Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited
      0 points
    I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across this soapmaking find at the grocery store. It was on the aisle with the breakfast cereals with the boxes of other alternative unrefrigerated milks. Can't wait until this holiday mess is over with so I can make soap with it!

Hope the vanilla flavoring doesn't give me fits. Let you know how it goes.
    Maybe some of you will also be able to find it.
    • CommentAuthorgrammadawn
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011
      0 points
    Details when you use it, ok? Anxious to hear!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011
      0 points
    You bet!!! Gonna be Jan before I have time though.
  1.   0 points
    Ooohh, fun! Definitely give us a report. Cece used hemp milk in one of her swap recipes that she made herself, I'd like to know if the packaged stuff works as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012 edited
      3 points
    Well I made it!!!
    Used the hemp milk at 50% since I forgot to freeze it first and was worried about it getting too hot or accelerating bcse of the extra sugars in it. Used hemp oil and a touch of avocado oil with it too then scented it lightly with Nag Champa from AT. Best dang soap I have made yet!!!!!
    Soaped with not a bit of trouble. It didn't even move as fast as I had expected it would. Fast forward to a couple days latter when I take the test bar for a spin and OMG! was I ever proud of myself :) This soap turned out so silky and creamy feeling that I couldn't believe it. I think it is the best I have used yet! Definitely a keeper!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1827365219630&set=a.1534540939206.47407.1705309478&type=3
  2.   0 points
    Fantastic Mesha!
    So do you think the hemp made this soap so silky or just the fact that you added milk?
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012
      1 point
    Looks good Mesha!! My customers are crazy over our Hemp Milk soaps that we make. I use Hemp Oil as well in the recipe. I believe it is the Hemp Milk that makes all the difference personally, because you get a milk soap with the properties of the Hemp Oil as well!! Glad you don't have trouble with the added sugars in the milk. I have the soy milk maker that they've talked about on the blog and I Love it. Best investment I've made for soap making, and making almond milk etc for cooking in a long time!!
  3.   0 points
    Looks wonderful!
  4.   0 points
    Well, I went grocery shopping tonight and guess what I say on the shelves of the health food section? ... Hemp milk! After all your good comments, I could not help but trying it in a soap recipe. I just poured it in the mold and can't wait to see how it turns out. It is a cold process, so I know I will have to wait for a month before I try it.
    Cece, have you ever try your hemp milk soap with hot process? I am only a beginner at HP, but I tried once with goat milk (half/half method) and it turned out so awful that I had to trow it out (burn caramel smell does not agree with my nose). I am very curious if hemp milk is as sensitive to heat.
    • CommentAuthorCece
      0 points
    Julie, I have only made hemp milk soap as a CP soap. I've not tried it as Hp and truthfully, probably will continue with CP as it works so well for me. I watch my milk soaps carefully since the do get hot, and I uncover them once I find they are really heating up so that I don't get a volcano reaction. I would venture to bet you will love the hemp milk soap you just made!
    • CommentAuthorBeckaBoo
      0 points
    Um, can I add one to my order? :) Sounds luscious and looks beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
      0 points
    I'm not sure Julie but I think the bit of Avocado oil I used made a difference or possibly the type of Hemp milk since right now it seems even more creamy then the the one's of Cece's I have tried. I sure hope it doesn't loose the extreme creaminess as it cures-knock on wood!
    Like Cece I did this CP since HP has not been as easy for me to do. I try to freeze my milks ahead of time but since I forgot with this one the lye was mixed in with it in an ice bath. It got way down below 90* before I added it to the oils since my partner was doing it and got distracted while leaving it sit in the ice bath. Maybe that made a difference. I compensated for the very cool temp of the milk/lye by using a warmer temp on my oils- about 130*. Poured it in one of my cheap dollar store drawer liners and I just leave them set out on the counter uncovered and uninsulated to set up.
    I test mine out and use them a couple days latter. It only takes that long to complete 99% of the saponification and the rest of the cure time is only to get the excess water out so the bar will last longer- someone correct me if I am wrong. Since I make soap the length of time it lasts is not an issue to me.

Sure BeckaBoo :) I'll email you about it.

http://www.dollartree.com/school-office-supplies/Storage-Organization-Filing/assorted-drawer-organizers/291c437c437p174772/index.pro
    I have taken to using the large size of these for a loaf mold since they are perfect for a 2lb loaf. Sliced they come out 2 1/4" deep and they taper on the sides from 3 1/2" down to 3". The middle size makes a good 20 oz test batch and the little one would be good for 2 guest size trail bars.
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012
      0 points
    Mesha, did you use all Hemp Milk and no water? I've usually used only the 1/2 method which is 1/2 water and 1/2 hemp milk. 100% Hemp Milk Probably would make a more creamy soap, and I agree that avocado oil is very nice. Often I do use it in my recipes. I know that 100% goat's milk is more creamy that the 1/2 method also. Interested in getting this all clarified. Either way, hemp milk is great in soap!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012 edited
      0 points
    I used half water and half hemp milk. Recipe also had a bit of palm in it to. Possibly the sugars in it contributed-idk Using it last night it seemed a tiny bit less creamy so maybe it was the fact it was not cured much but it still was an epic soap. Guess time will tell but I sure hope it doesn't change.
    • CommentAuthorCece
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012
      0 points
    Sorry I troubled you to respond as when I re-read I realized you used the 1/2 method also. When I make it using the soy milk maker I probably could use more hemp seeds to make it richer, but it seems pretty rich milk. The store milk has added things besides sugar also, don't know if they contribute or not. Some recipes are more creamy than others also. Important thing is that you love what you made. Great job and outcome!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012
      0 points
    Bah! No problem Cece :)
    I love that you are interested in what I did.
    I probably would have used 100% if I had remembered to freeeze the milk but with the extra sugar and unknown ingredient I was afraid to risk it. I did add the lye to the milk since I didn't even think use a more concentrated lye solution. Geez did it stink tooo!!!! ROFL
  5.   0 points
    I use the half and half method too, but I mix the lye with the water, add to the oil, then added the hemp milk at light trace. I found non flavour hemp milk. I know sugar is supposed to had more bubbles, but I did not want the flavour to interfere with the sent.
    Do you think I could freeze the hemp milk until I make another soap batch? It says it only last for 7-10 days in the fridge and I would not want to waist it. And when you are use to cow or goat milk, non flavour hemp milk taste very herby.
    • CommentAuthorrattissia
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012
      1 point
    I think if people have success with it turning out fine after freezing the milk for a little bit of time that it wouldnt matter if you froze it and store it longer. Once frozen the chemical change doesnt go any further then what it is when it first freezes. However, if you do plan on freezing it for a really long time and you get freezer burn on it that might change it slightly in that your freezer has dehydrated some of the original water level in the ice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012
      0 points
    Mine was Vanilla flavor but the scent did not apear to come through. I froze what I didn't use of mine figuring it should be fine since other milks are often frozen.
    You'll have to post pics of yours too plse!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJulie Marcil
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012 edited
      1 point
    Here's a picture of my hemp milk soap. It is scented with a mix of patchouli EO, vanilla cream FO (the non browning one from MMS) and sandslwood FO. I might up the FO a little next time, but the smell is wonderful. I did not add any color to it since it was my first trial, but I was thinking of trying some kind of swirl with activated charcoal next time if I manage to get some.

6.   0 points
    Oh, and I was asking for the impact on freezing the milk since I remember when I was younger my parents use to buy goat milk from a nearby farm and freeze what we would not use right away. The milk did not taste bad after, but it separated. Maybe it was because it was not homogenized to begin with but raw milk. And I know hem milk is not animal milk, but I was wondering if it would do the same.
    I haven't had time to try it with HP yet. I just started back to work full time and my soaping and experimenting time has shorten quite a bit. I will post a comment when I do try it though.

Julie ^_^
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
      0 points
    I'll let you know since I had to freeze my left overs. I plan to use it again soon so I sure hope it wasn't a mistake.

You scent combination sounds heavenly! What an unusual combo!
    I probably shouldn't havve colored mine since it was my first time but I planned the colors so that if they were effected they should still look decent.
    • CommentAuthorBeckaBoo
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012
      0 points
    I love your hemp milk soap, Mesha! Couldn't resist temptation, so I used it already lol. It really IS an epic soap, so creamy and smooth! I love the scent, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012
      0 points
    Thanks Becka :D
    It is My new favorite recipe too! I really lucked out with that one-lol I plan to make several more batches with that recipe over next month or so :)
    The scent is Nag Champa from Aroma Tyme. I was hoping for a real Nag Champa scent but this one is way to flowery. It is very pretty though. Strangely Hubby bought me a huge candle from Legandary candles at the Renfest years ago and it smells exactly like this :) They probably use the same oil-lol
    • CommentAuthorBeckaBoo
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
      0 points
    I agree, it is way more flowery than what I think of Nag Champa, but I like it a lot! I would totally buy that soap in other scents, too! ;)

Ooo..I need to go Renfest this year! I love those. :)
  7.   0 points
    I was feeling experimenting today, so I finally decided to try a hemp milk soap HP using half and half method.
    Great result on this first trial!
    Here's a few pictures.

I got busy, so I left the soap for an extra hour in the oven (turned off) and the soap was starting to cool down in my pot. That is why you see a white crust on top. Once the crust off it was a little thicker (and cooler) than my last batch of HP, but workable. I am still not very good at incorporating colour uniformly to HP, but I kind of like the marble effect.

Now I wonder if hemp milk would work in liquid soap ...

Julie ^_^
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012
      1 point
    Your HP looks like mine- :)

I am just crazy about the hemp milk and oil combo! I have since made 2 more. A test batch of Black Raspberry Vanilla and a batch of April Fresh Downy. Hoping to get the Nag Champa FO I recently got made up this week in it. I am real excited about it since I have finally found one that is true to what Nag Champa smells like. Fingers crossed that it doesn't morph bcse I think I might cry if it does. This is the 4th or 5th one I
    have tried :(

•  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012
      0 points
    Duh me!
    I told you I got the Nag Champa from Aroma Tyme but it was Aroma Haven.
    • CommentAuthorBeckaBoo
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012
      0 points
    All of those soaps look lovely! I also like the marble effect in the hot process soap! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited
      3 points
    You never know what you will find in some of those factory outlet stores like Ross, Marshall's and TJ Max.
    Look what I lucked into for only $5.99 a lb at Marshall's today :)

I can't wait to try it out!