Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    My mom just asked an awesome question- is there any way to make a bar soap that could be used to wash fruits and veggies? I know you could probably just use any old soap that was unscented, but is there any way to give it the same properties as a store-bought wash that will kill bacteria, etc?

(Side question- is there anything out there that kills salmonella/other nasty bacteria as well as a bleach rinse? We were going to try a commercial wash but can't find any information as to what bacteria it kills.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
      3 points
    All soap works the same and so does detergent. It forms a film or barrier around the dirt and bacteria that allows it to be washed away.
    All that antibacterial soap out there on the market actually isn't good for us since it allows the germs to build up a resistance to it- like the deal with taking all your antibiotics. Additionally we used to build up an immunity to those common everyday bacteria from exposure so now there are cases of people getting sick from bacteria they normally would be immune to.
    You could use lemon or orange EO in it as they are naturally antibacterial and they are are great cleaning agents too! If not that several other EOs are antibacterial- lavender, basil, Eucalyptus, Pine, Thyme, Camphor, Citronella, Grapefruit, Tea Tree, Black Pepper, Patchouli, Sage and Ginger
    • CommentAuthorMaryah
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
      1 point
    just take one of your unscented bars of soap or one with EO on mesha's short list, grind up a little of the bar, disolve in a sinkfull of water, let sit for about 20 to 30 seconds that should kill all that yuck. including the salmonella/nasty stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
      0 points
    Actually, just using cider vinegar in your water works. I think you can use about half a cup for a sink-ful of veggies or fruit (even strawberries) and soak for 15 minutes. I don't know if it works on the salmonella - I'll see if I can find an answer to that.
  2.   0 points
    Thanks for checking on that, Ana!

And thanks to all for the tips! :-) We'll try it and let you know how it goes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
      2 points
    This is a good discussion on this topic. Hope it helps! http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14540742
  3.   1 point
    Soap isn't the best thing to use for washing raw fruits and veggies. Here's a short excerpt that paraphrases what the FDA and USDA think using soap does to the fruits and veggies:
    "Some consumers are using mild detergents and soap to clean their produce. Neither the USDA
    nor FDA recommends washing fruits and vegetables in anything but cold, drinkable water.
    Dish soaps have not been approved as a food cleaning items and a soapy residue left on the
    produce can cause diarrhea. They can also change the flavor of your produce."
    Here's the link (copy and paste into your browser) to the handout on how to properly wash fruits and veggies: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_FC_2007-01.pdf

They don't talk about bar soap, but I'd think it's the same as dish soap. I know I don't want my yummy fruits to taste like soap!
    • CommentAuthorMaryah
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012
      0 points
    if your rinsing the fuits properly there will not be a soapy taste, also they are saying that about dish soap not bar. their are sevral chemicals that are not in bar soap and many of them you would never look twice at save to find out what they are. at this point the fda has been going after raw food markets to shut them down. there is a fine line do your research and decide for your self.
    Maryah
  4.   0 points
    True, I've never made dish soap, so I didn't think about the different chemicals found there vs. bar soap. I'd still be leery about washing my fruits and veggies with bar soap. Especially ones that are bumpy and rough, but that's just my opinion and feeling on the matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012 edited
      1 point
    I have been meaning to try this one:

I just recently got the KOH though so haven't had a chance yet.
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012
      1 point
    Mesha, I have made this one, I still go back to using Dawn because this, I feel, just does not cut the grease after I have cooked a meal or made soap. This recipe, however, does work great drizzling on any protein stain before washing. Since I watch some of my grandkids on a daily basis, I have used different things to get their clothes clean.

I do like her idea of mixing lye so that it comes to trace quicker, it really does work great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    that's a wonderful video! and next time i'm gonna try dissolving the lye this way.

i used a similar recipe on my liquid soap, except it was soy shortening, not soybean oil. what i did was put the paste into a bucket and whenever i need a bunch of liquid soap, i scoop some out and dilute it and add orange essential oil. use it as dish soap, spray cleaner, stain pre-treatment . . . i even made my own softscrub version from the soaping 101 video. love that one!

i find i have no problems with this soap cutting grease and doing a good job cleaning, but maybe the orange oil helps that too.

question though: i never did add the citric acid to neutralize it. is that totally necessary? i only made that batch of liquid soap for household cleaning and it does a good job. i also did not find that it's too harsh when i handle it. am i gonna be ok?
    • CommentAuthorcaren
      0 points
    Maybe I should add orange oil, that probably does make a difference. When I neutralize, I use borax, but did not need to use it with this soap. As far and the handling the soap, I have not had any problem with mine at all. The only issue that I had with this soap, and any liquid soap. I have no patience when it comes to diluting the soap, I always end up putting the stick blender to it, then I have lots of foam. I have once, let the soap dissolve and it took about a week, I just put it into the soap pot and put it into a closed room and left it alone. Maybe, I should do that more often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    i just dissolve it in boiling water, that doesn't take too long!