Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012 edited
      0 points
    I am sure I am not the only one who uses these rubber ice cube trays for molds. Got this one at the Dollar Tree and made salt bar samples in it. Did CP/OP method and my green and teal soaps came out with pink on them. Not really cool when it is a men's scent.

Not sure if it was bcse of the heat or what that caused this. I have used other similar molds and not had this happen.
  1.   0 points
    The cheaper silicone molds seem to have bleed issues, and warp after a lot of use. They don't seem to hold up very well in the dishwasher either. The ones that are oven proof (usually rated for 400 degrees or more) seem to hold up better. You can also put them in a warm oven to encourage gel in the small shapes if you want the look that complete gel gives. I've warped more 'molds' than I'd like to admit. Good thing they were mostly the cheap ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
      0 points
    Yikes! I've seen this happen before. I was using a red heart silicone cake mold and the color bled into my white M&P hearts. Great. Just the kind of fun I wanted for a test batch. NOT! I ended up ditching the mold unless the soap was pink in color.

I think it happened due to a combination of heat and fragrance. Does your fragrance wipe ink off labels quickly or smudge permanent marker?
  2.   0 points
    You mean like tea tree oil? Never thought to test the FO, thanks Andee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
      2 points
    It has been my experience that the more fast acting solvent properties of a fragrance in combination with heat of M&P made the mold likely to bleed if the mold is a cheaper one. I would imagine the process of saponification of both heat and chemical reactions would provide plenty of "fuel" for the color to bleed into/onto the soap. The brighter the color of the mold, the more likely it will happen. As Cece could tell us, with fiber you have to wash out the extra color. It could be a case of too much color in a mold that didn't need that much color.

Let me know if any of these ideas make sense. If it weren't for the fact the end product wasn't desired, I'd say some testing is in order.

Mesa,
    I had a wild thought. If these are salt bars samples, call 'em a mistake and a soap that any man would use. I say this because my dad has a baby pink shirt that he wears and a teenage boy was teasing him one day about wearing pink and not being a real man. Dad looked calmly at him and said "Real men wear whatever color they want because they know they can either ignore an insult or kick your butt. Either way, real men win." It was great to see that.

OR chunk them and put the chunks in another batch of soap. Darn, where is a tragedies swap when you need one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
      0 points
    Cute idea:)
    I just scrapped the pink off them.
    Sadly out of that batch the pink ones were the only ones I am going to get. I used the little stars for the rest of them and they are crumbling to bad as I remove the due to the mold detail :( Ah well- ill fix it somehow.
  3.   1 point
    I would think this happened due to the heat from the oven. I've used these for CP soaps with no issues (so far), but I didn't put them in the oven. Super cute little guys, too!

I have had this happen with a red silicon bread loaf mold. The color bled on to the soap.