Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012
      0 points
    Hello to everyone!
    I recently made a simple but very emolient cream with some Shea butter,olive oil, water, glycerin and I filled my container. The rest of the cream I thought it would be nice to make it an emolient scrubby..
    So what I did was to add in the cream spoons of Himalayan salt, plain table salt and sugar. I also add some more olive oil and eo.
    Unfortunately a week later(today!!) I discovered it was impossible to use it. The whole thing turn into stone!!! Nothing was like the creamy scrub I made, i couldn't dip neither a spoon. I admit that I used a lot of sugar and salts because I want to fell the scrubines..

I think the whole mistake was water + sugar/salt. Do you believe that we should never add even hydrophilic ingredients(like glycerin) in such a mixture?
    is it that possible(the stone thing!!) to happen in a scrub recipe that contains only oils(and sugar/salt)?
    Is the ideal scrub the one that contains oils and butters and sugar/salts?

Thank you in addition for your time. I'm very curious for the whole thing!
  1.   0 points
    My ideal scrub is butters/oils with salt or sugar. I ahve never added glycerin to my scrubs.

I bet the water with with sugar turned your scrub to stone.

Just my thoughts.

Crystal
    • CommentAuthorpapi
      1 point
    Thank you for your opinion Crystal! :)
  2.   3 points
    I wonder what would happen if you "crushed" your scrubby stone...maybe you end up with (let's call them) scrubby granules that could still be used?
    At least that way you're not wasting your good cream!
    • CommentAuthorlcwillson
      0 points
    My guess is that the water from the cream was absorbed by the salt and sugar and then dried a bit turning it into stone. You might want to try an emulsified scrub without the water and glycerin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    I have a scrub that has glycerin in it (I like it a lot!), so I'm thinking it's the water/sugar combo that's turned to rock. Maybe try your recipe without the water to see if that helps. Good luck with it!
    • CommentAuthorMaryah
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
      0 points
    hmm a "pumis" scrubbie with out the pumis cool idea/mistake wonder if it feels as good as it sounds??
    maryah
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
      0 points
    Yes, if you have only oil and salt/sugar, it will sink to the bottom and you'll have to stir before you use it. I don't mind doing that. :-)
    • CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
      0 points
    Oh, thanks, I got it!!
    The scrub I made is really scrubby, as a pumis stone(!), because I used and "thick" sea salt(and because it was SO full!!)
    I liked it because it was so scrubby that I wouldn't have to rub with big presure as the salts/sugar melt and finally leave the softness of the emulsion.
    But now I crushed the "stone" and add some oil too is ok.
    When I finish it I'll try and a glycerin scrub ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      0 points
    I love the lemon poppy seed scrub from The Sage's blog :) I guess you can replace the poppy seed with pumice... but the poppy seeds have a nice "massage" effect :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
      0 points
    Honestly, what I had was a scrub that had only some clay, melt & pour soap, oil , sugar and poppy seeds. For sure it was preserved (liquid germall plus ).

all botanicals must be properly preserved, that is for sure! Dare I say all scrubs 0- they sit in the bathroom, there is moisture, you put your wet hand in there ... so...
    • CommentAuthorMaryah
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012
      0 points
    you can use quick oats for the scrubbing effect with out the "harsh" feel you don"t want.....
    Maryah