Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgrammadawn
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
      1 point
    I can see this has been discussed in the past but very briefly. I had been asked to sell some of the product I make in a local coffee shop, so I thought, why not? Well, I started thinking about liability. I don't know why, but I did. So I pulled my stuff from the coffee shop and started looking into insurance. $1,500 a year. Really! I know if I joined the HSMG for $500, it would cover insurance but I don't even know if I'd sell $500 a year!! After I pulled my lotion and soap from the shop, I've had a couple people ask if I would make them some more lotion if they wanted some and I said I would, cuz it's fun. I know they will want to pay me...I'd love to pursue this, but this issue puts a halt to any dream of a little side business, or sharing my "creations"............Are most of you just doing this for yourselves and gift giving? Are you making enough product to warrant the insurance cost? I'm disappointed and discouraged. Just curious what others have done, or decided. Could really use some feedback. Thanks!
    Dawn
  1.   0 points
    I've wondered the same thing!
    I've also wondered if you "barter" with other people, does that count as selling?
    Also, so $500 a year for the HSMG membership, seems pricey, but are there other benefits? I saw on their site you can get discounts from certain suppliers...
  2.   1 point
    You can check into your homeowners policy, some company can add a rider to protect you. I went through my local agent and it was almost 800.00. After 6 years of making soap, my second retail client, ad growing very steadily, I purchased the insurance from HSMG. Best price for our industry from what I have found that is. I feel it is one of those stepping stones I needed to take to becoming a "fulltime" soap maker.

I do not feel bartering falls under sales, it is a trade, the reason our government frowns upon it, not trackable.

Crystal
      1 point
    It shouldn't be this difficult :(
    There are other benefits........but I think mostly on the marketing end. I'm not ready for that. I work full-time. Have a busy family. I don't know if I could utilize all that would make it worth the $500. Besides, my husband would probably have a panic attack!
      1 point
    So if people ask me to make some and I say sure...........I DON'T ask for compensation but some insist on paying me something. That's how this whole thing evolved into the coffe shop asking me to put my stuff out. I would like to do this when I retire as a way to have extra income and doing something I love to do, but that doesn't equal enough people liking the products enough for me to make money at it, does it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    You can check with RLI - I don't know what other name they go by, but if you Google RLI insurance, you'll find it easily. They will insure your soaps, not sure about lotions but I think that's also part of the deal, for up to $3000 in sales per year. The rates vary because of state laws, but they are very affordable. Less than HSMG's $500. If your sales are over that $3000 threshold, or maybe it's $5000? anyway, if they're over that, then you'll be better off with HSMG or your homeowner's insurance.
      0 points
    I really appreciate your comments Crystal, Mollie, and Ana. I will check the things you've mentioned and if you think of anything else I should be thinking about, let me know; or if anyone has any other thoughts as well.
    Dawn
  3.   0 points
    I have liabilty for my landscaping business, and that company still wanted almost $800 to add the handmade cosmetics rider, and it had lots of language I didn't like, so I went with HSMG.
  4.   0 points
    grammadawn, you are correct but please let me include product safety in your liability column: I sense trouble: Beware the troublemaker: he knows no covenant of good faith and will discredit your persona (who you are) and what you do to maintain his control of anything and superiority of everything.

Where these things begin is: "I'm going to challenge you on this" followed by attacks and discredation of your persona (who you are and what/how you do); anything, really...just to make trouble because they are in the business of making trouble.

(both of the following parties are presently deceased before 2012)
    This is an excerpt from forty years ago in legal lawsuit paperwork filed in Illinois by a troublemaker in the "photography" business.
    ........bad news, people!....I just burned my hand shaking a hot bottle of already hot soap and lye which broke when I slammed (put) it down from my educational soap making kit because it didn't have complete safety instructions attached to each part of the kit.....

It will wake you up in anger to realise how devastated the soapmaker was to temporarily lose the case until a completely revised safety label and instructions were included in each subsequent kit made and sold, and this set the stage for a
    national safety awareness campaign about chemicals in the "home products industry." This one made everybody angry inclusive of the troublemaker who lost all monetary compensation. He wanted a settlement of money ($500,000); and nothing about a good ending for consumers was in his mind's eye.

The playboy company ceased selling the kit for the photographer---both families are still in bloody business of providing trouble to all
    in their troubled coiterie....BEWARE.
  5.   0 points
    Pardon me: I forgot to mention that the soapmaker was TARGETED by the family of troublemakers beacuse the soapmakers had money from their own businesses and not the business of making trouble.
  6.   0 points
    Third time's a charmer-

What are "home products (and services)" doing in this column?
    (soap, food, spice and other products and service products like consultation and design).
    Stand-alone liability insurance may be better for you in several regards under this definition.
    If you do something more than sell soap then you probably do do home products.
    Have a Truthful Elaboration discussion with your agency manager about what you do do for an interesting
    solution to more expensive liability insurance.
  7.   0 points
    Thanks Ana! I've been in touch with RLI. Very helpful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2012
      0 points
    Dawn, you're very welcome!
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015 edited
      0 points
    I am looking into RLI, but I also heard about Handmade Artisans, the company is Cincinnati Insurance Co. Has anyone used them? Its $275 for a 1mil policy.

In the past I have used HSCG but you also have to join the guild and that comes to $520.I don't need to join anything, I have found that the 'specials' and 'discounts' were limited and I don't think Ive ever used them

Thanks!
  8.   0 points
    grammadawn, If you look under the "Discussion feed" there are helpful information about liability insurance. Yes you do need to purchase this if you intend to sell. I found the HSCG with membership is way cheaper to own then some other policy holder. There is no minimum products sells before you are covered. With the insurance through HSCG you are covered without have to have a certain amount of retail sells before they cover you. ALL STATES ARE DIFFERENT when it comes to selling you product liability insurance. Where I live it costs more to purchase from my Home Owners Insurance company. Here is a small list of Liability Insurance for soap crafters: Indie Business Network (IBN), RLI, HSCG, HandMade Artisan Insurance. Some of these I have researched and talked with and not all of them cover every state. I have personally talked with the representative from the HSCG in full length (by the way they are very helpful and no question is not left unanswered.) and have come away feeling confident when the time comes to purchase from them. So please research these companies that are out there. Every individual will have a different outcome to their own experience. Some of the mentioned companies listed are old information since 2012, SO PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH AND LOOK UP THESE COMPANIES FOR CURRENT INFORMATION. I have found that some information from 3 years ago is not available and up to date. So research, research and research. Good luck.
  9.   0 points
    Thanks Diana for that information....you sure did your research girl :-)
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015
      0 points
    Has anyone used the Indie Business Network insurance ?
  10.   0 points
    No Hannahobs. If I understand when you sign up with Indie Business Network, you MUST become a member to buy their insurance. Not sure if there's a required amount of products selling to meet in order to get liability insurance. Membership is cost, plus the cost of insurance. I hope this helps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015
      0 points
    The Indie Business Network's insurance is the same as the one you get through the Guild. Cost with joining and becoming a member is roughly the same as well.
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2015
      0 points
    thanks for the input. I just got the news, $175 membership and 375 for coverage.
    Indie does more with free classes etc, but I just don't want to join the network, Id like to keep these costs down.
    What ins do you, Tigerlilies and Chirma use?
    I'm still waiting on the RLI info, and the Cincinnati Insurance Co.is $275, but its HARD to read these policies!
    I may lapse for now and pick it up in a week or 2 when I have more time to investigate.
  11.   0 points
    Hannahobs. I would go with the Guild. It's $520 for the year and no membership and no one bothering you. You don't have to vote or do the conference. I'm thinking when the conference
    comes to the West again. I'm going to ask my husband to go with me or go myself. What kind of classes are you looking for? Do research. If I added your fees correctly its $550.00 for the year with Indie
    Business Network. Oh, let me not forget I got your email. Thank you.