Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012
      0 points
    I found lots of these the other day when foraging through my little seven acre plot of woods. I know that they have been used in homeopathic preparations, so I picked up a few and googled it. Apparently the crushed seed contains a large amount of saponins and is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. It also helps things like spider veins and varicose veins.

I would like to use these in a skin cleanser, but do not know how to process the nuts to make an extract. Has anyone done this before? I have searched online for any kind of help, but all I found was that the seeds in their raw form are toxic and that this toxin - Esculin - needs to be removed by processing them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012
      0 points
    Any information on if it is toxic only when eaten or does that also apply to topical preparations?
    This may be one of those things you can't conquer in the kitchen and need a fancy lab to do the extracting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
      0 points
    so far all the signs point to "toxic when eaten raw". so what i think i'm gonna do is roast them, then dry them and then either powder them or infuse them in oil. they are rich in saponins so i would prefer powdering them. or maybe soak them in witch hazel. not sure yet. i'm going to ask a few herbalists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Sounds like a lot of work but I think it sounds really neat :)