Thursday, I will send on my formulations for a few of these products. I am making soap all day tomorrow, and I will forget by Thursday that I said I would help. Can only remember so many things to do. :) Thursday I will be at my "real" job and will have time to look them up for you! :)

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
      4 points
    Congratulations Laura!
    Great idea- I cringe every time I see someone oil a baby up with baby oil- Their poor skin can not breathe through the mineral oil! Also why would you want to use petroleum products on a baby?
    Really babies have better skin then we do so besides a wash with a gentle soap and treatment of the occasional diaper rash They really don't need anything on their skin. The new diapers that let parents leave ones that are wet on them for long periods of time are also their skin enemies.

Soap recipe: 1lb batch given
    Coconut- 10%- 1.6 oz
    Castor-5%- .8oz
    Olive- 85% -13.6
    You can add 1/16th to 1/8th oz per pound of oils -1/8oz = 3/4 teas (1teas= 5ml for reference)
    lye 2.1 oz per pound or 60 gms
    distilled water 6 oz per pound

For powder use corn starch or arrow root powder available through MMS http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Additives.html#ArrowrootPowder You can lightly scent it
    Sorry- I don't make lotions so I would ask MMS which of their premade bases would be good for what you are wanting-http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Moisturizers.html
    Good luck :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLori
      0 points
    Thanks Mesha!
    I have used a similar but more complicated soap recipe before and it was wonderful for my kids. I am going to try a simpler recipe, more like yours, to make it easier and less expensive than my first (which contained exotic oils and several herbs, extracts, etc.)

After bath I use strait coconut oil or a mixture of that with olive oil, with good results. sometimes I throw in some butters or sweet almond or whatever suits my fancy at the time. my baby loves helping oil himself. :)

I have a diaper ointment from Burt's Bees that I like, but the scent is a bit too strong for my preference. And too expensive.
    The ingredients look fairly simple: Sweet almond oil, zinc oxide, beeswax, lavandula hybrida (lavandin)oil, jojoba seed oil, anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower oil, lavender oil, calendula oil, sunflower seed oil, tocopherol, rosemary leaf extract, soybean oil, canola oil. This is another one I'd like to reformulate for myself to make it simpler(fewer ingredients) and cheaper, Though I have no idea on percentages and amounts of each ingredient listed. some of the oils must be essential oils, given the strong scent of the ointment, but it doesn't say which ones. not very helpful. I love how it helps protect and heal sore bottoms and rashes.

Can someone tell me the exact benefit of zinc oxide in a bottom ointment? I imagine its not for its sun-blocking properties :P Can it be replaced with corn starch or arrowroot powder? Is lanolin a good additive?

I have a lot of young mothers in my family and social circle, so ideas and tips for more homemade baby/mommy items would be super cool.

I love this forum! Sorry I'm so long-winded sometimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlaehshea
      5 points
    Baby Ointment Cream
    70% shea butter,( coconut oil, cocoa butter)
    15% carrier oil,( grapeseed, jojoba, soja, sweet almond, avocado)
    10% beeswax
    2% zinc oxide
    1% allantoin
    1% tea tree oil
    1% cornstarch
    If I want the cream a little harder, I increase the beewax and reduce the oils. Melt butter, oil, beeswax. Add remaining ingredients.
  2.   2 points
    Congratulation Laura!

I have a butt/nipple/overall massage balm that I made for my daughter, but I search the whole house and cannot find the recipe. I know there was a lot of aloe butter (aloe infused in coconut oil, MMS carries it), some argan oil, allantoin and probably some vitamin E. It also contain a few drop of lavender EO, like 2 drop per 30 ml (chamomile EO is supposed to be very good too, but I did not own it at the time). If I ever find the recipe, I will send it to you.
    Best thing for butt rash is corn starch as mentioned above. You can find it for cheap at your local grocery store and store it in a powder shaker or spice jar for easy use. Like many, I am not a big fan of petroleum gelly, except maybe for the first few days of your baby's life where his first few pooh will be dark and sticky and the application of petroleum gelly after each diaper change will help in cleaning the next one.
    Here a recipe page you may want to check out. I haven't try any of their recipe yet, but they have an easy recipe for a non-petroleum baby gelly that I want to try some day.
    http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/Natural_Mother_and_Baby_recipes_s/429.htm

My son had such bad eczema when he was a few months old that we stop using any type of soap on him. We are doing the same with my daughter. Kids don't sweat like we do. Once they have soak in the tub or shower and wash with a face cloth, we find there is no need for soap. This is only a personal preference. Ironically I do make baby soap. I do not use any coconut or kernel palm oil in this soap which I want very mildly cleansing. I like it for my face and others have use it on their kids and like it.

40% beef tallow (you could use palm oil if you want)
    35% olive oil
    10% shea butter
    10% sweet almond oil
    5% castor beans oil (for the bubbles)
    I use half and half water and goat milk for liquid; 8% superfat; and no additive.

Good luck as a new mom and let us know what work best (and what doesn't)!

Julie ^_^
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    Here are some page that might be helpful
    http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm
    http://baby.about.com/od/healthandsafety/tp/diaper_rash_cream.htm

This page http://www.drugs.com/mtm/desitin-creamy-diaper-rash-ointment-topical.html
    says that "Zinc oxide topical (for the skin) is used to treat diaper rash, minor burns, severely chapped skin, or other minor skin irritations." So I am guessing that the zinc is optional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011
      3 points
    hi laura - congrats! in a recent swap i sent in my baby bottom bars - which are basically lotion bars with zinc oxide in them. i used equal quantities of beeswax, lanolin and liquid oil (you could use olive or jojoba or any oil you like) then per cup of this melted mixture, i added one tbsp of zinc oxide, 1 tbsp of chamomile extract (MMS) and 30 drops of lavender essential oil. you could also add some optional vitamin E. stir up well, actually with the zinc oxide you might wanna consider stick blending to ensure there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth. then pour into silicone muffin molds and let set.
    • CommentAuthorLaura D
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
      0 points
    Thanks everyone, that was tons of good info. I can't wait to try it out.
    • CommentAuthordiane21
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012
      0 points
    Hello guys,

What do you think about Kiddicare Staging? Have you ever used Kiddicare? What was your experience? Can you please share with me?

Thank you!
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012
      0 points
    Thanks everyone. We have several baby showers coming up for friends of my daughter and I am going to make a couple of the products for them to try out.
    • CommentAuthorWiredSoap
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016 edited
      0 points
    I would recommend, 4 parts coconut oil, 2 part argan oil, 3 parts aloe vera, and 1 part lavander oil. One thing is very important, and that is to only use pure products and especially the argan oil. Many people get side effects from products infused with argan oil, but that is only from the chemicals added. Pure Argan oil never gives side effects to anyone, and it is the key ingredient in this mixture. This is a company I respect and would feel safe trusting a child's health with... http://essenceofargan.com/