Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.   0 points
    I have some patchouli soap that has a rancid smell, could I turn it into laundry soap without having any residue smell? If so, how much grated soap do you use for a large load? I have not made any before, do I just grated it and toss it in?

Thanks,
    Terry
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
      0 points
    I would not make an entire batch, maybe a tablespoon of each, soap, borax, washing soda, in a cup of boiling water, melt everything, cool, then smell, you may want to just use the rancid smelling soap in the veggie garden to deter critters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
      0 points
    You can use it for laundry soap with the recipe Caren has. To make sure your clothes smell fresh, add 1 cup of distilled vinegar into your rinse cycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
      0 points
    Hi, Caren!

How do you use the soap in the garden? Would you mind sharing? :)

Also, if the soap-borax-washing soda smells rancid, could some Lavender EO (or any other EO) be used to mask that smell ? Would the vinegar rinse fade the EO ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
      0 points
    Simona, I've read that some people add essential oils to the vinegar rinse and that it works well. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a good idea. :-)
  2.   0 points
    Thanks for your suggestions. I only have about 12 bars, so will try a small batch, worst case throw them out, or try Caren suggestion re: garden use.

Thanks all.

Terry
  3.   0 points
    My experience with borax and boiling water is that borax doesn't' dissolve completely. A cleaning solution I made clogged a spray bottle. I had the water at a full boil and stirred until it appeared dissolved, plus stirred for a minute more. Is there a trick? Magic wand? Thanks!