Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorrocky
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012
      0 points
    It's time for dumb question Friday. I use the 8 bar "Handmade" mold most of the time, so here comes my question. With the oils all the same types and percentages, fragrance is the variable. How come sometimes the soap is a nightmare to get out of the mold?
    Freezer for a while then hot water on the mold usually works, but lettering and trim can suffer.
    Has me scratching my already bald head. ;0) Bill
  1.   0 points
    Wish I could help, I have a mold that breaks down. Sorry and good luck
  2.   0 points
    I've read on some different sites/blogs etc. about people using a thin coating of mineral oil to grease their molds (as mineral oil won't saponify, it retains it "greasiness") Maybe that will help?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      0 points
    It may but it also leaves a film of it on your soap- I think it is nasty!
    I have left soaps that are that soft for several days to a week and sometimes that helps or then there is the freezer. My best bet is to try to formulate them so they are harder. I have used a very small amount of stearic acid with good results- like .25-.5 % . You can go as high as 1- 2% I believe.
  3.   1 point
    I use the milky way molds for some things and the 8 bar mold from MMS. Seems like if I let them sit in the mold for more than 48 hours, then freeze them overnight they pop out better without damage to the design. When I don't wait, they seem to not release as well. Just did a pine tree milky way mold, didn't let it sit long enough, the details are a bit ruffed up.
    I aggree with Mesha on the mineral oil. I think I've tried it twice when I first started out. It is an icky feeling on the soap, I don't like it at all. Also, a harder formulation might help. A couple of soaps I do with more palm oil in them do seem to unmold better, now that I think about it. Hmmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    Have you tried glycerin on the molds? You'd have to use a really thin layer so it doesn't bead. I've used glycerin for pipe molds, and that seemed to help. Is your water at the same rate in each batch too? I don't use these molds, so I'm not much help here. Just some questions to think about. :-)
    • CommentAuthorMaryah
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
      0 points
    vasilne is suppose to work as well.
    maryah
    • CommentAuthorrocky
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
      2 points
    Thank you all! Now come the experiments. I gift and the family uses the soap but I have to keep up appearances. Bill
    • CommentAuthorrocky
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012
      1 point
    Well I tried using PKO instead of coconut oil and the soap almost fell out. I'll try some of the other ideas as time allows (and space) . Thanks to all again.