Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    Ok, So today I was trying to discuss a possible sales agreement with a woman who owns a local whole foods store for my lip balms. She asks me, "are your products non-GMO" ....maybe I'm ignorant but to me that question almost made me laugh... I make lips balms and lotions, really? I need to know if my oils are non-GMO? -- regardless of how rediculious I might find this to be it still raises the question, how do you know? how do you find out? There is no information on the MSDS about that sort of thing so how on earth would I come up with an answer for her....?

Anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
      0 points
    ok, that is a good question :-)

most of the people around here are mostly concerned about GM soy products, oil and wax included. I have seen this as a selling points on some providers, specifying that their soy wax is not GM. But, as far as I am concerned, I would not know if a specific product is GM or not, maybe we should be tracking the product to its original provider and ask them if they are or not :)

Just curious, is there a way to test this into a lab, whether a lip balm has any GMOs in it? ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    Silly question-a GMO is what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      1 point
    genetically modified organisms
    •  
      CommentAuthordoxie
      0 points
    Actually I think thats a GREAT question...one I hadn't thought of wondering about beauty products just because I hadn't thought of it...but thats something I wish I could stay far away from (although it's almost impossible to totally avoid it these days) so would want to make sure what I bought in a health food type store was for sure gmo free at the very least. Think I'm going to have to check into what I make, and anything that I think may be made from a gmo product, try and find out if it is or not, cause I certainly don't want to use it in my stuff if it is. Sadly not sure that I'll be able to find out about the fo's.

Give me God made products not man changed products (GMO's) every time! :)
  2.   1 point
    See yea, I could understand the soy products because about 80 percent of soybeans are GM... but I only use soy in a few of my body butters... and only as a biproduct of the calendual...

I was trying to work out a deal with her for some of my lip balms, which have no soy at all.... I wanted to tell her no but now days you never know... but i cant imagine how you could hounestly know that for certian without growing the plant yourself

I personally dont like the idea of GM foods... but does it really matter all that much for lotion?
    •  
      CommentAuthordoxie
      0 points
    Well actually your skin is your biggest organ, so yeah it would matter...cause no matter how it gets into your body, through your mouth, or your skin it may not be the best thing for you. It is a hard thing to know now anyway, cause gmo plants can cross with non gmo plants, and make the non ones gmo...so your guess is as good as mine there. I guess we can only try to keep them out...and pray God helps take care of the rest. If you can't find out for sure yours isn't...then I guess explaining to her that as far as you KNOW it is, but you can't make that claim because you can't be 100% positive it is. Hope you get the contract! :)
  3.   1 point
    I would just like to say maybe I'm comming accross as frustrated here but I have gone to great length to develop all natural self perserving nurtriant rich products.... and now I find myself questioning myself even further... All that and it's still not good enough because I can't tell you the name of the farmer in random middle america who grew the plant that became my oil..... really?

I wouldn't be frustrated about it though if I didnt care..
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
      2 points
    I asked Tina what she had to say and she told me this.

All of our oils are non-GMO. For some people they have channel vision. As long as she is happy I guess it doesn't really matter. There are a lot of people who are afraid of various components in the fear-mongering media. GMO takes just one of the questions you will be asked.

Tina

I hope her answer helps you and gives you a little relief.
  4.   2 points
    EXCELLENT!!! WONDERFUL!! Just one more reason I love you guys. ....my products are now offically non-GMO! ...lol...
    •  
      CommentAuthordoxie
      0 points
    I totally understand your frustration...I hadn't even thought of the gmo problem with certain oils. I hope you don't think I feel you don't make good product, I was just trying to help with what I've learned about gmo's....and the fact that our skin lets in a LOT of stuff, good and bad so gmo's would be bad for it too not just internally. There may not be anything we can do about some things, but I'm just saying I understand her asking, even if it is a hard question to answer. A lot of people don't want gmo's...and if she is trying to stock a store with no gmo's, she has to ask, even if it doesn't make things easy for us.

Sorry if I came across as not understanding or against you and your product...I really didn't mean to. :(
    •  
      CommentAuthordoxie
      0 points
    Yeah!! That is really GOOD news! :)
  5.   1 point
    Oh no Doxie, most certianly not. It wasnt directed towards you... just explaining myself... when I went back and read what i'd written I seemed to come across like I was all... who care about GMO... and I just wanted to clarify I most certianly do... it was just somthing that haddent even dawned on me before today when she asked and I was left stammering and the best I could come up with off the cuff was, "Well I can check the MSDS" ....but then I did and there was no mention of GMO information.. which in the back of my mind I really knew there wasnt going to be because I tend to read the MSDS for other reasons and never recalled seeing GMO information befor... but now that we know MMS uses non GMO oils then no worries.
  6.   2 points
    If we where on facebook right now I'd so quadrupil "Like" you right now Andee... lol ...and tell Tina I said Thanks so much!!
  7.   1 point
    This is the reason I do not use soybean in any of my products. I started out with soybean because it is easily located when I run out and inexpensive. Then I read and talked to local farmers, my point was not so much that it was GMO, but that the Larger corporate farmers that raise a specific brand of a GMO seed, next to the small farmer, the GMO seed crosses with small farmers heirloom seed, and the small farmer has to plow his field under because by law he can not sell that soybean. Even though it was the choice of nature to cross fertilize over the ditch or the fence.... now little farmer has lost his crop, his income and possibly his farm. Just my two cents, but I live in a farming community.....

I am very happy to know that MMs's oils are GMO free. :)

Crystal
    •  
      CommentAuthordoxie
      0 points
    I live in a farming community too, and it breaks my heard reading all the stories about farmers loosing their crop and even their home cause of the gmo crossover. I know how much I love living on our farm, and would hate to loose it for some stupid reason like that (ok for any reason...but thats one of the dumbest I've heard of I think.) The Judges who ruled for that "big" company should loose everything themselves...then they would know what it feels like. :(

I'm very thankful to know MMS, the company I chose to buy as much of my stuff from as possible is GMO free too!! Makes me extra glad I landed here in my searching for soap making products. :-))
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    It's too bad that these small farmers don't have the same deep pockets that Monsanto does and make them pay for contaminating their heirloom crops! It's a travesty of farming, and I try to support local, small farms as much as I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthordoxie
      0 points
    I totally agree AnaBanana!! :)
    • CommentAuthormoirakris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012
      1 point
    well I know this is an older post, but I just became a member of the forum and wanted to add a comment. Certified organic products cannot intentionally include any GMO ingredients. Say you wanted to add some herbs or milk etc into a product and wanted to be positive it didn't have GM ingredients than that is one way to know.

Current USDA regulations:
    *Prohibit the use of chemical fertilizers, various synthetic substances, irradiation, sewage sludge, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in organic production.

*Prohibit antibiotic and synthetic hormone use in organic meat and poultry.

*Require 100% organic feed for organic livestock.

*When the product is labeled “100% organic,” “organic,” or just “made with organic ingredients,” then even the non-organic ingredients cannot be produced from GMOs. For example, products labeled as “made with organic ingredients” only require 70% of the ingredients to be organic, but 100% must be non-GMO.