Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012
      2 points
    Has anyone not seen the commercial when the guy is talking about the spray that you can put in your gutters and anything else you want to repel water. Yes, the black spray on stuff that they put on a screen door and put into the bottom of a boat. Would it be something that you could spray into your molds and never have to line them again? Just thinking, because, I just hate to line the molds, never is really smooth. Maybe I will have to spray a piece of scrap wood and place a blop of soap on it to check it out, I will keep everyone posted. Unless you have already done this, how did it turn out?????
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    Sounds like a cool idea if it works :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRenee
      1 point
    I line my molds with freezer paper, and I get nice smooth sides/bottom..... are you creasing the paper in the corners?

~*Renee*~
  1.   0 points
    When you try it Caren, please let us know how it turns out.
    Will the soap (raw) eat the spray? - like it does to non-stick coating on cookware.
    Or would it be like silicone in a spray can?
    Would be cool if it works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012
      4 points
    Amy Warden posted this video on You Tube. It's so simple, but I never thought to line my molds this way. D'oh! So, from now on...
  2.   0 points
    Thanks for posting the video. Not only were the instructions great, but her apron was too!!!
  3.   0 points
    Awesome! Hadn't ever thought of doing that before. But what's freezer paper? Is it parchment paper or something different?

:-) Cheyenne
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Similar but not quite. I believe it is thicker and it has a slick shiny side that you want to be sure is the one the soap batter touches. It is a bit cheaper per inch too. You find it where the plastic wrap and tin foil are.
  4.   1 point
    I think freezer paper is plastic coated butcher paper...

Here's a question for you folks: Do you think you could create a permanent liner for wooden molds by buying some silicone sheets (like you would use to roll out pie dough for instance, or to line cookie sheets with) and cut it into pieces and gluy those pieces to each side of the wooden box mold?
    I plan on acquiring one of those fairly soon (the wooden mold) and I'd rather not have to dink around with lining it every time (since I'm lazy!) :)
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
      0 points
    I'm with you Mollie, I hate to line my molds. I am always looking to make a permanent liner in place, I had thought about those silpat things but they are expensive, but probably cheaper than to keep buying the freezer paper!
  5.   0 points
    Well heck, I might just try it when I get my wooden mold then - if I do, I'll be sure to report back to y'all!

On another silicone-related note: I ordered 3 loaf molds from Amazon last night, they were only $12 and some change each, I thought that was a pretty fair price! I figure once I get them. I'll create some sort of mechanism to help the sides stay nice and sturdy (so they won't bow out). I was figuring I might be able to use sturdy cardboard to create a "frame" of sorts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      1 point
    Freezer paper is a plastic coated butcher paper. It's nice and thick, thicker than parchment paper. It's kind of expensive, but it's worth it as far as no wrinkles in your soaps go.

I've seen silicone mold liners, and I think Crystal or maybe Cece had some kind of liner they made with foam board - that stuff that you do crafts with?? It's been a while, so I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not. I think Bramble Berry sells mold liners for lots of $$.
    • CommentAuthorCece
      0 points
    I actually have a couple of molds from Woodfield Molds that have silicone inserts. I love them, but they aren't always the best for milk soaps. (they are also expensive) I am going to bring out my old wooden mold and try Amy's method for lining it with the freezer paper. Thanks for posting it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      4 points
    i cut some mylar sheets that fit perfectly into my molds. i have a big one that's the same type material as the plastic cutting boards, and the mylar sheets are fitted to perfectly cover the sides. my smaller batch molds are fancy wooden cake boxes and i folded the mylar sheets so that when the soap is done, i just have to turn the boxes over and it falls right out. all you need is a measuring tape, some magic marker and something to score the lines with so they fold easier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    oh, and they're washable and reusable.
    • CommentAuthorBonnie
      0 points
    I like the idea of using plastic cutting boards. They would be less floppy than silicone. I may have to give them a try!
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
      2 points
    I had emailed the company "Flex Seal" for any information if I could use for soap, their response was that while the temps would not be a problem, the oils would as it makes their substance sticky. Oh well, back to the idea table!!! For the time being, freezer paper it is!!!
  6.   2 points
    I line the sides of my molds with the craft foam, and the bottom with a silicone baking sheet cut to size. You can see it here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150849579392284.398561.111363702283&type=3 One day I will figure out how to post pictures to this forum. It is super easy, I do have to take my molds apart to get the soap out. But that is the way my Hubby designed them.
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
      0 points
    Thanks Crystal, I guess I'll head to the craft store to get some craft foam and I can get a baking sheet probably at Walmart or somewhere, my molds are log molds and the long sides are hinged to get the soap out, so I will work on that.
  7.   0 points
    Crystal -- This is a bit off the topic - but I have to say that I love, love, love your workshop/laboratory! :)
    Looks like you have plenty of work-space to create those gorgeous bars!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
      0 points
    Craft foam- huh!
    I have some of that I got at Dollar Tree. I am going to have to try it for the sides next time I make a batch of Vegan soap. That stuff is a pain to get out of the molds!
  8.   0 points
    Mollie, if you were looking at the last post with teh lined molds... That was my Kitchen and it is a wonderful kitchen, currently filled with anything and everything for canning season! My "soap" room is a bit smaller and still in need of some countertops. However my hubby and I are currently in farm mode, meaning time for irrigating, canning, weeding and anything else that harvest season brings. So, my soap studio needs are definitely put on hold for now.

But Thank you, I do love both of my spaces!
  9.   0 points
    :) Yes, very nice kitchen space!
    This isn't nice of me to admit, but I was a little bit envious of all your lovely counter space!
  10.   0 points
    It is ok, there are many that are envious of my Kitchen counter space. I do miss soaping in my Kitchen, very much, but I do like that I can close the door to my soap studio and not have to look at the mess I just made. It is a catch 22.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
      0 points
    Closing the door wins ;)