Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   1 point
    With the holidays coming up, I was thinking of trying to make bath salt this year in addition of my soaps for my family gifts. I have been browsing the web for some starter recipes and I have tried a basic one last night:
    - 3 parts epsom salt
    - 2 parts sea salt
    - 1 part dendritic salt

I made about a cup and a half of salt with 6 drops of sandalwood FO and one drop of eucalyptus EO and a bit of green food coloring for fun.
    I use about 1/2 cup of salt in the bath. My bath was very relaxing and I sleep like a baby ... until 1 am when the real baby woke me up!
    I did find the bath a little drying though, so I was thinking of adding some avocado oil and/or glycerin for my next trial. Or maybe I use too much salt?

I found lots of recipes on the web, but not too many mention about usage rate. Which made me wonder how much EO or FO to add to bath salt. If 1/2 cup is a good amount (I have a normal size metal bath) then I liked the strength of the fragrance, but if double or half this amount is the usual rate for a relaxing bath, then I need to adjust the scent.

My second question is about adding powdered milk. I notice that my store carries instant and non-instant powdered milk. Which one is the right one to add to bath salt (and CP/HP soap if anyone knows)? In soap, I am guessing that full milk is more desirable than skim milk, but in bath salt is it the same?

Thanks for your help!

Julie ^_^
    • CommentAuthorrattissia
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011 edited
      0 points
    Just a note here with your question of salts. I usually use the rock salt mixed with epsom salt, sea salt and a splash of baking soda. I'd have to look at my recipie but the rock salt makes up probally 80% of the mix. If you look at most bath salts out there, even "luxury" ones they are mostly the large bath salt.

If you are finding your mixture too drying just use a little less. You dont have to use a ton in the tub to get nice benefits. When I use the ones I make I only use about 1-2 tablespoons. This is a good website as to why your bath salts are giving you that nice feeling: http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4671926_bath-salts-work.html If it's the scent you're going after increase the scent amount but decrease the amount used per tub. I hope that makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEsther
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
      1 point
    Things you can add---
    Baking soda
    Natrasorb with your FO and oil
    Oil or cocobutter (go light)
    Citric acid for fizz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
      0 points
    I use jojoba, avocado or sunflower oil in my bath salts too. I also use corn starch. Usage rates for your finished products is a difficult thing to advise, mostly because there's a lot to consider - how big is your tub, how concentrated do you want your salts, etc. Less is more, I think, in this case. If you use an oil with your salts, you might want to consider also using a polysorbate. It's not necessary, just something to consider. I'd cut the dendritic use down too, as the sodium can be really drying, and you've got lots of sodium with the sea salts.
  2.   0 points
    Wow! Thanks for all the information. I like having feedback from people. It always gives me new directions to explore. Like in this case what is the composition of my salts.
    I will try to make some addition to my next bath salt recipe like oil, polysorbate and baking soda and reduce the sodium. I let you know how it goes.

Julie ^_^