Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgrammadawn
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012
      0 points
    Would anyone be willing to share how they package their cold process soaps for giving or selling? I have the poly bags with the self stick strip at the top but I don't want the soap to get moisture in there. I could punch a couple holes with a paper punch maybe? I just don't want to put them out where everyone can finger them. Picking up a bag and being able to catch the scent would be fine. Appreciate your thoughts and/or advice.

Dawn
  1.   0 points
    I started with cigar bands, but have since transitioned to boxes with an open window.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012
      0 points
    Crystal, I saw those. How costly are they? How big are the lots you purchase of boxes? That and I HATE paying shipping! But if that's what keeps the product in the best condition, it would seem appropriate.
  2.   0 points
    The time it took me to print the cigar bancs, cut, them, attach them, and then reposition later as teh soap shrinks..... The boxes were totally worth it. I am going to start buying them a thousand at a time. but they do come smaller. 48 I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012
      0 points
    Dawn, I use the bags also. I just make sure the soap is fully cured - so for my area, that's a couple of months. I like to package them right before sale/giving. I also will put them in the bag but leave it open, if I need the space and have to label them, too. Depending on your climate, shrinkage can happen for a long time after you make a soap. Water discounts also affect your shrinkage rates/time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    I put mine in those treat bags that are for baked goods and tie with curling ribbon. These bags cost me about 2 cents each maybe 3 with ribbon and label.
    About halfway up the sides of the bag I punch holes with the hole punch so it can be smelled but even then I have notuiced that customers don't even try to sniff them. to fix this we put out a sample bar that they can finger and sniff to their hearts content. The labels are fixed to the front and back with tape which is another reason for the holes being on the sides. We found that when on the bottom we were having to tape over some of them and then the exposed tape inside then collected soap crumbs and looked crappy :/ Now you want to talk about yuck that would be those sniffer bars after a few shows-YEEK! Bare naked soap is beautiful but being handles and hauled around it looks grubby in a hurry.
    I wait unti the soaps are well cured to package them. For me this works pretty well since I would cry over the expense when the boxes got beat up from being transfered about and had to be replaced. If I was selling somewhere I didn't have to transport the boxes like Crystal uses would be great or the clamshells. I have seen some really cute ideas from the swaps though for alternate packaging from bags to fabric cigar bands.
    Packaging seems to be the bane of our existence-lol
      0 points
    Thanks Mesha and Ana! I appreciate the feedback cuz I was wondering if anyone used the bags and then made a hole or two for ventilation. I have some samples of the soaps that will be for sale. I was going to put them out in a small basket. If they take them or just smell them, it won't matter much. I like the fabric cigar bands too. Tired of fussing with them though! If I added my time to the cost, they'd think I was selling gold bars! LOL!

Dawn
    • CommentAuthorBeckaBoo
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012
      5 points
    I've bought soap from all three of these ladies and I like all their packaging. I do tend to prefer boxes, in general, but that's mainly because I tend to stick a bar of soap in my purse so I can pull it out at random times during the day and sniff it. I'm not kidding, I'm really this strange. Boxes help keep my soap from getting too beat up in my purse..:)
  3.   1 point
    Appreciate the detail of how you use your soap and how the packaging effects the product. I have the plastic/cellophane seal bags for now but will probably buy some boxes to see how well they work out for me. Again, thanks!
    • CommentAuthorBonnie
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012
      1 point
    BeckaBoo, that is not strange. Sometimes I take a bar of soap to work so I can sniff it periodically throughout the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLori
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012
      2 points
    The eccentricities of soapaholics. :) Gotta love us.
    We're not the only ones tho. The first time I gave a bar of soap to my Dad he slept with it by his pillow...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    Dang! I hate using the forum off me iPhone. Can someone plse fix where I accidentally hit the one tiny spot on the page that would vote down Dawn's response to me? I thought I had asked immediately but now I see that it did not post :(
    I am so sorry Dawn! I am glad my feedback helped.
  4.   1 point
    Mesha, I voted her up one, so now she is even.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    Thank you!
  5.   0 points
    Thank you Mesha and Crystal :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngie:0)
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
      1 point
    Crystal-Dirty Water or anyone that uses the boxes.
    Where are the boxes that you use made?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngie:0)
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
      0 points
    YAY!! Thank you :0)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
      0 points
    I use shrink wrap . I have bought like 10 meters, I cut it as I need it, use transparent adhesive tape (2 sides, cut very thin)) to "merge" the 2 sides, and then shrink it with my hair dryer and label (usually either over the seal, but I also position the seal with the tape on the long side, in order to keep it from being too visible.

It takes quite some time to do it, but I like it.

Other thing - I love that corrugated card boards, tied with a nice ribbon (either natural fibres or some kind of paper or so)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
      0 points
    Saw a really unusual and cute idea for packaging on a You tube video today- Check it out @ 3 minutes 47 seconds on :