Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
      0 points
    Has anyone tried to get the Witch Hazel scent into CP? I happen to love the smell of it but am afraid that the heat will get rid of the scent. I have been looking around here to find a bush to make my own extract using steam, so the alcohol content won't be a problem in the soap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
      0 points
    If it is anything like other herbs it will either be very faint or non- existent :( There is even debate on whether any of the herbal properties survive the lye and saponification.
    On the other hand I made soap with a very strong chamomile tea in the 50/59 method and I swear I can smell it just a slight bit.
    The 50/50 method is when you make your lye with half the liquid - often water and add the other half at trace.
  1.   0 points
    If you like it enough you can always hot process. You add it after the cook, most of the alcohol will evaporate right away and it will thin out the soap a bit but it only adds 2 or 3 days to the drying process. I do this with alot of my herbal soaps to retain the properties.
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
      0 points
    Thank you Jenifer, I may have to do a small HP batch to see if that would work. May do that this weekend.
  2.   0 points
    Caren, did you ever experiment with that hot process?
    • CommentAuthorcaren
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
      0 points
    Not yet, I'd still like to try it, just reminded me, something to do this weekend!!! I'll keep you posted, keep your fingers crossed that the scent comes through.
  3.   0 points
    Ok, they are crossed! Let me know.