Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMaryah
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012
      0 points
    i have found that as i have used homemade soap i have become a soap snob, am i alone in that one??

the other question will the type of fat determin color in any way??
    Maryah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    #1- I doubt it! I think all of the rest of us here are pretty much ruined ;)

#2- some can- it depends on the oil. Most just give a slight tinge of color but sometimes it can mess with coloring your batch. Google oil properties in soapmaking and you are sure to find some lists and/or charts on what color an oil might make your batch
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    LOL! Definitely! I really don't like using syn-dets at all!! They leave my skin really itchy and scaly. Yuk! I love my soap!!

Mesha is right ~ Some oils do affect the final color of your soap. Lard and tallow make a bright white (and very hard) bar, while shea, rice bran and cocoa can impart a yellowish color. On the swap for single-oil soaps, did someone do a chart on what the final results were?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      0 points
    *raises her hand* definitely soap snob here!

if you use olive oil for a big part of your recipe, try not to color anything purple or blue, because the green tint of the olive oil will definitely distort your color into a grayish sage green. if you want predictable coloring, stick with tallow, lard or shortening.
  1.   0 points
    I am a total soap snob, as well as many of my family members.

The oils have a definite change on thecolor of your soap. I jut switched from refined shea butter to natural shea butter, and I my base is not as white as it used to be.