Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchrima
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
      1 point
    I had ordered a fragrance sample from MMS because I really wanted to see what all the hype was about with Egyptian Musk. Made a small batch today, at the same time experimenting with a organic shortening that I found at a local grocery outlet. Made the soap and separated into two parts at light trace. I figured "Egyptian" . . . used some Denim Blue Glitter from MMS and a little sparkly white mica and a smidgen of yellow iron oxide to create a pretty swirl. Poured them both side by side into my PVC pipe mold and swirled it across. Just as I was putting the mold in a warm place I'm thinking hmmmm, something's wrong. I forgot something! What was it? I turned around and there's my bottle of fragrance oils sitting on the counter, unopened! Oh crap!

I ended up having forego the pretty swirl, pouring everything out of the mold, and carefully mixing in the fragrance oil, hoping it would incorporate. The soap is out of the mold now, it still looks pretty, although not quite the way I intended. there's still some nice color contrast and it smells pretty good. But dang!

Anyone else goofed recently?
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
      1 point
    <LOL> "Best laid plans and all..." Sure, I have done that before. Well...atleast it smells nice and looks good anyway. You are lucky!

So, how do you like the Egyptian Musk? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      4 points
    I like the scent, but it wasn't what I expected. I was hoping for a lot stronger muskier smell. This one is nice, fresh and clean smelling though and I'm sure I'll have takers for the soap.

Funny though, I thought I goofed big time before - lol. I was writing this while taking a break from stick blending a 15 lbs batch of sweet orange patchouli soap. I had started measuring things out earlier in the day and set my lye water aside to cool and went on to other chores. When I got back to it, I mixed and started blending and stood there for an hour and this stupid thing wouldn't trace. I'd walk away, let it sit and then go back and mix again. After I came back the last time I'm stirring and stick blending and it is somewhat emulsified. I'm thinking maybe it cooled down too much and that's why it took so long to reach trace, so I put the pot back on the stove and heated it up again, very carefully as not to create a volcano. Stick blended some more and thinking this should do the trick, add my essential oils and separate to color. Still no trace. I like my soap to be somewhat thicker when pouring into the mold so it won't leak out of the cracks. (I refuse to seal them with vaseline!) When it still didn't reach trace ten minutes later, I started to retrace my steps to figure out what went wrong. I couldn't remember measuring the lye, but I was sure I put the lye water aside to cool. On an impulse, I stuck my finger into the raw soap mixture and held it to my tongue. NO ZING! I dropped everything and went to the lye water container, stuck my finger in there and tongue tested it. NO ZING!

I had mixed my oils with plain water! No wonder the stuff won't trace! It's a good thing I took a generous water discount, so I measured the difference and mixed my lye and added it to the pot. Had trace in minutes, colored for a nice swirl and put it in the mold. Just when I stuck my skewer in to actually swirl, the first bubble popped up. I knew what was coming and got ready with my spatula. The soap started cooking itself big time in the mold and kept bubbling up on one side, so I just stood there with my spatula, folded it over to the other and just waited it out until it did it's thing. No swirl on this soap either, but it is a beautiful orange at this point. Expecting it to be somewhat mottled when it comes out of the mold which is still okay. It's calmed down and is resting now and I'll find out tomorrow what the final result will be.

Funny thing was, despite the name of the thread, I wasn't drinking. But you can be sure that I'm sitting down now, enjoying a nice hot cup of tea with rum so I can recover from the shock.

Bad enough to goof up twice in a day. But forgetting to put lye into my lye soap must have topped them all!
    • CommentAuthorLaurie R
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
      0 points
    HAHAHAHAHHAA!!! OMG CRACK ME UP, reading this first thing this morning! Too funny! Have to say that you have one upped me this time. :)
    Thanks goodness that the batch turned out well so far. Let us know how it looks when you cut it today! bet it's great :)

Thanks for the story!! loved it :))))
    Have a super day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnaBanana
      2 points
    LOL! Good one!

I just made a soap the other day with a new-to-me fragrance. Same ol' recipe for soap. I had everything nicely emulsified and then divided it to mix in colors. I saw it was starting to thicken up but didn't realize how fast it was moving until I tried to add the colors. The just stood on top. Uh oh. So I took a spoon to mix them in, but I already had soap. Like solid soap. Yikes!! I wasn't going to be defeated, so I got a heavy-duty spoon out and stirred in the colorants. Let me tell you, that was a workout!! Still, solid soap? Anyway, I glopped it into the mold, layer by layer, squishing it in, pushing it in, cussing it (oh, I said some really bad words!), and congratulated myself on one of the ugliest soaps I've done in a long time. Gah!!

I blamed the fragrance, but really I think it was the temperatures. Must have had the lye water too hot still. Did I mention I get impatient, have a short attention span? ;)
  1.   0 points
    Oh my heck you guys make me laugh so hard everyone in the office thinks I have lost my mind.
  2.   1 point
    All of this thread would be well and good and a bit funnier, if I hadn't actually done all of the above too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchrima
      1 point
    you mean you actually mixed oil and water and expected it to become soap? *high fives susan!*

anyways, it's out of the mold. it was a huge block, the outside looked pretty good. i cut the logs and towards the inside it was extremely soft. i managed to cut the logs into bars. the colors look actually kinda cool. kind of a marble effect with a mottled orange and off white with bits of translucent in between. there's quite a bit of oil seepage and in the middle there are some frayed pockets. i expected there to be lye seeping out but i didn't find any. i randomly tongue tested, none of it zings. not entirely sure what to make of this batch. i know i measured the lye correctly and with all the oil seeping, i would have expected there to be free lye somewhere. i took random pieces and washed my hands, but it felt quite nice, nothing harsh and no dry feeling. i will save a few of the nice bars from the outside and see how they cure out. rebatching the rest, just in case, and because the ones from the inside aren't really all that cosmetically appealing.
  3.   0 points
    Yup. waited, and stirred, waited and stirred. Finally added lye to some more water...voila, soap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMesha
      1 point
    I have yet to forget to mix in the lye- knock on wood- but I have forgotten to FO before. It was in one of my earliest batches so it was one of the 1st swirls I ever attempted. I was so proud of that swirl and it plain broke my heart to have to ruin it. I don't think I have repeated that mistake yet but then I usually mix my FO into my batches before I add the lye bcse it lets me adjust the scent level better. I do it that way bcse most of my batches are FO I haven't used before so I never know how much it will take. Yes- I know you aren't really supposed to do that but my batches aren't very big so I live dangerously. I recently got a big surprise though when a batch turned bright yellow from a FO. I got lucky though and it still came out as pretty looking batch.
    Now my recent mishaps have been the poppy seeds that I can't seem to find the end of and I forgot to add the sodium lactate to my most recent batch. I made that batch especially to experiment with what a difference the SL in it would make. For those of you who may have missed it I had poppy seeds sitting on the edge of my work-space in an unsealed cup and knocked them over. They ended up everywhere including the lotion I was making. Since them I am still picking stray poppy seeds out of the craziest places. NO more unsealed seeds for me ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorandee
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
      0 points
    Lol! I've had some "Whoops! What was I drinking?" mistakes. I think the biggest though was the my liquid soap mishap that had bubbles all over the blog kitchen AND liquid soap all over me!