Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
      0 points
    Hi Everyone, and happy new 2012!

I have a question I would like to ask you regarding preserving floral waters. Have you ever done it? I have just bought some floral waters (bulk size) and they do not seem to be preserved in any way (at least the seller does not say anything about this), so I am planning to use some preservative in order to be able to store them on the balcony (I live in a flat, and my fridge capacity is 100% right now).

I have bought a Preservative containing the following: Benzyl Alcohol, Salicylic Acid, Glycerine, Sorbic Acid. Do you believe it would be wise to use it at 0.5%? I would use at this rate because I only have 20 ml left, and 4 litres of floral water :D. Any thoughts? The shelf life of the floral water is 6-9 months, and they do not specify whether I should store them room temp, a bit lower or in the fridge ...

thanks@!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
      0 points
    http://www.aromantic.co.uk/buy-preservative-eco-uk.htm - this is the preservative's description, I forgot to add it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
      0 points
    Or should I opt for Germall Plus? Are there any issues with this preservative (e.g. not to be used on children except for rinse off products?)
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
      0 points
    I suspect the floral waters are already preserved.
    Please check before adding additional preservatives.

Tina
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
      1 point
    I have checked, here is the answer I have received (see below). Hm... I would NOT use alcohol to preserve them (even though I have some high proof grain alcohol in house), Phenoxyethanol - I do not have enough of it ... I would choose Germall Plus at 0.5%... WOULD IT WORK?

O, I just remembered, I have some Microkill COS (INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Chlorphenesin ). Which one should I use, considering the fact that I would like to use the floral water in body sprays? (I have read somewhere that I should not use Germall Plus for products intended to be aerosolized, but I am not sure if a body mist would fall in the same category or not :) )
    ----------------------

Hiya,

We do not preserve our floral waters, the floral water will last as stated as long as it is stored in a cool dry place. We pass the floral waters through a filtration and water filtration process before bottling, this kills any bacteria in the water without adding any chemicals and ensures purity and shelf life.

If you want to add a preservative add alcohol (vodka will work) at about 5% or you can use some phenoxyethanol, but obviously this will no longer be pure. (Phenoxyethanol will be available to buy from us online next week).
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
      1 point
    The alcohol will not work. This is not sufficient to preserve a floral
    water.
    I would suggest Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate. You will need
    to get technical information on both items and use accordingly.

Tina
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      1 point
    Hi Tina,

Thanks for your comment! Now all I need to do is to find a retailer in EU that sells Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
      1 point
    Back on this thread. I have managed to get both Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate, but I am a bit puzzled:

1. PS works better in an acidic environment. Do I have to adjust the pH of the floral water before adding it to 0.2%?
    2. suggested rate for sodium benzoate is 1%. Do you know if this is correct?

I am planning to start measuring and using the two this evening. So, any thoughts or instructions would be appreciated!

and happy Easter for all those who celebrate it!!
  1.   0 points
    I was wondering if this Floral Water is the same thing as making a tea with say, lavender, and letting it soak good and long. Making it super rich in Lavender Extract. Is this Lavender Extract the same thing as Floral Water? I mean, Floral...well Lavender, I use the Flowers, and water....I use Distilled Water...So, that is what I am wondering then...is my Lavender Extract, is this the same as a Floral Water?
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015
      1 point
    No. These two products are very different. Floral waters or what we also call hydrosols are the remnants from distillation to get the
    essential oil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015
      1 point
    To be more specific, it's the steam from the tea condensed back into liquid (with the oils scooped off). To give you a clearer picture, if fermented corn was your lavender, moonshine would be your lavender hydrosol.