Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
      3 points
    Studies have shown that customers spend between 12% to 17% more when using a credit card than they would otherwise if using cash for payment.

Since I started selling my soaps I can't count the number of times I have been asked if I took Credit/debit cards. Recently I got an iPhone so I may as well make good use of it so I started looking into CC apps and readers for the phone. I found two of them seem to be the top choices-Square and Intuit GoPayment.
    This is an overview of what I have found:
    Intuit
    -2.7% per swipe of 3.7 for keyed transactions
    3day wait on funds
    pros cons
    Supposedly their card reader works MUCH better more info required to sign up with them
    Can send info to quick books does not do cash sales
    24 hr customer service cell phone protective case likely will have to be removed
    good reviews in apps store
    monthly plan for high volume available- not that I need it right now
    works on a few more phones/pads

Square
    2.75% per swipe of 3.5 + .15 for keyed transactions
    funds in 24hrs
    pros cons
    can also keep track of your cash sales email customer service only
    easy to register Poor reviews in app store
    itemized listings a lot of complaints about how difficult it is to get cards to read
    can offer customer rewards with it

Both can send receipts to customers which would be very nice.
    I probably am going to get set up with both and see which I like best since there is no charge for it. I am wondering if any of you use either of these or is there something else you like????

Between accepting CC and all the lye I buy I am just waiting for the law to come around and see what kind of nefarious activities I am up to.
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012 edited
      1 point
    I have been thinking on doing the same thing, since I want to start doing shows and fairs along with having open house on the weekends that I am home. Don't have a smart phone yet, still waiting till my soap sales allow me to afford one, with all the other things on my wish lists.

Living in a horrible drug area, with meth and pills, I'm sure that the police would be knocking at my door with the lye sales. My daughter is a probation officer with the county here where I live, they would probably think that we are pulling the wool over someones eyes and paying off the law!!!! Thank goodness, I obey most laws and have not been in trouble since my teens, knock on wood!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRenee
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
      2 points
    I use the Square App...and LOVE it!! I have not had ANY problems at all. Being able to process CC payments was my whole reason to upgrade to a smart phone to begin with. People love being able to pull out a debit/credit card to pay for goodies... so I have signs ALL OVER my displays. "Low on Ca$h?? This booth accepts credit cards!".... Love the Square.. you cannot go wrong there.

~*Renee*~
  1.   0 points
    http://www.propay.com/products-services/accept-payments/flash/

This is what I am considering for taking credit cards. A vendor at a local fair told me about them. My issues: 1. I do not have a smart phone, and right now can not justify the additional cost per month for a few CC orders. 2. Some of my fairs are in high mountain towns, where, there is no such thing as cell signal. The pro pay, reads teh card, then you go home and plug into a computer and everything downloads. The vendor I was talking to said, she also does a paper swipe of the card as a back up, just in case the card does not read. She has been using in for a few years and loves it.

I have yet to miss a sale do to not being able to take CC's, but I am in a small town as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
      0 points
    Looks like a cool way to get around the smart phone dilemma.

My choice was made for me between the Square and Intuit GoPayment since Intuit didn't like my lack of credit. Silly since I am not going to be the one making the CC charges-lol
    • CommentAuthorTaylor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
      2 points
    I just got a Square the other day in the mail. I haven't used it yet but I know maybe six people who have them and love them. I expect to try my Square out on Sunday. The nice things is even if you struggle with the card reader, you can input the CC info manually and it will still work.

I will see about putting my thoughts up here.
  2.   1 point
    I have been using the square for over a year. I agree 100% with Renee, I love it. It is brainless, and painless.
    It is the reason I upgraded to a smart phone. Mostly I am happy with the upgrade for other reasons too.

I actually read the entire user agreement looking for "the catch". There isn't one.

Speaking of smart phones... there is an app called PDAnet. Alows you to connect to the internet through your smart phones cellular signal. Lets your phone work as a WiFi hotspot. $15.99 one time fee for full access. I really like it too. http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited
      0 points
    So it would allow my phone to be an internet connection for a tablet or laptop? That would be so cool!

Update- Dang Apple and their corporate loving #@%&*# such an app isn't available from them. If I had Android there are all kinds of them though :(
  3.   0 points
    @ Mesha - I believe you have to have the hot spot capability added to your monthly plan if you want to turn your iPhone into a hot spot for a laptop or whatnot. My hubby has it on his iPhone and I can access sites from mine when he has the option turned on. At least that's how I think it works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
      0 points
    Yes for iPhone you have to have the monthly plan. They are in total support of The Man.
    I told hubby about it though since he has an Android phone. He was really excited and looked into it. Turns that Verizon made Google remove the app from the app store and now you have to download an app to tell you where to go to get the download to make it work. He got it and says it works beautifully.
    There is also FoxFi that does it. Idk if the establishment has caught onto them yet.
    • CommentAuthordjames
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
      1 point
    I started using Square for my jewelry business and so far this Summer during shows has worked like a dream and payment is there next day. Loving it so far and can't find any negatives to report. Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPollyFae
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012
      0 points
    Will any SmartPhone work? I cannot afford an iphone but I thought the Square option worked with any smartphone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    I believe so. I drowned my phone last weekend at an event bcse I got overly sweaty so I had to barrow hubby's Galaxy Nexus and I was able to use it on that.
    If you have an iPad it will function as a fancy cash register and keep up with customer preferences and how much they have bought, etc... It is really neat and makes me wish I could afford one :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorPollyFae
      0 points
    I just got back from signing up. I do have a droid so it will work! YAY!! I have a HUGE 10 day show coming up in 3 weeks and I do get people who want to use credit cards. I will only accept them for sales over $20 though. I am not going to accept them for one bar of soap. LOL I am so excited!! I used to have a credit card machine that would connect wirelessly but I only could get signal if I was in a huge city. It cost me $17 a month for connection and then $5 for a statement and then percentages. It just wasn't worth the expense AND I had to download most of them after i got home. I got a LOT of dud credit cards this way and lost quite a bit of money. This way, I will be swiping and depositing daily. Most of my shows are rural but still have cell phone signals or at least 3g's. So I believe this will help my sales at this show AND at the flea market I go to every Friday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013
      0 points
    I'm really happy with Square :)
    The funds are usually deposited in my account the next day, the rates are low and it's super easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013
      0 points
    I got the square for my iPad, but have not yet had a chance to use it. Partially because I didn't have wifi everywhere. However, I just got set up with TruConnect for a portable hotspot and I tested it out by ringing myself up. I really love the cash register . And I know I am going to LOVE being mobile accepting cards.
  4.   0 points
    I like my square as well, looking into getting an Ipad after a few of my fairs are done, and my bank account has a little more cash flow.

Christine, what is the TruConnect and how does it give you a hotspot? I am not very informed in this techy area?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013
      0 points
    There are several different devices available that will allow you to use the internet wherever you are. Some phones even come with the ability to be a hot spot. Check with your cell phone carrier about what they have for you. There also may be other ways of doing this like perhaps your internet provider will also offer hotspots or there may be private companies. I am pretty sure you can also do it like you do the cell phones without a contract.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLavenderLady
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013 edited
      0 points
    Pay pal now has a (phone) card reader as well. It is slightly less than doing business with the square (I have intuit, square and pp), but you don't have any wait time for removing your funds from your account, so I am now using it. I used the square last year and was happy with it, but I think I prefer the pay pal one now.
    I have a droid phone and I had no problem using the square or the pp readers. I have the intuit reader, but never used it because I liked the square so much. My Mom uses intuit though and she likes it.
    • CommentAuthorSaltyBee
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2014 edited
      0 points
    I just got my paypal card reader in the mail last week. I will be using it at a Cancer Society fund raiser this friday evening. I am quite excited, this will be my third event and I learn so much each time I go to one. Last time it was a street festival and wow, just the knowledge I gained was worth it. I have an android phone.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
      0 points
    I love the idea of having a card reader for my smart phone. I appreciate the information everyone has posted reguarding them. I used to accept credit cards for a previous business venture and did find people did purchase more when I could accept cards.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
      0 points
    I just got the SQUARE, I had a customer actually suggest I start taking cards, so that sealed it for me to decide to get it.

I just had a nice weekend, sales wise, but in retrospect maybe it could have been more if I could take cards.

Oh well I'll be ready for next time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
      1 point
    I LOVE my Square. I use it on my iPad and have the Square Register set up to take care of all my cash management, not just credit cards. It takes a bit to set up, but you can email or text receipts even on cash payments, and I haven't had to write paper receipts in a while. People are pretty cool about getting their receipts electronically these days. At the end of the day, you close out your drawer and get reports on all your income. Comes in handy come sales tax time.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2014
      0 points
    I was really surprised about it doing the cash aspect. That is going to help out a lot.
  5.   1 point
    I love my square, been using well over 3 years, and never a single problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
      1 point
    Big thumbs up for Square! I was out doing a show for the past two days and KILLED it! And the Square was big time instrumental.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreor1122
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2014
      0 points
    I had a show Sunday, and I love that I can use to keep track of cash because all I had was cash sales, but Monday at work (because I was too lazy to bring the boxes of soap in the house when I got home Sunday) I had a big sale of 9 bars to one girl without trying, I wish that could happen more often.