Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
      0 points
    I am still pretty new to all of this so am wondering what the preservative is in this formula????

Ingredients: Water, Organic and Wildcrafted Herbal Infusions of Green Tea, Oatstraw, Marshmallow Root, Comfrey Root, Calendula Blossoms, Elder Flowers and Chickweed, Vegetable Glycerin, Shea Butter, Organic Oils of High Oleic Safflower and Wheat Germ, Bulgarian Rose Water, Organic and Wildcrafted Essential Oils of Bulgarian-Raised French Lavender and Petitgrain, Rosemary and Sage Antioxidants, Grapefruit Seed Extract.
    •  
      CommentAuthorc2bb54
      0 points
    I don't see any preservative in this formula at all. All that I see is an antioxidant...GSE. Cindy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    GSE can be used as a preservative, but it's not a great one and needs to be tested for efficacy. It does have antimicrobial properties to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
      0 points
    I am pretty new to this but was wondering when I found a web site selling products made with water and with out a broad preservative. Wanted to make sure I am learning proper info. Trying to learn to do things the right way. So would this recipe not be safe to sell this way? Just curious since the owner makes a big deal out of not using preservatives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      0 points
    You could ask if they have a certificate of analysis for their current batch. If they don't, it might be risky to buy, not knowing when it was made or if it was contaminated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorc2bb54
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
      4 points
    I personally would not sell a product that contains water without a preservative in it; much too risky for my business. Cindy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
      2 points
    I wouldn't buy it and I certianly wouldn't sell it! All it would take is one person getting an infection from it and it could put me out of business. I would feel just horrible if that happened too. Additionally it could bring any number of government types nosing around. I don't have anything to hide but we all can imagine the headache that situation would bring. Furthermore I refuse to sell anything I wouldn't use myself or stake my reputation on. So you see it is just plain bad business.
    If you are looking for an all natural preservative which I assume was the aim of this person I believe they have recently put one out. I forget what it is called though since it is more then double the cost of Optiphen.
  1.   2 points
    What is the product?
    Not only there is no broad spectrum preservative, but it only contains water/infusions and oils. There is no emulsifier, not even beeswax. Just a guess, but maybe not all ingredients are listed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012
      0 points
    Very good eyes Julie! I wouldn't purchase this product as either the complete ingredients listing is missing or it is an unstable formula. Are you wanting to duplicate it? If you can share a texture, we can help you formulate a product.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012
      0 points
    I was really trying to educate myself more when I came across this woman's web site. She says about her products...."uses 100% natural ingredients, with no synthetic preservation, no artificial fragrance, no coloring agents, no GMOs, no petrochemicals, no parabens or other synthetic ingredients, and are not tested on animals."

So when I looked at her ingred list for each product she sells I was wondering what she was using as a preservative. I thought all ingreds had to be listed? She lists the ingreds for each of her products which she sells at high end prices but none of the lists seem to include a preservative.

I would be very interested in hearing what others are using/why as a preservative in their products.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012
      0 points
    last year, for the copycat swap, i copied a burt's bees product that did not list a preservative in its ingredients either. i have since made this product for me and my girls but not considered selling it because of that, even though we have never had any problems with it and i recently found one of the original containers half full of that product and it still seems fine.

i recently purchased some optiphen from MMS to add to this. granted, the product does not contain water,it's only an emulsion of glycerine and oils, but i still would be very worried about someone opening their jar and looking at green fuzz.

but i'm getting off topic here, even large and well known brand name companies are trying to get away with this: either leaving out an ingredient on the listing or not adding a perservative at all. so be careful out there!
  2.   0 points
    Anything that I sell, that has water introduced, has a preservative. Lip balms are only oil based, so I only have vitamin E to help reduce oxidation. (I stopped using hemp oil in my lip balms as well, not a very long shelf life in my opinion.) If you make very small batches, and consume them right away for personal use, no preservative is not a problem. But if you're going to sell to the public, the risk and liability is far too great. I only make a couple of butter/salves that are oil based that don't contain preservatives. I would not purchase such products that A:had no preservative, B:had a suspect ingredient list that might be incomplete. Better safe than sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSimona
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012
      0 points
    GSE behaves as a preservative because it is adulterated. Check on www.personalcaretruth.com for the keywords "grapefruit seed extract" and there is an article showing that 9 out if 10 cases GSE had antibacterial activity because there were traces of a specific preservative (forgot the name) in it, and the 1 case where no antibacterial activity was detected, it was pure GSE.

I prefer liquid germall plus or microkill COS or parabens . Safer, tested. For my family and friends. I would not use on my skin anything that has water and no preservative, unless Iake a tiny batch (10-30 grams) and I use it within 10 minutes :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLori
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2012 edited
      1 point
    I make a lotion (for myself only) that I really like in which I use no preservatives. All the ingredients are edible, in fact - and healthy. I am always super careful trying not to contaminate any of it, storing most in an 8 oz jar and periodically scooping with a spoon a small amount into my 2 oz "dispensing jar" as needed, always clean hands etc. If I use up the entire batch within 3 months I have no problems, but I once had a bit go icky when the jar was forgotten.

I don't sell my lotion, in spite of the many requests from people who have tried and loved it. I can't expect customers and their families to take the same precautions I would. I would feel just awful if someone ever got an infection or rash from something I made. I don't feel comfortable selling something i can't guarantee. Risky for them. Risky for me. Not going there.

In the past I have given some lotion away to begging/nagging family members, stressing the Do's and don't's and "Use by such-a-date." I never got complaints and they were usually back for more in no time. I've stopped even gifting it though, since it worries me some. Now if they beg I just give them the recipe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
      1 point
    This has all been very helpful information and I that you all for sharing and commenting :)