Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012
      1 point
    A friend of mine had an Ale plant that needed trimmed back so she brought me the leaves she trimmed off to harvest the jelly from. I got all the good stuff all scrapped out and I put it in the blender and pureed it to get rid of all the big chunks. I decided to return some of it to her since she uses it for bumps and scrapes, etc so to be sure it would keep long term I added optiphen to it to preserve it. Also I put it in the fridge to keep it though I don't know if I needed to do that. The next day I noticed it had turned a purplish pink color! What's up with that ??? Is it still good???
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012
      0 points
    Just a guess....did it oxidize? Maybe some vitamin E or grapefruit extract would have prevented that? It's a guess, though, since I've never tried processing aloe. Hmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012
      0 points
    I suspect the pink color is decomposition. A preservative will not necessarily protect from the cycle of life, death, compost. You have cells that were broken during blending and it is God's way to have this cycle so that everything returns to the Earth to support new life. Enzyme action will continue the cellular breakdown. The only thing a preservative will do is protect from microbial growth. A preservative will not stop oxidation, nor will it stop a plant material from continuing through the compost cycle.

My suspicion is you will need to extract into alcohol, fat or both. You need to have some type of carrier to hold the beneficial materials without the cellular structure of the plant.

I am sorry! I wish I had great news for you. You can try the alcohol and fat extracts now. Don't think you must throw this away. If the odor is good then extract away!

Tina
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012 edited
      0 points
    Good thing that I have been keeping it in the fridge.
    How would I go about extracting it? Like a tincture?
    I am not sure I want to extract it since I have put preservative in it- maybe with the rest of it though. For now it is going in the freezer.
    How is one to make lotion with fresh aloe if it does this though? Would citric acid help?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
      0 points
    This is why I prefer to buy aloe vera in powder form (200:1).... but I would really love to use my aloe in cosmetics :(