Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
      0 points
    What are your thoughts on getting insurance if you are selling products? Anyone have any thoughts or info on this subject? I look forward to all your comments :) Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorRenee
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
      0 points
    The Handcrafted Soap Makers' Guild has decent insurance... you can check them out at: http://www.soapguild.org

~*Renee*~
  1.   0 points
    Renee,
    Ditto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
      0 points
    Thank you so much ladies! How many of you have insurance or feel it is necessary?
  2.   0 points
    I have insurance because you never know when someone will try to take advantage of you. Also my policy covers my in home shop for damage or loss.
    • CommentAuthorlcwillson
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
      0 points
    I just started selling and I also have insurance. I feel better having it. I would hate for someone to take advantage.
  3.   1 point
    This is not the day and age to operate any business (no matter how small) without insurance.
    I got an outrageous quote from my regular insurer, and ended up going the Handcrafted Soap Makers' Guild route also. (thanks Renee)
    If you are an LLC, it does offer some personal cover, but I suspect most of us are sole proprietors.
    Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrmtagg
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013
      0 points
    Thank you for the feed back and info. I do believe if you sell something like this you must have insurance. Its is interesting to read some web sites about how they dont use chemical preservatives. They state they use ingreds like rosemary to do the job but I am wondering how safe that really is to rely on this to protect your customers.
    • CommentAuthorHannahobs
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013 edited
      0 points
    I looked into insurance and found that the minimum price was $500 thru the SoapGuild.
    That is too pricey for me right now, I barely cover expenses.

UPDATE:
    so i looked all around and decided i should just do it.

Now my question is, if you use sodium lactate in your soap, do you put it on the label? I have never seen it on any handmade soap that i have tried, but i am sure people must use it.

Hannah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013 edited
      1 point
    For soap you don't need a detailed ingredient list as long as you don't make any cosmetic claims like "moisturizing" etc however I find most people kind of expect it. If you do give ingredients you have to give them all. Of course lotions, scrubs and other items are considered cosmetics and must be fully labeled correctly according to the laws. Everyone should have a copy of Marie Gale's book on labeling as it is a huge help to correctly label your products.
    http://www.mariegale.com/soap-cosmetic-labeling/labeling-book